General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood donation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-16 4:27 PM

Subject: Blood donation
Anybody gives blood around here. I used to give once or twice a year. I figure it is a nice and an easy way to help.

Last time I gave blood, I had difficulties during the swimming training sessions. Mainly for exercises where you have to hold breath. (breath per strokes or lengths without breath) Sometimes in other exercises when pushing very hard. This lasted approximately a month, almost two.

I wonder if others triathlete give blood and what their experience is about it?

2014-10-16 4:41 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
Subject: RE: Blood donation
I donate too. Sometimes it doesn't bother me at all and other times workouts can be tough for about a week. I plan my donations several days before long or intense workouts and at least 1.5-2 months before a race. I'm training for Ironman AZ and haven't given at all this year. As an O- donor the blood bank is eagerly awaiting my return from Tempe!
2014-10-16 4:44 PM
in reply to: #5060679

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
My coach says it takes 2 full months to get back to full training capabilities after giving blood.

I'm not able, but I give many thanks to those who do, they saved my son's life more than once.
2014-10-16 4:59 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by erincs

My coach says it takes 2 full months to get back to full training capabilities after giving blood.

I'm not able, but I give many thanks to those who do, they saved my son's life more than once.

Wow! I am very glad you son is alive and I feel very moved to hear about it!

Thanks!

Edited by Antoine tri 2014-10-16 5:00 PM
2014-10-16 5:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I usually take a full day off after donating, and then don't swim the day after that. I've personally never had any issues but I am guessing this is a very individualistic thing.
2014-10-16 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I try to donate regularly but generally avoid it during my spring and summer race season.
The blood services people like my blood because in addition to being O negative (universal donor), I'm CMV negative - the combination is sometimes referred to as "baby blood". http://www.communitybloodservices.org/news_view.php?dim=265&type=ev...

I avoid training the day that I donate blood and I have to accept that my pace will be a little slower for a week or so.
Don

2014-10-16 7:51 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

It will affect different people different amounts of time to get back to normal again-- depends on your iron stores and hemoglobin levels. Some people can bounce back more quickly than others, but everyone will have to make more red blood cells and more hemoglobin.

I used to donate regularly, but am not allowed to donate because my ferritin is always too low (but they don't test that at the donor clinic).
2014-10-16 9:04 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Make sure you're hydrated and you shouldn't have any issues. I give regularly and I'm always good the next day. If you're worried you can always donate platelets. It takes a longer time, but doesn't seem to have any affect on me. You pop in a movie and sit for about 1.5 hours.
2014-10-16 9:50 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

Originally posted by jmcconne

Make sure you're hydrated and you shouldn't have any issues. I give regularly and I'm always good the next day. If you're worried you can always donate platelets. It takes a longer time, but doesn't seem to have any affect on me. You pop in a movie and sit for about 1.5 hours.

Very good suggestion, I will see what components I can give and the impact they have both to me and to the recipients (needs). There is a blood donation center near my place, I am sure they will be happy to provide information.
2014-10-16 9:56 PM
in reply to: iswimslo

Originally posted by iswimslo

I donate too. Sometimes it doesn't bother me at all and other times workouts can be tough for about a week. I plan my donations several days before long or intense workouts and at least 1.5-2 months before a race. I'm training for Ironman AZ and haven't given at all this year. As an O- donor the blood bank is eagerly awaiting my return from Tempe!

This is also a very good suggestion. The off season is here so I will schedule it intelligently. Thanks for the feedback.
2014-10-16 10:08 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

It will affect different people different amounts of time to get back to normal again-- depends on your iron stores and hemoglobin levels. Some people can bounce back more quickly than others, but everyone will have to make more red blood cells and more hemoglobin.

I used to donate regularly, but am not allowed to donate because my ferritin is always too low (but they don't test that at the donor clinic).

Interesting. Ferritin being what holds/release iron in the blood, Is testing for iron the same as testing ferritin. They always test for Iron over here.

2014-10-16 10:13 PM
in reply to: donw

Originally posted by donw

I try to donate regularly but generally avoid it during my spring and summer race season.
The blood services people like my blood because in addition to being O negative (universal donor), I'm CMV negative - the combination is sometimes referred to as "baby blood". http://www.communitybloodservices.org/news_view.php?dim=265&type=ev...

I avoid training the day that I donate blood and I have to accept that my pace will be a little slower for a week or so.
Don

Quite impressed at all the interesting things I see here. My blood is not rare at all, I am O positive which is the most common blood. When they say the CMV is a common virus, are you aware if it is more common to have it or not to have it?
2014-10-16 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I just did a bit of Googling and found one source saying that 50 - 80% of adults have been exposed to cmv by the time they are 40. I didn't know i was cmv- and had been donating for a couple of years before one of the nurses at the clinic happened to mention it. I'm going to ask at my next donation if I'm still cmv- since I could still be exposed at any time.
2014-10-16 10:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by Antoine tri

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Interesting. Ferritin being what holds/release iron in the blood, Is testing for iron the same as testing ferritin. They always test for Iron over here.

No- when you donate blood they only test for hemoglobin (the oxygen-carrying protein in your red-blood cells, that also contains iron). That's the more standard "iron" test. Your hemoglobin can be ok even if your ferritin is low. The ferritin test is more involved and can't be done on the spot.

I should clarify that my doctor has advised me not to donate blood because of my often-low ferritin levels. If I go to the blood clinic, I would probably pass their tests, but one of the questions they ask is if you are taking iron supplements for diagnosed low iron, which I am. That's an exclusion criterion as well.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-10-16 10:49 PM
2014-10-17 8:13 AM

User image

Miami
I am 0 negative and tried to donate blood many times here in the US, but they reject my blood because I am from Europe (Spain). I wish I could donate, but apparently here in the US they don't like our blood for some reason... Go figure!

