General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping heart rate while keeping the pace Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-20 9:33 AM

User image

Milpitas, CA
Subject: Keeping heart rate while keeping the pace
One of the things that I have noticed, increased heart rate will me tired in lesser time compared to lesser HR. Suppose if you want to maintain a HR of 136, and start on a 3 mile run, I see that the heart rate increases towards the last mile or the later part of the run for the same pace, say arnd 147+. Assuming, I am hydrating myself at regular intervals, are there any techniques to reduce the HR(or maintain the HR) while running without slowing down?
One of the things that I have tried is breathing slowly and deeply, thatz hard since i would exhausted and wud be panting for breathe, but does reduce the HR.

2006-08-20 11:21 AM
in reply to: #516599

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Keeping heart rate while keeping the pace

When I do runs in a certain HR zone, my goal is to have it be in the low end first 1/3, middle next 1/3, and top end the last 1/3. It also helps teach me to pace better which I can carry into my tris...goal is to get progressively faster in each segmentt and use more effort in the Bike then Sswim and more in Run than bike.

Your HR maybe going up because you are starting out to fast. You may see cardiac drift but I doubt on a 3 mile run, more on longer runs say over 75 minutes.

After running with a HRM for 2+ years, I have observed so many different things...sometimes my HR goes higher the longer I run, sometimes it drops and I can't get to go higher. I see my HRM as a tool and try to observe it and learn from it. But sometimes it is off and I go by RPE...which gives a second tool to use to see if I'm running at the right pace. How does your breathing change from the start of your run when your HR is lower to the end of your run when your HR is highter? Is your breathing the same? different?

2006-08-20 11:47 AM
in reply to: #516599

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
You are likely experiencing 'cardiac drift'. The HR increases as core temperature increases. Just physiology. After some point it is going to go up, but stay hydrated and try to pour water over your head as well.
2006-08-20 11:13 PM
in reply to: #516654

User image

Milpitas, CA
KathyG - 2006-08-20 9:21 AM

How does your breathing change from the start of your run when your HR is lower to the end of your run when your HR is highter? Is your breathing the same? different?

Even though the HR is the same, I havn't noticed any drastic change in my breathing. Maybe I will post again what I have observed after doing couple more runs over the week ..
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping heart rate while keeping the pace Rss Feed