General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-20 8:18 AM

Subject: Training plans
I set up my training plan and I have a question. Today I am to swim and walk, are these 2 disciplines to be done at the same time, or, can I swim in the morning and walk in the afternoon. Because I am a beginner and for the first few weeks, the time/distance is relatively low , it should not be a problem. I am more concerned about the later weeks in the program. I am guessing, training like a race is the better way to go.

2014-10-20 8:39 AM
in reply to: STony G

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Training plans
At this point since you are working on basic endurance and technique, it doesn't really matter. Whatever helps you to get in the workouts consistently and works best with your body and lifestyle is good. Later, if you're doing longer/harder workouts, you may want to experiment with the timing of the workouts--some combos are best avoided (like a hard swim right after a hard run, for example, which makes many people cramp), while you may want to include some runs immediately after the bike to get used to the feeling of running after the bike as your race approaches.

If I have two workouts, I generally prefer to do one in the morning (before work, usually) and one in the afternoon (after work). This is both for logistical reasons (I'd be getting up at 3:XX to do a double before work, no pool access AM anyway) and because the second workout goes better if I'm not tired from the first. The exception would be some bike/run bricks where the goal is getting used to the feel of running after the bike or working on pacing.
2014-10-20 8:50 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Training plans
Originally posted by Hot Runner

At this point since you are working on basic endurance and technique, it doesn't really matter. Whatever helps you to get in the workouts consistently and works best with your body and lifestyle is good. Later, if you're doing longer/harder workouts, you may want to experiment with the timing of the workouts--some combos are best avoided (like a hard swim right after a hard run, for example, which makes many people cramp), while you may want to include some runs immediately after the bike to get used to the feeling of running after the bike as your race approaches.

If I have two workouts, I generally prefer to do one in the morning (before work, usually) and one in the afternoon (after work). This is both for logistical reasons (I'd be getting up at 3:XX to do a double before work, no pool access AM anyway) and because the second workout goes better if I'm not tired from the first. The exception would be some bike/run bricks where the goal is getting used to the feel of running after the bike or working on pacing.

Great advice!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plans Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training Plan Attack Plan

Started by Nvmiller
Views: 720 Posts: 5

2014-08-11 11:22 PM Ron

2011 race plans vs 2011 training plans

Started by KirkD
Views: 1488 Posts: 5

2010-12-03 10:38 AM KirkD

Training Plans for Multisport Athletes vs Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Gui

Started by jdevito20
Views: 2261 Posts: 7

2008-05-12 5:15 PM Aikidoman

Training Peaks/Eric Schwartz's Training Plans?

Started by LogansMom
Views: 1734 Posts: 2

2007-05-28 6:15 PM mikericci

Flexibility training plans for off-season training

Started by shadt31
Views: 991 Posts: 5

2005-11-18 12:08 PM shadt31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
comments : 1
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : July 19, 2009
This training plan has only 2 workouts per sport per week and peaks at 7.5 hours per week of training. Use this plan if you are time constrained or if you want to focus more on your family.

date : February 12, 2008
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : February 12, 2008
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.

date : January 9, 2008
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.