World Triathlon Corporation
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 15h 20m 56s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

work up at 3:30 - breakfast - oatmeal with natural sugar and coffee; headed to race for SN bags drop-off, body marking, bus to swim star
Swim
  • 1h 00m 9s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

holy shit that was a fast swim - I hit the water at 7:49 (we were decently far back in line) - hit my GPS and the water and headed off - alternated breathing on left/right to try and avoid zig-zagging too much. while the current was fast, it didn't feel like it was - really hard to tell, I had no idea what my final time was under I saw results. As i rounded the buoy to head to swim exit had a cramp in calf which stopped me from being able to kick well
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 07m 59s
Comments:

decent run from swim exit to change tent - grabbed bag and headed for tent - didn't change from one-piece - threw on bike jersey with gear in the back pockets and headed out
Bike
  • 7h 51m 49s
  • 116 miles
  • 14.75 mile/hr
Comments:

i went out too hard on the first 10 miles (flat) which came back to haunt me on the second loop. The first 5 miles had multiple railroad tracks that contributed to the rough ride. My nutrition plan went to hell around mile 20 - I followed it for the first 1.5 hours, but when I grabbed my next set of food/ironman, my stomach just decided that was a no go. I didn't get sick, but knew that I needed to re-evaluate plan. Switched to grabbing bananas (at least 2) at each aid station with water; coke that was in my bag at SN helped me and I carried that/drank it for the next 10 miles or so.
It started to rain on the second loop around mile 90 - while nice, it made the ride a bit dicey a few times - I'm glad that I got at least one ride in during training during the rain - that really helped me feel better about handling skills.

don't go out so hard on the first loop - ride what you should, not what you can
Transition 2
  • 08m 17s
Comments:

got off the bike and knew my hip flexors were going to cause issues on the run

spent some more time in the tent and stretched out a bit - hip flexors were really stiff/sore
Run
  • 6h 12m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

that run about killed me - I came off the bike, feeling stiff/sore, but set off with my run/walk plan (4/2 interval like during training) - realized around mile 3 that I was going to need to adjust my plan - ended up walking from about m3 to m7 (at that time, was walking faster than running) - then tried to run again - lasted until hit the hills on the run (last 5 miles of each loop). tried to stick to my walk up/run down, but I was feeling burnt out - grabbing coke/chicken broth at each aid station - eating solid food (like plan) just didn't work - tried for first few miles and felt ill - C/CB got me through the run.

on the second loop, changed socks at SN - that may have just saved my feet - I could feel a hot spot brewing but couldn't see it to put anything on it (found it after blister between my toes) - took coke i had in my SN and sipped on that for the next 4 miles or so - really helped. Guy at mile 19 with salt also helped - he gave me a test tube thingy and I did a lick of salt every rest stop for the rest of the race which helped.

find more hills to run on - all of the elevation gain on the run was in the last 5 miles and I wasn't prepared - I spent so much time worrying about the bike, and should have been worried about the run
Post race
Warm down:

stretching, after coming through the chute; grabbed some food and then headed back to the cabin and feel asleep

What limited your ability to perform faster:

stiff hip flexors on the run - I think i should have arranged a couple of massage appointments in the month leading up to IM - the cumulative affect of training and then drive to Chatt had a negative affect - ART the day before did help however

Last updated: 2013-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:00:09 | 4224 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: point to point swim down TN river
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:51:49 | 116 miles | 14.75 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: course was 116m, not 112 due to rerouting prior to the race - 2 loop course
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 08:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:12:42 | 26.2 miles | 14m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop course from DT Chattanooga, through riverwalk, on Amicola highway, on the north side and then back - all elevation was in the last 5 miles of each loop
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-10-01 10:58 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman Chattanooga

2014-10-03 9:17 AM
in reply to: #5055755

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga

You did it!  Congrats!  Those long races don't always go according to plan...looks like you managed your way through it well.

2014-10-05 4:06 PM
in reply to: #5055755

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Awesome job all around and way to persevere on the run, those hills were some back breakers esp. on loop 2.

2014-10-06 6:54 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Originally posted by Sous

Awesome job all around and way to persevere on the run, those hills were some back breakers esp. on loop 2.

I thought i was going to die on that second loop! thank god for the guy with salt at mile 20 - that is where I hit the wall
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Chattanooga Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 2866 Posts: 11

2014-10-10 12:09 PM mtnbikerchk

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by Chris.1333
Views: 2068 Posts: 5

2014-10-05 4:10 PM Sous

chattanooga chase

Started by cornelius300
Views: 784 Posts: 1

2006-05-29 7:02 AM cornelius300

Chattanooga Waterfront

Started by bagordonjr
Views: 726 Posts: 1

2005-09-14 9:11 PM bagordonjr

Chattanooga Waterfront

Started by KSMITH
Views: 1379 Posts: 9

2005-07-18 8:46 PM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.