General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike? Wheels? Power Meter? Best way to spend $$ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-03 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: New Bike? Wheels? Power Meter? Best way to spend $$
Hey!!

So I have a 2003 Cervelo P2K which I LOVE. I have had it fitted and the only item I didn't tweak was the aerobars as they were not adjustable forward/back so I'm out an 1" from an ideal position according to two fitters I've seen. It's comfortable and in good working condition.

I'm jumping back into the long-distance races next year and I'm wondering the best way to spend $$ - is it worth it to buy a new bike (since mine is now 11 years old) or just buy a power meter and/or race wheels for my current setup along with new bars so that it's adjustable for a better fit?

Thanks!

2014-10-03 8:13 AM
in reply to: Silver_wlf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: New Bike? Wheels? Power Meter? Best way to spend $$

I would say power meter would be the best bang for the buck.  I would never stop someone from getting a new bike though.  I love shiny new things.

The other stuff is more aero related.  Jim Manton from ERO Sports has forgotten more about aerodynamics and bike fit than we will ever know.  His aero hierarchy is:

1. Position

2. Position

3. Position

4. Position

5. Position

6. Clothing

7. Helmet or wheels/tires

8. Helmet or wheels/tires

9. Clean front end (this could include aero bars, which may result in moving up this list quite dramatically depending on initial setup)

10. Hydration/Food setup

11. Frame

2014-10-03 9:42 AM

Power meter is one of the best things I've spent money on. That's where I'd spend my coin. If I had a lot of coin, I'd buy a new bike and a power meter!!

But I would agree with get your position dialed in. If that means a new cockpit on your old bike them spring for a new cockpit. Or seat post, or whatever. But get efficient in your position first.
2014-10-03 9:44 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro

I agree with GMAN on the power meter. It REALLY made me work harder/train smarter. And seeing my improvement in actual numbers really motivates me.

If you're comfortable on your bike with your fit, and you LOVE your bike, I'd keep it

2014-10-05 6:42 AM

Your situation depends upon "many" variables including how much room do you have in your budget:

The current bike has how wide of a rear triangle? ie-can you fit a 10 speed cassette on the rear wheel? If not, then maybe upgrading to a newer bike "package" might make sense. What kind of shape is the current bike in? Does it need an overhaul or should it be put on the indoor trainer?

The aerobars are not adjustable? Do you mean a new stem is needed or so you have an one-piece stem/aerobar front setup? Stems are cheap and getting the front end where you want/needed is the first priority. As for race wheels, purchase a cover (wheelbuilders.com) for the rear wheel and the money saved will pay for several race entry fees. Look for a used front wheel for additional savings.

Many choices for powermeters but remember you need a head unit (Garmin?) to read what is being produced.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike? Wheels? Power Meter? Best way to spend $$ Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Power Meter/Wheel = Training + Racing

Started by runninirish
Views: 1705 Posts: 9

2012-08-13 6:44 AM Oriondriver02

entry bike good wheels good bike ok wheels

Started by mlanahan
Views: 1112 Posts: 5

2012-01-21 4:23 PM rdailey1

power meter and wheel set

Started by evb4mvp
Views: 1351 Posts: 13

2011-11-07 10:59 PM evb4mvp

power meter and wheel set

Started by evb4mvp
Views: 493 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 11:32 AM evb4mvp

need recommendation power meter or disc wheel

Started by trix
Views: 2409 Posts: 21

2010-04-14 7:12 PM Skippy74
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.
date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.

date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.
date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : September 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Coach AJ reviews the Reynolds SDV 66 Racing Wheel and the PowerTap 2.4 SL Wireless Power Meter.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.