General Discussion Triathlon Talk » disgusting water bottles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-19 11:24 AM

Subject: disgusting water bottles
ideas on cleaning them? I have four or five bottles that I don't want to throw out, but I let too much EFS sit in them and they are fairly gunked up and funky smelling. What are your tricks for cleaning them out so that they are drinkable again?

Apologies if discussed before. I'm a twit with the search function, but didn't see it previously.

2014-10-19 12:30 PM
in reply to: modiolus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: disgusting water bottles

Bleach.

2014-10-19 12:39 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

straight bleach? Dilute? Rinse quickly or let sit?

Concerned about drinking safety after bleaching. Need to rinse multiple times?
2014-10-19 12:49 PM
in reply to: #5061202

Why not just add some dishwashing liquid and water to them and let them soak? And they have brushes to scrub in there
2014-10-19 12:56 PM

User image

Clean them with a bottle brush and hot soapy water to remove any "chunks" from the sides. Then fill them and plop in some denture tablets to disinfect them.
2014-10-19 1:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Also, to avoid it in the future, Throw them in the freezer until you have time to wash them out properly

2014-10-19 2:09 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

A diluted vinegar soak will help with odor.

2014-10-19 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by modiolus

just dilute straight bleach 1part to 10 parts water (or maybe stronger if needed) then just pour it in the water bottle and let it sit for awhile.
rinse it out and it will be good again!

I use this for all my water bottles and camelbaks. works awesome.
2014-10-19 2:16 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
I have to throw out water bottles I have so many..
Stinky gross ? I throw them out. I acquire bottles just to throw them out.
2014-10-19 2:38 PM

I use denture cleaning tablets to clean mine
Joe
2014-10-20 7:14 AM
in reply to: TriTampa2

Bottle brush. You grocery store would sell them in the baby section. You can also get them at a homebrew store. The one at the homebrew store will probably have a longer handle.

2014-10-20 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I always try to clean my bottles as soon as I get home from a ride.  Hot, soapy water and a bottle brush works for me.  I'll screw the cap back on and squirt the soapy water through it to clean the nozzle before rinsing everything with clear water.

Mark

2014-10-20 8:43 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Exton, PA
You guys ever hear of a dishwasher?

I put all my standard bike bottles in the dishwasher and they come out clean.

Strange shaped ones like profile design or x-labs torpedo don't work in there so you have be conscientious about keeping them clean. Washing them as soon as your finished is the best way. If you can't wash them right away you can usually rinse them with water right away.
2014-10-20 9:31 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro

We have boxes full of water bottles and I feel no attachment to them.....I throw out the ones I don't feel like cleaning if they happen to sit too long. Usually they just go into the dishwasher at the end of the day. 

2014-10-20 10:35 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by RedCorvette

I always try to clean my bottles as soon as I get home from a ride.  Hot, soapy water and a bottle brush works for me.  I'll screw the cap back on and squirt the soapy water through it to clean the nozzle before rinsing everything with clear water.

Mark

Yup.  At the very least, I dump them out, open the cap, rinse cap and bottle thoroughly with hot water and allow both to drain upside down until they can get a proper washing.  As far as your current issue, I'd try vinegar/water or diluted bleach soak, then scrub.

2014-10-20 2:42 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Thanks for all the ideas. Not terribly attached to any of the bottles, just feel guilty tossing them if they could be salvaged. The one keeper is my Speedfill, however.

Had gone on several rides without cleaning it. On a recent ride, right before IM Chattanooga, was on a long ride and the water tasted tart. Figured I dumped some electrolyte drink in there by mistake, only drank about four big swallows and left it alone, relied on my other bottles and trailside fountains for the rest of the ride. When I got home, took the Speedfill off, took the cap off, flipped it over, and out came a softball sized glob of lime-green semisolid slime with the consistency of Jell-O.

So with all of the tips, I should be able to clean it, but probably will get a bit queasy every time I use.

2014-10-20 3:23 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

You guys ever hear of a dishwasher?

I put all my standard bike bottles in the dishwasher and they come out clean.

Strange shaped ones like profile design or x-labs torpedo don't work in there so you have be conscientious about keeping them clean. Washing them as soon as your finished is the best way. If you can't wash them right away you can usually rinse them with water right away.

^^This. Occasionally, I leave one on the bike and the dishwasher doesn't get it clean. Then I just use dishsoap and a bottle brush.
2014-10-20 8:37 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

http://youtu.be/SJvl7VHEyWQ
Make sure you pop out the spigot and clean it and the bottle cap separate. I thought I was cleaning my bottles well. Not so. When I pulled out the spigot on my "clean" bottles I was shocked. This video is for polar bottles but your bottles should be able to be taken apart too. My spigots had spots of mold that I was drinking through.
2014-10-21 2:40 PM
in reply to: #5061213

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
As soon as someone writes the word 'disgusting', my vivid imagination starts working and I'd say : throw it.
2014-10-21 3:11 PM
in reply to: metafizx

Originally posted by metafizx

Originally posted by modiolus

just dilute straight bleach 1part to 10 parts water (or maybe stronger if needed) then just pour it in the water bottle and let it sit for awhile.
rinse it out and it will be good again!

I use this for all my water bottles and camelbaks. works awesome.

Bleach. Soap does not disinfect, not sure about vinegar. Bleach does disinfect. Also about drinking safety, bleach evaporates. Same as tap water, leaving it in the open a minute or two is all it takes to evaporate the bleach.

I too feel bottled water is useless pollution. I feel guilty buying them and not reusing them.
2014-10-21 4:00 PM
in reply to: Antoine tri

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Antoine tri
Originally posted by metafizx
Originally posted by modiolus straight bleach? Dilute? Rinse quickly or let sit? Concerned about drinking safety after bleaching. Need to rinse multiple times?
just dilute straight bleach 1part to 10 parts water (or maybe stronger if needed) then just pour it in the water bottle and let it sit for awhile. rinse it out and it will be good again! I use this for all my water bottles and camelbaks. works awesome.
Bleach. Soap does not disinfect, not sure about vinegar. Bleach does disinfect. Also about drinking safety, bleach evaporates. Same as tap water, leaving it in the open a minute or two is all it takes to evaporate the bleach. I too feel bottled water is useless pollution. I feel guilty buying them and not reusing them.

Vinegar generally does disinfect and it much less toxic than bleach. More info.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » disgusting water bottles Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Water Bottle that keeps water cold

Started by tlane
Views: 1232 Posts: 10

2006-06-12 11:22 AM wsm9363

Bike Water bottles without plastic taste?

Started by macaco
Views: 1042 Posts: 8

2006-04-17 3:35 PM sappho96

Water Bottle

Started by royj
Views: 703 Posts: 5

2004-07-23 4:28 PM jmc1888

Aerobar Aero water bottle

Started by tractoral
Views: 1379 Posts: 6

2004-03-20 3:26 AM sherrick

Water bottles

Started by newtodoit
Views: 1082 Posts: 12

2004-02-05 3:09 PM Sirvelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?
date : February 27, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
How is water used in the body? Is bottled water better? Should I drink 8 glasses of water a day?

date : September 15, 2011
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 12
When people think of hydration in the aero position, the first name that comes to mind is the Aerodrink from Profile Design. I was expecting a pretty quick and breezy review of this water bottle.
date : July 30, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
Getting the biggest bang for your buck; some low cost means of improving your performance and preventing injury.

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
Rocket Science Sports has applied its hyper-technical approach to designing a water bottle. The result is a water bottle with dimples similar to those on a golf ball.