General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KC 1/2 Marathon Report Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-19 11:46 AM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Subject: KC 1/2 Marathon Report
Well that was fun...

The reason I decided to tackle my first half is I wanted a race/goal that would motivate me to keep training following my last tri of the season which was at the end of June.

I followed the advice you all provided awhile back regarding my training and didn't try to make up miles lost due to the flu. Since the longest run in my training ended up being 8-miles I certainly had doubts.

So in my mind this is how I broke down the run.

• ..Go out easy and don't use up a lot of energy on the climb in the first 4-miles.

• ..Find a good rhythm between mile 4 and 8 and set myself up for the 3mi climb north out of the Brush Creek valley

• ..Go to my happy place during the 3mi climb :-)

• ..Enjoy the final 3mi down hill and let gravity do the work.

• Pretty pleased with the effort since I ended up going 5mi beyond my longest run. I made sure to hit every other water station and alternated between water and gatorade. I took two GU Gels one at mile 3 & 7 and felt that really worked well.

The last mile was all mental for me. Miles 11 & 12 I was feeling really good and then all of a sudden it just got plain hard.

Thanks again for the support and advice. Now it is time for beer and some red meat :-)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/615000153

2014-10-20 4:14 PM
    in reply to: Ranski

User image

Veteran
    Shawnee
    Subject: RE: KC 1/2 Marathon Report
    Good job on the hard work. At a glance of your garmin file, it looks like you kept a pretty even pace throughout. Congrats!
    2014-10-21 4:12 PM
    in reply to: Ranski

User image

Veteran
    Overland Park, KS
    Subject: RE: KC 1/2 Marathon Report
    great job! It's hard sometimes to "trust in the training" especially when miles seem lower then what you'd do on your own.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KC 1/2 Marathon Report Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

KC Marathon

Started by Corey07
    Views: 1459 Posts: 17

2012-10-21 4:40 PM Corey07

The official KC marathon/Half Marathon thread for the Kansans Pages: 1 2 3

Started by joncolbybohnsack
    Views: 3652 Posts: 66

2011-10-22 6:26 PM m.a.burghart

KC MULTISPORT Saterday rides

Started by tri-dg
    Views: 1574 Posts: 9

2008-05-02 5:49 AM montyzooma

KC BTers

Started by Hot Joe
    Views: 1135 Posts: 2

2008-03-11 2:32 PM tri-dg

Local KC Triathlon Coach

Started by IKENTRI
    Views: 2291 Posts: 1

2008-03-10 4:02 PM IKENTRI
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 30, 2011
    comments : 0
    How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : June 27, 2011
    author : alicefoeller
    comments : 8
    A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
    date : October 13, 2009
    comments : 0
    I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 1
    After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
    date : July 14, 2008
    author : Birkierunner
    comments : 2
    Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.

date : July 23, 2007
    author : Ron
    comments : 2
    See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
    date : June 6, 2007
    author : Ron
    comments : 4
    Coverage of the entire Mooseman Triathlon Festival with race video feeds, race reports and pictures.

date : July 2, 2006
    author : susietri
    comments : 6
    Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.