General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman in 4 weeks and today I got 'the boot'!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-01 6:19 PM

, North Carolina
Subject: Ironman in 4 weeks and today I got 'the boot'!!
I am four-ish weeks out (25 days) from a full ironman and today I was put in a boot for achllies issues. Doc says no running or elliptical for 3 weeks, but can swim, aqua jog, and bike. The week before the race I was told I can run easy and 'see how it feels'. I feel that my fitness is good, I have done 2 half's this summer, this isn't my first IM, and was aiming for about a 12:30-12:40 race. I know I can complete the distance and I would like to not have to walk the entire marathon. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this and does anyone have any experience using the Galaway Method? I thought this method may be less taxing on my foot and may help me get through the run since I will be undertrained. Thoughts?

2014-10-01 6:24 PM
in reply to: haley913

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman in 4 weeks and today I got 'the boot'!!
if you are 4 weeks out, you should have probably hit all (or almost all of your long runs right?)

I did galloway for IM Chatt with no issue - i didn't have a goal time like you do, I just wanted to finish but I think you should be ok - workout what we can - swim/bike etc
2014-10-01 6:25 PM

User image

Depends on what the "achilles issues" are.  Possibility of doing more long term damage by a forced death march in an IM, and if so worth it?

2014-10-01 6:36 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

, North Carolina
I have done very few long runs....I had not been running for about three weeks before I actually broke down and went to the doctor. I have run 16 miles as my longest run before I stopped to rest it....And my time goals are no more.

The issue is low near my heel. The pain it's now concentrated on either sides of my heal radiating underneath. I went to the doc because the pain changed from 'normal' achllies pain (that has been chronic for about 2 years) to the heal pain and I became more concerned.
2014-10-01 11:00 PM

User image

, California

I am just coming off 6 months of recovery from achilles issues. The "boot" didn't help, but PT did wonders. I would find a therapist ASAP and see if there are some good stretches and strengthening exercises you can do. Usually they are small movements and help to stretch the Soleus muscle that surrounds the achilles which does wonders for inflammation and pain. I would definitely check with the Physical Therapist to make sure it is strong and flexible before you race ( or any training) so you don't end up with long term/permanent damage.Good Luck!

2014-10-02 3:14 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
well it's good to listen to your Doc...but you might evaluate day-by-day using the boot.

I've been using the boot for a few months and it's been tremendous in helping my heel heal...

I found every night was progress basically..so you might see what happens over each week (to be conservative) and perhaps it will
strengthen enough to continue some running in your IM plan.

Don't give up! PF sucks and it's hard to get rid of. But conversely, you might be able to gain enough benefit from wearing the boot each night and still continue to run. This would most likely be against Doc's orders, so it's up to you.

2014-10-02 5:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have been dealing with achilles problems for 3 years.

If me, I would

a) Aquajog. This really helps preserve some fitness
b) Speak to my doc if other forms of treatment could be using along with the boot.
ART, acupuncture and eccentric heel drops did wonders in short periods of time.
2014-10-02 7:38 AM
in reply to: marcag

, North Carolina
Yes, this problem had been going on for about 2 years. Recentally the pain moved down into my heal and radiating under my heel and was more painful so I got concerned with this change.

I will be aqua jogging, I have been getting ART regularly for about 3 years so I have gotten a lot of stuff done on this area. Right now doc says no stretching, I asked about eccentric heel drops, I had been doing them and a lot of stretching but right now I think that's going more hard then good. Right now he wants to 'shut it down' no no movement and after a week I will start doing some PT for ROM etc. I will be doing electric stim (my friends had a machine) up to once a day.
2014-10-02 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I partially tore my left Achilles back in 2010.  Tried rest for about six weeks with no improvement, then ended up in a boot for three months, follwed by six  weeks of therapy.  Wasn't able to run for about almost six months.

My orthopedic surgeon told me I have degenerative Achilles tendinosis and am prone to rupturing either of my Achilles.  He advised my to avoid any sports that require sudden starts & stops, jumping or quick changes of direction, i.e., basketball, tennis, etc.

When I was able to start running again I began using the Galloway method as I built my mileage back up.  Not for cardio reasons, but to give my Achilles a periodic rest to keep it from getting swollen and sore.  I played around with different run/walk intervals to see how long I could go before I started to get any pain or discomfort.  I've gone anywhere from 1:1, to 6:1, but 4:1 seems to be my sweet spot.   

Good luck, hope you heal quickly.

Mark

2014-10-02 2:50 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Geez, I think the IM is lost. Unless have been misdiagnised and really dont have ahcilles issues . Would you be happy doing the swim and bike and posting a DNF?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman in 4 weeks and today I got 'the boot'!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Thanks for getting me in the pool today!

Started by kingofbanff
Views: 661 Posts: 3

2012-02-23 6:53 AM jaelinfunk

4 weeks til wisco Ironman and had a eye opener this week

Started by BuckHamilton
Views: 1468 Posts: 9

2011-08-15 11:45 AM mndiver

In a boot, and not a ski boot

Started by The Dude14
Views: 1328 Posts: 5

2010-11-08 8:05 PM QueenZipp

Getting My Bike Fit Today...Finally!

Started by mchubri`
Views: 772 Posts: 5

2009-11-04 12:31 AM audiojan

REI dividend came today...what are YOU getting???

Started by autumn
Views: 802 Posts: 2

2007-02-28 6:35 PM LaurenSU02
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?
date : September 16, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : August 19, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.
date : November 20, 2007
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.