General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Numbness - saddle suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-10 6:00 AM

Subject: Numbness - saddle suggestions?
I have been having problems for a while with genital numbness. In order to remedy this I went for a full bike fit and a new saddle. I've been through a stack of ISM and the SMP TRH (not out yet) and nothing has helped. Numbness starts occurring after about 20 mins The shop I'm using is happy to order something in if they don't stock it, just wondering what else anyone who has had this problem would recommend.

2014-10-10 6:06 AM
in reply to: LiveInHope

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Numbness - saddle suggestions?
I'm a little biased, but Cobb has a couple of saddles that should help a lot with the problem you are describing.

Give them a call (903) 253-8555 and give them some information (weight/bike/riding style/etc) and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Also 90 day guarantee so if you don't like it send it back.
2014-10-10 7:01 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

I'm a little biased, but Cobb has a couple of saddles that should help a lot with the problem you are describing.

Give them a call (903) 253-8555 and give them some information (weight/bike/riding style/etc) and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Also 90 day guarantee so if you don't like it send it back.

90 day gurantee! I wish I knew about that when I had my issues. I switched to ISM and it hurt A LOT at first, but now I love it. Good luck with Cobb.
2014-10-10 12:12 PM

Is this for a road bike or a TT bike?

I tried an Adamo saddle on my road bike for several months in attempt to alleviate numbness issues, but I never got totally comfortable with it. I switched to a Selle Italia Max Gel Flow saddle a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it.

http://www.selleitalia.com/en/prodotti/road/pagina_max-flite

I just recently ordered a TT bike, and I will plan to use the Adamo saddle for that one because the "traditional" saddle nose causes discomfort when I'm in aero position, but I would still recommend to check out the Selle Italia if you like the traditional saddle design.
2014-10-10 12:36 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I had the exact same issue (that's assuming you're male of course) and I found simply tilting the seat down in the front helped tremendously. For me, the front of the seat was pushing on the soft tissue causing the numbness.
2014-10-10 3:58 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Having had the same problem I understand the frustration. As has been suggested, watch the angle of the seat. That did certainly help. As for the saddle itself, any recommendation is a true account of what worked for them. Unfortunately that may mean nothing to you. You need to find one of the many places that will allow you to try out a saddle for yourself. I ended up going with a saddle that had a shorter nose and slightly wider back.

There are so many factors that go into this very personal choice for you. Best thing I can say is that I am sure there is a saddle out there for you that you can ride in comfort without pain or numbness. Embrace the journey.

2014-10-10 4:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Who did the bike fit and what were their qualifications? Not all bike fits are equal. Disappointing you are having saddle issues after bike fit. Issues after 20 minutes on the bike means you have something major wrong in fit or fit/saddle combination.

Call you fitter and discuss your issue. Most fits allow follow up and adjustments after your initial consultation for free or minimal charge. Your fit was not not successful since you are still uncomfortable very quickly when you ride.

Don't buy saddles from local shop unless they will take them back if they don't work out. Cobb saddles are great at letting you try them out and if they don't work full refund. Other shops have lending library of saddles you can try then buy. Others allow returns within a 10-14 day period. If you keep buying one until it works you may be out a lot of money.

2014-10-10 8:06 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

X

Agree 100% on the Cobb saddles. Tried several but Cobb was the only one that provided comfort. Great customer service.

Make sure you follow the leveling instructions. I put a flat book on my saddle and then a small level.
2014-10-11 7:16 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Cobb is a solid advise, works for many, ISM (Adamo) is another option that you'll either love or can't fit. One that seems to be overlooked quite often is the Bontrager Hilo RXL (and the Speed Dial version). There's no one single saddle that fits everyone, so it's almost impossible to come up with a good recommendation…

Before you start swapping saddles though, make sure you have a solid bike fit. Most saddle issues are actually not that, but rather a fit issue.
2014-10-11 8:31 AM
in reply to: audiojan

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by audiojan Cobb is a solid advise, works for many, ISM (Adamo) is another option that you'll either love or can't fit. One that seems to be overlooked quite often is the Bontrager Hilo RXL (and the Speed Dial version). There's no one single saddle that fits everyone, so it's almost impossible to come up with a good recommendation…

Before you start swapping saddles though, make sure you have a solid bike fit. Most saddle issues are actually not that, but rather a fit issue.

Second to that notion. These aren't massive couches you just fall into. Have to put in a little time looking at the whole position.

2014-10-12 12:21 PM

User image

I had the same problem. Adamo solved it for me.

2014-10-12 6:47 PM
in reply to: b2run

Cobb worked for me. You may also need to "toughen" your body areas that are in contact with the saddle. As previously mentioned, there can be "other" factors with this issue including the bike/tri shorts you use.
2014-10-13 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
ISM Adamo vote here.
2014-10-13 9:37 PM
in reply to: 0

Thanks for all the advice, the saddle is on a road bike, but configured in TT position (aero bars, etc) .

The company i've been going through for the bike/saddle have been hugely accommodating. Been back in virtually every week for the last 6 months. Not only different saddles, but different positions too, nose down, etc. It's been suggested to me by a friend that how you sit on a saddle makes the biggest difference. I.e. engaging the core muscles to take the weight off the perineum. I do a bit of core stuff, so I think mine is OK, but really tried to focus on it when cycling, don't think it's made much difference though. With those that problems were solved by an ism, was it a hard or cushioned one? I think the ones i've tried are mostly cushioned, so wondering if a harder saddle may help?

Edited by LiveInHope 2014-10-13 9:38 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Numbness - saddle suggestions? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Numbness, Whats the best Saddle?

Started by PESawyer
Views: 2424 Posts: 10

2012-04-02 1:22 PM camaleon

Interesting NY Times Article on Bike Saddles & Numbness

Started by Far Left Texas
Views: 2360 Posts: 12

2011-06-28 3:47 PM NewClydesdale

Saddle Question. Butt numbness

Started by hrliles
Views: 821 Posts: 4

2009-09-07 9:29 PM CraigT

Saddle suggestions

Started by LittleCat
Views: 927 Posts: 4

2009-02-10 5:34 PM hubcitytriguy

Male numbness in the saddle? Pages: 1 2

Started by otter68
Views: 2189 Posts: 28

2008-03-05 11:40 AM greenmtnman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?

date : May 12, 2008
I started having trouble a couple months ago with a tightness and almost numbness in my anterior left leg and top of foot during running. It feels sort of dead.
date : April 14, 2008
What you're describing sounds very much like chronic exertional compartment syndrome. This can cause pain and numbness like you're describing.

date : August 7, 2007
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.

date : March 5, 2006
A number of vascular changes occur in the body during activity. In general, these changes are beneficial, the blood vessels dilating and constricting in order to shunt blood where our bodies need it.