General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Here to crank it up Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-06 7:16 PM

Subject: Here to crank it up
Hi everyone, I"m so glad I found you!

I love to swim in open water, ride hard for fun and get a great high from running. The I must admit notion of competing in a triathalon is a new one for me but it also seems like very natural pursuit. Lucky for me I live in paradise where we have nice weather and a good olympic length event every August.
Here's my hang-up - If I wanted to just swim, bike, run for fun I would save the money on the entrance fee, and host my own private event on some other Saturday or Sunday. If I'm going to be in a competition I want to PERFORM, sure I'm not going to be in the same solar system as the seasoned vets or elites but I don't want to be finisher #589 either. "Just finishing" may be the practical goal for most first timers but that is just not going to motivate me enough. I'm highly athletic but need help to define some realistic goals. If I set my sights on the next local event in August I've got some good time to train. I guess the best thing would be to find a mentor. Until then I'd love to hear the communal wisdom.

All the best!

Chris from Santa Barbara, CA

P.s. As I write this my shorts are still wet from swimming and my sandy shoes are strew about next to me. Live is good.

2014-10-06 7:56 PM
in reply to: cfmaurer

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Here to crank it up
Hi Chris,

Welcome from sunny CA! Sounds like you have a great background for the sport and I'm sure you'll do well. I say go for the gold and set yourself a high goal to perform. I hear you on race fees...but for me it's worth the competitive atmosphere of doing actual races. I bust my way harder when there is competition, as opposed to just going out and doing my own multi-sport trainings.

Happy training!
2014-10-06 10:18 PM
in reply to: keyone

Subject: RE: Here to crank it up
Thanks for the welcome. Good point about the raw motivation and competition, and the camaraderie the day of event is always a bonus. I guess I'll have to focus on the establishing some current baselines and target progress goals from there.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Here to crank it up Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?
date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.

date : October 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The Quattro pedal is Crank Brothers’ formal offering for the road cycling set. The company has taken their simple but effective EggBeater design and added a low profile platform.
date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.