I try to donate every time I go to visit my family though and I didn't feel too differently as long as I take the day after off.
2014-10-17 11:39 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Originally posted by davidfedez I am 0 negative and tried to donate blood many times here in the US, but they reject my blood because I am from Europe (Spain). I wish I could donate, but apparently here in the US they don't like our blood for some reason... Go figure! I try to donate every time I go to visit my family though and I didn't feel too differently as long as I take the day after off.

If I recall correctly that has to do with the Mad Cow disease outbreak.

2014-10-17 11:54 AM

User image

Pro

I give regularly (2-4 times per year for 20 years or so) and usually let them tell me what they need, whole blood, platelets, double red cells.......the double red cell donation can occasionally knock me off of regular training for a few weeks, but I sure sleep good.     I don't know about the doctor that said it takes a couple months after giving blood to get back to training form.  I don't know anybody that follows anything like that and they all seem to survive it and be back to normal training pretty quick. (except the oduble red as I said)

If you are able, consider giving blood......it's needed so much more than you think.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-10-17 11:57 AM
2014-10-17 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I used to give blood twice a year without fail. I started doing it in college when our whole swim team donated. The recovery time can vary widely but at that age it was a few days max. Even as I got older it was still never more than a few days for me but I do know some that a week is common.

I still donate when the blood bank reaches out to me but it's overan hour drive so not as often as I used to.

That said, I am not a FOP guy and if they called a few days before a race in need, I would donate anyway. There will always be another race but for the people who need that blood, there may not be even another day.

To all who donate not just blood, but their time, money and efforts in support of those in need THANK YOU!
2014-10-19 12:33 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I donate platelets which takes 1 to 1.5 hours each time. I usually donate shortly after a workout. Recovery is much quicker than if I donated whole blood, which removed oxygen carrying red blood cells.
2014-10-20 5:01 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

I donated earlier this year, on my birthday in fact, which was exactly a week after my first half marathon (which took a fair bit out of me).

I found swimming quite hard the day after, and my running was a lot harder and slower than usual. I think, as I am new to all this, I learn what recovery time is. But coupled with the bad weather at the time, left me a little unmotivated!
2014-10-20 9:42 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Originally posted by Left Brain

I give regularly (2-4 times per year for 20 years or so) and usually let them tell me what they need, whole blood, platelets, double red cells.......the double red cell donation can occasionally knock me off of regular training for a few weeks, but I sure sleep good.     I don't know about the doctor that said it takes a couple months after giving blood to get back to training form.  I don't know anybody that follows anything like that and they all seem to survive it and be back to normal training pretty quick. (except the oduble red as I said)

If you are able, consider giving blood......it's needed so much more than you think.

This...

Donating whole blood and I'm good the next morning for whatever workout. But when I donate double red cells(ALYX), it definitely affects my traing for at least 2 weeks. Last year it was 3 weeks after a double red donation to get back to my normal training times.
When I have a race on the horizon... like 4-6 weeks out, I'll stick with whole blood donation and I'm good to go.

--
Dave

2014-10-20 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Used to donate regularly.  Haven't been able to since I started taking Coumadin fourteen years ago.

Mark

2014-10-20 10:41 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I donate regularly, usually every 8 weeks, but I'll postpone for a month or so if I have races coming up that I want to do well in. Lower intensity workouts don't seem to bother me even if they start only 8 or 10 hours after the donation. Higher intensity, for me, is affected noticeably for a week or two.

I had already been donating for many years when, several years ago, my father was diagnosed with leukemia and the doc said "not the good kind." They kept him going for a bit with several transfusions. I don't know if he would have gotten my blood but it was the right type and it helped to know that I may have contributed.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood donation Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Blood Donation and Triathlon

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 2279 Posts: 18

2008-06-12 11:55 AM fatmouse

Training and Blood Donation

Started by paTRIck
Views: 625 Posts: 13

2006-07-14 7:27 PM drdi

Blood Donation

Started by tupuppy
Views: 1220 Posts: 16

2006-08-06 6:28 PM DerekL

Best training after blood donation?

Started by Micawber
Views: 1097 Posts: 17

2005-10-21 11:48 AM mscotthall

Effect of blood donation and training....

Started by Hudnick
Views: 1201 Posts: 16

2005-01-27 2:50 PM akabak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Initially most patients with mitral valve regurgitation have normal heart function. But when the heart starts to function poorly, patients will start to become more short of breath with exertion.

date : September 4, 2006
Athletes with diabetes can exercise and compete at a high level. Exercise can help control blood sugars, particularly in Type 2 diabetics, but it can also worsen them if you are not in good control.
date : September 3, 2006
comments : 2
If you are one of those athletes, and the compartments don’t easily expand, the pressure within increases with exercise. This can stress the muscle as well as the nerves and blood vessels.

date : May 1, 2006
Exercise-related hyponatremia (low sodium in the blood) is a rare cause of death in endurance athletes. Symptoms include headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, difficulty breathing and seizure.
date : March 5, 2006
A number of vascular changes occur in the body during activity. In general, these changes are beneficial, the blood vessels dilating and constricting in order to shunt blood where our bodies need it.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.
date : May 16, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
Perhaps you, too, have wondered about the role of salt, or more correctly, sodium (the part of salt associated with high blood pressure) in your diet. This article can help you figure that out.

date : September 19, 2004
author : malvey
The next time you see one of your kids or grandkids, look deep into their eyes and know that they would give anything to have you around for five, ten fifteen, or even twenty more years.