World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 50m 32s
Overall Rank = 1451/2500
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 55/
Pre-race routine:

Got up to Madison Thurs noc which was nice. Registered with no lines. Went for a 3 mi run that day, having some plantar heel pain afterwards. Ice/advil/elevation helped but made me nervous. Fri a.m. went for 20 min swim, water was warm. Saw very small buoys and was nervous about sighting. Turns out the big buoys were not put in the water yet (chill Renee). Went for a bike ride to make sure gears/shifting was all ok. Rode the stick to get to see course a little which was helpful.

Carb loaded the few days before. Did not eat ate pre-race dinner. Brought own bagels/tortilla chips. Drank Gatorade.

So nice to stay at hotel closest to the course. Had parents stay else where. Andrea, Karin, Steve, Jamie, Jess, and Andy all came for support / went to farmer's market and to dinner at El Dorado. Dave came up the following morning as did Marty, Michelle, and Emily. Great to have so much support.

Did not really sleep the night before. Set up bags, dropped off special needs that morning. Brought head phones, kinda quiet.
Event warmup:

Cliff bar at 4:30, Goo right before swim. No stretching. Did not really think about my foot pain. Normally this is when I freak out and get quiet and secretly have a panic attack. Felt good. Walked w/ JT through arch. Robby/Jeff/Jay all at swim start, nice to see them; high fived and wished each other a great day.
Swim
  • 1h 19m 52s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

division rank 55, gender rank 267, overall rank 1215

Could see my parents from the water, waved. Saw all the guys before the swim in the water, but ended up alone which was good. Kinda didn't want to talk. Decided to start wide, like 4-5 rows back.

The first 15-20 are crazy. Managed to avoid any direct kicks to the head and face. Kept my arms by my face at all time to avoid goggle shots. New goggles that I bought the day prior were great. No fog, thank god. I managed to keep swimming to the inside track and before I knew it I spotted a huge yellow buoy. I was on the inside lane! Thank you Jeremy for telling me the day before you could swim on the inside of the buoys. I did that the entire time and was basically alone. I did have to fight during the turns, but used my sweet technique (insert eye roll) to speed up the process. Kept sighting as best I could and eventually it was over.

The water was warm, not to wavy. Could def tell when we swam out that the wind was against us. Had Pearl Jam playing in my head (Rearview Mirror over and over again.)

Ran out of the water and found a stripper that helped. Kinda crazy to run up the helix soaking wet with everyone staring at you. I'm sure I looked like a crazy lady. Didn't see anyone.
What would you do differently?:

Great goggles. Liked where I started (outside 4-5 rows back). Try to swim to the inside again.

Forgot my heart rate monitor. Oops. Realized that while on the bike when I saw -- on my watch.

I swan 2.5 miles 2 times before the race, which was further than the actual race distance. This was great because I knew I could physically do it. It takes a long time, but I enjoy swimming. I wish I could breathe left, but you can't have it all. I managed to be able to breath every 4th arm stroke rather than my usual every other which was amazing. Swimming is still (I think) my favorite.
Transition 1
  • 09m 26s
Comments:

Went well. Thank god for (Jackie?, pretty sure that was her name). So helpful. Disoriented after swim, per usual. Helped by handing me stuff outta my bag. Rode in the clothes I swam in. Lots of glide.

Always put some different colored tape on your transition bags to make them stand out. Did this the morning of, very helpful.
Bike
  • 7h 01m 53s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.93 mile/hr
Comments:

division rank 56, gender rank 310, overall rank 1611

I was worried about never having ridden 112 miles before. I only rode 100 miles once, but did a few 75 mile rides and 2 back to back days of 80 miles (the course 2 loops Fri/Sat). Per my coach JT, this would be enough. I also had gotten new cleats fairly recently which were awesome, but caused some R knee pain. I had my pedals reset at Alberto's and it didn't bother me that day.

Starting out on the bike I felt good. I was excited to be done with the first leg of the race. I was wet and just happy to be on the bike. I ran to the bike in my cleats (didn't want to chance pissing off the already angry heel pain), ran with the bike to the mount-me station and rode down the helix (also a first).

The stick went fine, took my time as I saw a guy sitting with a C-collar on under one of the bridges. Got to the start of the loops (after Fireman's park) and thought well.....let's get this started.

