General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Survey time! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-03 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Survey time!
Hi folks, you could help me out by completing this survey for me. Won't possibly take more than a couple of minutes.

Thanks! just click right here --->Training Data Survey

2014-10-03 8:35 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Survey time!
Done
2014-10-03 9:22 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Survey time!
Some of the early returns are in, thanks! I'm curious for those that said Data Analysis was important to them...what, exactly?

I'm admittedly trying to kick the hornet nest here and stir up a genuinely provocative discussion, but what does the analysis it tell you from a training perspective? I'm talking about TSS here, so if you're looking at it for cadence/stroke or power/pace consistency, that's a different concept, and let's leave that aside for now, because that's a simple thing to observe and a simple thing to understand. But talking about TSS, or more generically 'training load...'If I look at my TSS for a bike session, I find I nod my head and say, "aha, that was a big effort", or if I look at cumulative TSS for a week I might say "Gee, that was a light week for TSS", but I don't think that influences my training in a prescriptive way. It does *somewhat* influence my planning, however - meaning I won't plan a 'heavy' day following a 'heavy' day, unless it's followed by a 'light' day or 'recovery' day the next.

I'm not saying TSS is completely useless of course - if I've planned two workouts on Friday and another on Saturday for a cumulative load of (arbitrary number alert!) 100+50+75 =225 and the actual results were 101+51+ 40, that maybe tells me I was more tired on Saturday than I expected to be, so let's think about planning differently, but for me that's it. All it does is tell me to back down, and honestly, I don't need a number to tell me that, I can tell half way through Saturday's workout that I've overdone it. The numbers won't tell me if I didn't get enough sleep, have an injury I've been nursing, haven't been eating well, have some personal stress to deal with...etc. It just says WHOAH, maybe you should pull on the reins here. But TSS tells me there is a difference between 200 and 201 TSS. Sorry, I can't even remotely feel that difference.

Catch where I'm going with this? We've been conditioned to look at TSS because that's the number that spits out everywhere, but...does it make a difference to you whether your TSS was 90 or 100? It makes a difference to you if it's 60 or a 100 more likely, but that's just it - I think the number is WAY more granular than is even remotely necessary. I think you can break it down to simply:
Green: go for it, you're totally recovered. Proceed with gusto!
Yellow: you've been working hard there, buddy. You're a stud and you're going to nail it today, but don't whale on yourself. Proceed normally, but be sensitive to your recovery.
Red: You know what, you're a little tired. You might be doing this on purpose and trying to break through to a new level, or you might just be doing too much. You figure it out, but the data gnomes are worried about you.

There's too much weight put on these numbers I think. It somehow makes it cool to look at all of it, this big dashboard of STUFF that makes us feel like a machine, but let's discuss. I'm really starting to think that simple signalling is more valuable that pretending we're all scientists.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Survey time! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pool times vs open water time

Started by Rogillio
Views: 2410 Posts: 18

2005-12-20 1:00 PM jellyfish

"Official" time vs. MY time

Started by cobannero
Views: 575 Posts: 2

2005-08-15 1:34 PM jldicarlo

Chip time or official time?

Started by Wookiee
Views: 681 Posts: 6

2005-05-29 6:11 PM TH3_FRB

Pool Time vs Open Water Time- Your time comparisons

Started by jerry
Views: 1259 Posts: 5

2005-04-01 4:22 PM CLLinIA

First time back in the pool in a loooong time

Started by mtntrainer
Views: 704 Posts: 2

2004-11-19 9:09 PM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
comments : 0
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : May 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
This month I upped my bike time a lot but at relatively low intensity and I started experiencing pain on the outside lower part of my knee. It did not affect anything other than cycling.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.

date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
With a hectic schedule and the desire to throw in other forms of exercise, I went from following one of the training programs to doing my own. Would it be better to follow a training plan?
date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.

date : January 30, 2006
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.
date : January 30, 2006
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Ontherun
We triathletes are a lucky lot. We have the time and the resources to enjoy a sport that is time consuming and can be very expensive. I take this opportunity to reflect on my good fortune.