General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Outside foot pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-13 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
Subject: Outside foot pain
Hey everyone,

Wanted to see if anyone out there has the same injury as me and what can be done to help get rid of it.

About 3 weeks ago, I was running and after about half a mile I started to feel some pain on the outside of my left foot. I was running in Vibram's on soft trail and this was not the first time I have done this. I stopped running after this mostly because it was too painful to run and am still waiting to see how long it would take for this pain to go away.

From the videos and instructions, I see that it is not a stress fracture. There is no swelling and no pain when I push on any metatarsal bones.

The only pain I have is when pushing outside in on the part where the pinky meets the metatarsal bone. The pain is only present when pushing and my foot is relaxed. When I tense the foot, the pain is not there.

Has anyone had something similar happen?

Thank you all for your help!

I cannot wait to get back to running so this time off is brutal for me.

2014-11-22 8:52 AM
in reply to: #5059317

User image

Subject: RE: Outside foot pain
I've had this pain and wondered about it too?! I do not wear zero drops or flat shoes as I have an injury that would finish my tri career overnight if I so much as attempted. (I couldn't walk for about 6 weeks I was in so much pain; that's a separate issue anyway). I just wondered if you had found anything further about this?

I'm wondering if something has just popped that little bone out of place - I had a chiropractor "pop it back in" pre race in the summer and I've started to notice now when it does hurt. I did something too it earlier this week and it's feeling better now but I wonder if I've popped it again.
2014-11-22 10:07 AM
in reply to: Maks Tri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I may be experiencing a similar issue. I was also running in some minimalist shoes (Merrell MixMasters) and started to get the same pain as you describe it. For me, it hasn't gone completely away, but the intensity has subsided a great deal and I'm able to run. I think my problem was the shoes being to tight around my forefoot and/or maybe the lack of cushion in the shoe. So I decided to get a shoe with wider toe box and with some cushioning. I got the Brooks Ghost 7. I'm able to run and have not increased the pain levels. So far so good.

I'm thinking I might try the Altra zero drop shoes as they have a wide toe box and also have cushioning. They look a bit funny, but if they work, heck why not. For now I'll stick with the Brooks and see how it goes.
2014-11-22 2:17 PM
in reply to: #5069185

User image

My chiropractor told me in no uncertain terms to stay away from zero drop and barefoot shoes as they cause and exacerbate these kinds of problems. I now have a collapsed arch along with the Achilles tendonitis and this little bone pain so I'm steering clear. I actually run in brooks ghosts too but need to double check which shoes are good for over pronators now. I'd suggest going to get your biomechanics and gait checked out before buying your next pair of shoes.
2014-11-22 4:30 PM
in reply to: journeytoironwoman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by journeytoironwoman

My chiropractor told me in no uncertain terms to stay away from zero drop and barefoot shoes as they cause and exacerbate these kinds of problems. I now have a collapsed arch along with the Achilles tendonitis and this little bone pain so I'm steering clear. I actually run in brooks ghosts too but need to double check which shoes are good for over pronators now. I'd suggest going to get your biomechanics and gait checked out before buying your next pair of shoes.

Yeah, given what you've written I'd stay clear of zero-drop and minimalist shoes.
2014-12-09 11:47 PM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
A quick follow up... so far the pain has subsided even further. Switching up my shoes has done the trick! Yup!!

2015-01-02 5:44 PM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

Great to hear!!

I found out what was causing my pain too! My biomechanics - running pigeon toed and forcing my bodyweight onto my arches! Working hard to correct it every run now!
2015-01-03 12:39 AM
in reply to: journeytoironwoman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Hey! That's great! Hope it works and you are pain free soon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Outside foot pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pain on the outside of my foot

Started by louamerica
Views: 896 Posts: 2

2010-08-24 11:30 PM kiwee

Outside of Foot Pain

Started by Moose22
Views: 875 Posts: 4

2008-11-09 7:00 PM nscrbug

foot pain - middle-outside of foot

Started by paddle2paddle
Views: 4907 Posts: 11

2008-02-02 9:30 AM wgraves7582

pain outside edge of feet?

Started by CBarnes
Views: 1066 Posts: 4

2007-10-04 8:40 AM CBarnes

outside right foot pain

Started by leftd
Views: 1481 Posts: 5

2006-12-11 6:38 PM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 10, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I will describe the more common running foot injuries and discuss contributing risk factors as well as treatments and corrections for prevention.

date : December 18, 2012
comments : 0
I expected to hurt after the marathon, and I did but there was nothing that I was immediately alarmed about. Since then, the foot pain that popped up after the marathon has not really gone away.
date : September 21, 2012
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : August 24, 2009
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.

date : February 11, 2009
I have a pain on the far left side of my left foot, all the way to the left and a little in front of the heel. It hurts after I run for 45 minutes or so. It hurts pretty badly for the next 48 hours.
date : May 12, 2008
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.

date : July 30, 2006
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.