On a side note; John Marino sent me a facebook message the night before the race and said, "don't burn all your energy the 1st loop of the bike because you still have another loop to go. Empty the gas tank on the marathon." I thought of that as I started and just wanted to be consistent.

I felt good, drank a ton at each water station, which kinda made me full. I had to spread out my goo a bit to help with digestion. I ate the chomp blocks to avoid "hunger pains" and drank Preform. I love my front water bottle, did I say that yet? Cause I love it. So helpful. Saw Andrea, Karin, Steve, and Jamie on the top of the 1st hill. I saw Jess / Devon there too. I got emotional, kinda started to cry and noticed my breathing was short and felt like I was going to have an asthma attack. No more crying after that. The hills were so easy the first loop with the crowds cheering you on. It was great. I remember seeing a man dressed as a devil on the first hill.

Alberto's gave me loaner demo tires which were AMAZING. So fast, so great. I killed people on the down hills. I was so grateful to have anything to make the bike go faster.

I got passed by eventually by Jay, then Silver, then Robbie. I figured that would happen as I had swam faster than them previously. I must have spotted much faster at my special needs bag (more butt cream please!!) because they eventually caught up with me again. Silver got a drafting penalty, hilarious. Robbie, Silver, and I rode together for a while but Robbie got calf cramps and fell behind. Silver and I rode for the last 3 hours together. Normally I can't keep up with him, but we took turns leading. It was nice to have the company and pass the time. He and Robbie both sent me such encouraging/positive texts this summer while training it was great to share the day with them.

I have 2 episodes of shooting pain in my R thigh on the bike. I actually thought I got stung by a bee because the electricity made my leg bang into the cross bar of my bike (twice). I told Silver, he told me to take in more salt tabs. I did and had no further issues. I had been taking a tab every 2 hours at this point, but had an extra.

The second loop was longer. The crowds dissipated. I only saw Chrissy at the top of the 1st hill. She kept screaming, "you're a bad botch, you're a bad botch." It was classic. That was her fav hastag of all my instagram training shots. My parents were at the Verona high school both loops. God bless them for hanging out all day.

I rode the stick back with Silver, but he went on a head. I got to the 100 mile marker and couldn't believe it. I rode the entire 2nd loop in my small chain. I wanted to save my energy. I went easy whenever there was a hill to save my legs.

I was so elated to be heading back to the helix. I survived my first 112 mile ride and completed the 2nd leg of my 1st Ironman. Holy shit. I never really hit me that I was gonna have to run for more than 5 hours, but I didn't care. For so long I had feared the bike course, getting a flat tire (had a refresher with JT the night before), nausea, low salt, and R knee pain the entire training season. It was done and in 7 hours....not the 10 I was think it would take.

I stopped eating and drinking at least 30 min prior to being done with the bike to avoid running with a full stomach.

Heart rate monitor. Salt tabs more frequently. Ride with a friend if possible for a while. Eat food that you can chew. Take it easy with the fluids, no chugging to avoid nausea. Butt cream, butt cream, butt cream. I am still looking for my perfect pair of cycling shorts.
Transition 2
  • 08m 5s
Comments:

I was worried about getting naked in transition, oh well it happened. I changed my shorts and of course put them on backwards which required my to expose myself twice. Nice. Helpful volunteer. Visor, new socks, laces already tied, a ton of vasoline everywhere and I was off.

It was now like 10 hours into my race and I still hadn't peed. I went to the port-o-potty outside transition before starting the run and finally did....barely. Good enough for me.

Put your short on the right way. Can I say more lube? Always more. Also I brought a water bottle belt with me. That thing drove me nuts for like 6 miles. I finally saw Mya and gave it to her, thank goodness. So much better with out it, it would not stop shifting (in addition to the GPS tracker that was already annoying me too).
Run
  • 5h 11m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

division rank 55, gender rank 298, overall rank 1451

Never ran a marathon before, most I did was an 18 miler in 3 hours. The day was cooling off and I again felt good. Started out at 9:30min miles....way to fast for my steady 10min mile pace. I am a machine, that Is what I am set at. I slowed down, just wanted to keep a decent pace and not have to walk. I saw Chrissy right after starting out, it was great. Lots of people at the capitol. Got into a rhythm, felt fine. Running through the football field was weird, too quite. Got turf in my shoe the second time that stayed in there, couldn't bend over or stop to get it out. Jess and Andy ran with me...a lot. They helped pass the time. Saw Jay, poor guy had GI upset. Ran together for a bit, but he couldn't go on with me. Saw JT for the 1st and only time outside the stadium. The miles kept going. Kept telling myself 25 more 1 mile runs, 19 more 1 mile runs. I walked every aid station. I drank Coke and ate oranges at everyone, except when I took salt tabs, then only water. I would rinse my mouth and play with the cups of water (put it on my hands to keep cool). I was so worried about getting my socks wet.

