General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kent Bicycle Surprise Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-09 9:46 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: Kent Bicycle Surprise
I had to share my experience with Kent customer support.

I currently ride a GMC Denali (yes, I rock the WalMart-Fab bike, lol!). I've been wanting to change out the crankset, primarily because it has a mountain bike crankset and I could really use a few more teeth up front. My BB started tapping not too long ago, so this gives me the perfect excuse. My biggest problem is figuring out what the BB specs are so I know what to replace it with. Since Kent produced this line of bikes, I fired off an eMail to their support team last night:

I just have a quick question. I have a GMC Denali (L130813108) that needs a bottom bracket replacement. I am not worried about a warranty repair since I am planning on upgrading the crankset as well. I just need to know what style the BB is (screw-in, press-in, etc), what tool(s) I need to remove it, and what dimensions I need to look for in a replacement.

I'll be honest, I really like the bike, and I'd hate to have to replace it to get the gearing I want. I've put over 800 miles on it since March, and it has carried me marvelously through 2 sprint triathlons and the 40-mile course for Tour de Cure Memphis.

Thanks in advance!

I received a reply this morning that frankly surprised me a little bit...

Hello Rick,

Your B.B is an English threaded B.B, the size of your B.B is 68mm and the spindle 122.5mm. The only special tool you’ll need is a crank arm puller to pull the crank arm off the spindle. Glad to hear that enjoy our bike and that you’ve been putting some good mileage on it. We appreciate you selecting our bike out of the many different options out there. We would like to know your shipping address as we would like to ship a set tires for all the mileage you have put on. If you have any questions feel free call or email me.

Regards,

Jon Hanson
Customer Service Technical Advisor

Not only did I not expect a such a prompt reply (I've had issues in the past), but I honestly expected to get no information out of them since I was altering their product. Call me a bit jaded, but that was my mindset. Not only did I get a reply in less than 12 hours, but I got the information that I need and they're sending me a set of tires of top of that. I'm have to admit I'm quite happy... Now I've gotta look to see what Kent offers in a high-end bike because that time will come...

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-10-09 9:59 AM

2014-10-09 10:25 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Kent Bicycle Surprise
It's great that you like your bike and enjoy riding it, however you need to re-think putting money into it. It is very low end, to have parts failing at 800 miles is really not good. Your probably going to spend at least $200 putting a new crank on that bike, then the derailers will go bad in another 500 miles and you'll have spend another $200-300 to replace those. That's for lower end replacement parts.

Go to some bike shops and take a couple bikes out for a test rides and see how much better they really are. You can get an entry level bike from a shop for $700-$800 miles that will last far longer that what your on now. If you can't afford that, test ride some anyway; then start looking at used bikes. Right now is end of season, lots of bike shops have stuff on sale.

2014-10-09 12:35 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

I agree, and your logic is spot-on, but I do have my reasons:

-This bike was a gift from my wife, it means quite a bit to me for that reason alone.
-Any parts that I replace gives me working knowedge of bikes in general... and I enjoy the tinkering
-When it does come time to upgrade, If I've replaced enough parts, I can always swap into a different frame instead of a whole unit
Finally:
-I'm a cheap bugger and I have a hard time wrapping my head around paying more for a bike than most cars I've owned.

My last 3 vehicles: 1997 Aerostar ($700), 1991 S10 ($300), 1994 S10 ($500) <~~ It's good to be an auto tech sometimes!
2014-10-09 12:48 PM

Master
Northern IL

Reason #1 is plenty good to keep what you're doing this time! But before you get a new bike, do try pricing out the various ways. Especially with less expensive ones, it's generally most economical to buy the whole bike at once. And by a substantial margin unless you can find incredible discounts on things.

2014-10-09 12:51 PM

User image

It is good to hear that someone had a good customer service experience. BTW, I really like your avatar.
2014-10-09 12:57 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Reason #1 is plenty good to keep what you're doing this time! But before you get a new bike, do try pricing out the various ways. Especially with less expensive ones, it's generally most economical to buy the whole bike at once. And by a substantial margin unless you can find incredible discounts on things.

Oh, my inner cheapskate will have me shopping around that's for sure! Of course, when it happens it will most likely be during the usual year-end sell offs. An additional bonus will be overall speed when I do change. If I can tickle the 20mph range for a whole sprint (I can hit mid-20's now but can't hold it... engine work!) with this 27 pound bike, then upgrading will be a huge boost to my performance.

Originally posted by happyscientist

It is good to hear that someone had a good customer service experience. BTW, I really like your avatar.

That's why I had to post it. And thanks about the avatar, I can't remember where I found it tho...

2014-10-09 2:06 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak I agree, and your logic is spot-on, but I do have my reasons: -This bike was a gift from my wife, it means quite a bit to me for that reason alone. -Any parts that I replace gives me working knowedge of bikes in general... and I enjoy the tinkering -When it does come time to upgrade, If I've replaced enough parts, I can always swap into a different frame instead of a whole unit Finally: -I'm a cheap bugger and I have a hard time wrapping my head around paying more for a bike than most cars I've owned. My last 3 vehicles: 1997 Aerostar ($700), 1991 S10 ($300), 1994 S10 ($500) <~~ It's good to be an auto tech sometimes!
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm, some better bikes cheaper than your past cars!

2014-10-09 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

That's why I had to post it. And thanks about the avatar, I can't remember where I found it tho...

Re: the avatar - I believe I have seen it here on BT ... IIRC, it was either an avatar or a tattoo design by a BT member....
2014-10-09 7:48 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
New shimano BB = $25
a NOS crankset (like 105 level) from ebay = $50
Park tool crank arm puller=$15.
Bottom bracket tool = $15

Will take less than an hour for someone entirely clueless - it is a 15 min job. Use lots of grease, be gentle on threads. Have fun
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kent Bicycle Surprise Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I got a surprise..new road bike...

Started by riorio
Views: 573 Posts: 7

2006-09-24 12:02 PM tech_geezer

Surprise indoor tri!

Started by redbullgt337
Views: 683 Posts: 4

2006-02-26 11:23 AM phoenixazul

How have you surprised yourself with this sport? Pages: 1 2

Started by trilover
Views: 2052 Posts: 40

2005-09-23 4:11 PM KSlostStar

A great surprise

Started by Tribry262
Views: 759 Posts: 7

2004-12-16 1:09 PM Machiavelo

Goody Bag Surprise Pages: 1 2

Started by zagagirl
Views: 1472 Posts: 42

2004-08-16 8:18 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.

date : August 5, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Is your bike seat uncomfortable? Are your parts going numb? This article discusses the important concepts of bicycle seat neuropathy, treatment and prevention.
date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems

date : September 19, 2004
author : Machiavelo
Do you have a bicycle and do not know where to begin to find one if you do not? How should go about choosing a bicycle that will be best suited for your needs?
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?

date : August 31, 2004
Bikes need to be treated as vehicles by those who ride them.