Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Fun stuff to do in Boston? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-18 10:19 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: Fun stuff to do in Boston?

My son and I are flying to Boston tonight so he can visit MIT on Monday/Tuesday.

I'm curious what you guys would recommend for fun places to visit and see.  We're both huge history buffs, so that's where I plan to start looking but we're open to anything.  We'll be there until Tuesday evening.

2014-10-19 4:52 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Fun stuff to do in Boston?

Originally posted by tuwood

My son and I are flying to Boston tonight so he can visit MIT on Monday/Tuesday.

I'm curious what you guys would recommend for fun places to visit and see.  We're both huge history buffs, so that's where I plan to start looking but we're open to anything.  We'll be there until Tuesday evening.

WOW so much to do and see there.  The liberty trail will take you thru the city and get you to most major historic landmarks esp with limited time.  The shot heard round the world (A brick triangle in the middle of a busy street be careful) Paul reveres house, cemetery where gobs of historical people are buried.  the state house, boston common etc etc.  I highly recommend Harvard yard and the Isabella Gardner museum if you have time.

2014-10-19 10:36 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Originally posted by Socks

The liberty trail will take you thru the city and get you to most major historic landmarks esp with limited time.  The shot heard round the world (A brick triangle in the middle of a busy street be careful) Paul reveres house, cemetery where gobs of historical people are buried.  the state house, boston common etc etc..

If you are completely pressed for time, the above is a good option. If you have a bit of time, I'd also suggest the JFK library. It's outside the city a ways but well worth it if you are a history buff.
2014-10-20 12:31 AM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

We recently spent three days in Boston while on vacation.  There is so much to see and do there.

The Freedom Trail which starts at Boston Common is a must.  In addition to the other historical sites mentioned, there is the USS Constitution that you can climb around on and Bunker Hill just north of the naval yard.

The duck boat tours are also a great way to see the city.

In you feel like running, there is a multi use path along the Charles River.  I ran a couple times from the Common, east down Commonwealth, then over to the path via Massachusetts Ave.  Return route was along either Beacon or Marlborough St. which are lined with beautiful brownstone rowhouses.  I thought about returning via Boylston but am saving that for someday finishing the marathon.

If you like Italian food, the north end of town has one of the greatest concentrations of great places anywhere.  Mike's Pastry in that area is also worth a visit.

2014-10-22 9:56 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

thanks for all the advice everyone, we just got back last night.  I was watching this thread, but didn't have a chance to respond because we were so busy.

We spent a lot more time at the MIT campus than I was originally expecting so we didn't get to do as much true sight seeing, but still managed to hit a few of the big ones.  We hit Boston Common, but the weather didn't really cooperate with us for a full freedom trail walk.  Not to mention the airline did lose our luggage, so we didn't have our jackets.  lol

I had to go see the USS Constitution because of my Navy background.  Absolutely amazing ship and much bigger than I thought it would be.

We walked around Harvard and it was beautiful, but also a little weird.  Hard to explain, but a couple dudes from Nebraska just didn't seem to fit in at Harvard.  lol

As for MIT, I couldn't believe how open the campus and community was to visitors.  We pretty much went everywhere and even sat in on some classes.  nerd schwing

2014-10-23 9:44 AM
in reply to: tuwood

Extreme Veteran
My wife and I did this, Its about a 5K distance guided tour following the freedom trail, although you have many stops the furthest you run at one time is just a few city blocks. When the group catches up at each stop they give you a quick history lesson then you run to the next stop. It includes a t-shirt and a ferry ride across the harbor.

They guy who puts it on used to be the president of the historical society. I would do it again if i went back for sure.

http://www.freedomtrailrun.com/

2014-10-23 9:46 AM
in reply to: DLR1

Extreme Veteran
Sorry I didn't follow the thread and you are already back. But worth next time you go.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Fun stuff to do in Boston? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

living in Boston

Started by hoff1732
Views: 931 Posts: 21

2007-05-02 7:29 AM D.Z.

Any other Boston Legal lovers out there?

Started by regimom
Views: 460 Posts: 8

2007-03-20 2:54 PM regimom

Looking for a good dermatologist-Boston

Started by Spring07
Views: 429 Posts: 1

2006-08-31 8:21 PM Spring07

NPR stories about Running/Boston marathon

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 505 Posts: 1

2006-04-17 4:51 PM phoenixazul

Boston Marathon on OLN

Started by redbullgt337
Views: 681 Posts: 1

2005-02-03 12:32 PM redbullgt337
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.