One foot in front of the other and then I got to the halfway. Saw my parents at the start of the 2nd loop by the finish line. They were still smiling. I ditched my sunglasses and visor, for a headband. Worked out well. More Vasoline all the time. The armpits were pretty bad during the run, but the lube helped a lot.

I remember just enjoying every minute of the run. Yes don't get me wrong it was long and daunting but I smiled. I made eye contact with people and they cheered for me. The said my name, said I had a good pace, and that I could do it. It was so nice to hear. I passed Jay, Silver, and Robbie. They were walking. I did not want to do that. I was determined to finish strong. I ran in the dark and after every aid station picked my pace back up. I think it was probably mostly the sugar high from at least 1L of regular soda ( I never drink that Shasta shit...ever) that made me happy, but I was completing a goal that I had worked so hard on too. I know how bad Jess wants to do an ironman. I was in her shoes the year before and now it was my chance to do it.

I didn't have cramps, my spirit was good. Jess and Andy got booted from the course at mile 24 so I could finish by myself. I ran past the capitol where I saw John the year prior and knew I was going to finish soon. I got very emotional as I came around the left turn to run down the path to the finish line. It makes me tear up as I write about it now. Everyone was screaming, the bright lights, hearing Renee Laskowski you are an ironman. Wow. I will never forgot it. It helps that I have it on video too.

The catchers caught me and asked if I was ok. I said "I don't know." I was just glad to be able to stop moving. I didn't hit me that I had done it. It still hasn't to be honest. I was just shocked I did a marathon.

I am grateful for the day, the experience, the training, and for the support. I am so blessed to have a body and spirit that is capable of preforming such a challenge. I see people everyday that struggle to live and I was able to complete a race that very few people would ever consider doing. I want to do it again. I want to challenge myself whether it is a tri or in some other area.

More Vasoline. Coke and oranges =) I did not sleep a wink that night.
Post race
Warm down:

wow. difficulty walking and using legs. chaffing on another level. probably should have stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

more training will always help

Last updated: 2014-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:52 | 4224 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 55/
Overall: 1215/2500
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: single loop. Swim out then left turn x 3.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:26
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
07:01:53 | 112 miles | 15.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 56/
Overall: 1611/2500
Wind: Some
Course: Ride the stick out (lots of small sharp turns, no passing single lanes, bumpy) then about 10-12 miles to loops. One big hill. Never rode here before, didn't know what to expect. 2, 40 mile loops. Rode the course multiple time this summer before the race which was SOOOOO helpful. You get to know what is coming up, down hills to look forward to, good stretches of flat road, hills, etc.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80s
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:11:16 | 26.2 miles | 11m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 55/
Overall: 1451/2500
Course: 2 loops, turned out to be hilly ( I walked every hill), ran off cement path when able
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %nope
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-04 5:58 PM

Subject: Ironman Wisconsin
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin (Steve-) Pages: 1 2

Started by Steve-
Views: 8744 Posts: 35

2005-10-02 7:47 AM jsargevt

Ironman Wisconsin

Started by aluminum1
Views: 4933 Posts: 23

2005-09-20 12:40 PM cpjohnson

Ironman Wisconsin

Started by weds19
Views: 2395 Posts: 21

2005-09-15 10:54 AM Writebrained

Ironman Wisconsin Pages: 1 2

Started by hdhtri
Views: 6887 Posts: 28

2005-09-21 11:16 AM mullinsm

Ironman Wisconsin Pages: 1 2

Started by moondance
Views: 3892 Posts: 31

2005-09-19 12:18 PM tnickerson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I'm a fairly good climber but don't want to blow up on the run. I'm 60 and have a FTP of 230 watts. Any suggestions?

date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.
date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.

date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?
date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.

date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.