General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hate my ITB !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-21 6:36 PM

User image

Groton, New York
Subject: I hate my ITB !!!
Had ITB issues several years ago with the right leg. Got over it and this year I was training for my first marathon. Unfortunately I did not quite get up to the weekly mileage volume I was planning for. I had several weeks before the marathon where I was up in the lower 20's. I knew it would be an issue and sure enough...marathon time came and I was fine up until about mile 20. It was a struggle to push through leg issues from that point on until the end of the race. Race ended, happy with the results blah blah blah. But now, I can't run more than about a mile and a half before my left knee tightens up and I start having the typical ITB issues. It is really frustrating because I am dying to get in some mileage. Cardiovascularly I am dying for some mileage and swimming/biking really just doesn't seem to satisfy the desire. I feel like I get out for a run and I haven't even warmed up before I have to stop due to the leg issues. AHHH. I hate my ITBs. I'm constantly rolling them on a roller, but they remain an issue. Just venting. Love to hear anyone else's experiences and what they ultimately have done to fix the issue. I know the dramatic increase in mileage is what ultimately caused the issues and I am paying for it now, but I'd really like to get back into the swing of things again.

2014-10-21 7:20 PM
in reply to: keqwow

User image

Los Angeles, California
Subject: RE: I hate my ITB !!!
I'd leave your IT alone for a while instead of irritating it even more with rollers, once you are past acute stage you can start working on it if need be. also I'm no expert on running but from other areas where I learned a bit about body mechanics IT issues would seem like overuse of extensor muscles rather than using your flexors more. just my 2c. and I totally hear you on inability to run. been exactly in your spot a couple of weeks ago just let it heal and you'll be back in no time. good luck!
2014-10-21 10:04 PM
in reply to: #5061922

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Start loving your itb and it will love you back
2014-10-22 6:34 AM
in reply to: Martine1975

New user
Key West
I am a runner and run marathons, and have had ITB syndrome in the distant past (23 years ago) and this last year when training for a marathon. In my case the genesis is a functional leg length discrepancy. Once I corrected that by putting a slightly thicker insole in my short leg running shoe, the issue disappeared. I can't say that is what is going on with you, but the point is that you need to figure out the source of the problem by going to a sports med doc or physical therapist and then working on that issue. Otherwise, this will continue to be a problem, especially at higher mileage. The good news is that this is fixable. For now, rolling, icing, and using a TENS machine, if you have one, should relieve the pain along with a little rest.
2014-10-22 6:56 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I had IT band issue with my right leg this summer(it hit me during Eagleman); after that the pain started on my runs once I was at 1 1/2 to 2 miles. I basically stopped running for about a month and used a foam roller everyday working the outside of the leg. I started running again and have not had any problems; getting ready for Philly marathon right now so I'm doing a good amount of miles with no issues.

I was able to bike and swim during my month off with out any issues. When I got back to running it was like I never ran before, starting with 2 and 3 mile runs

Good Luck
2014-10-22 7:17 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
My daughter dealt with IT band problems last track season and it lasted all summer long. She ended up having to go to PT 2-3X a week for a couple months to finally beat it. A couple of easy things to look at is your shoes, getting orthotics, and if you sleep on your side keeping a pillow between your knees to take pressure off your IT band.

2014-10-22 8:00 AM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
I had IT problems a few years ago. I took a lot of rest, went to the doctor a few times, PT a few times, nothing fixed it. After the season I quit running all together for months, still didn't fix it. What my problem was was that my hip flexors and glutes weren't strong enough. I did hip flexor and glute strength workouts every day for 6 weeks straight and that got rid of my problem. I didn't have to spend a ton of money oh physical therapy because they were workouts that I did at home. It's interesting that everyone has solved the issue in different ways, so if none of that works, try doing some strengthening. I throw it in my workout routine every once in awhile now so it doesn't come back.
2014-10-22 8:16 AM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by buckeyeguy77
I did hip flexor and glute strength workouts every day for 6 weeks straight and that got rid of my problem. .

Can you share that routine ? I am trying to figure out a strengthening plan

thanks
2014-10-22 10:01 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by buckeyeguy77 I did hip flexor and glute strength workouts every day for 6 weeks straight and that got rid of my problem. .
Can you share that routine ? I am trying to figure out a strengthening plan thanks

Here are some things I did after hip surgery to strengthen those areas as well as hammy and quads:

1. Use a Theraband or other type of resistance band that goes around your ankles.  Side step keeping your stepping foot perpendicular to your body (push out with your heel in the direction you're pulling rather than letting your toe point that way).  You can also do this in the pool.
  2. Again using the resistance band or in the pool, pull leg forward keeping body erect.  Avoid arching your back.  This helps strengthen quads as well.
  3. Same as #2 above, just pulling backwards instead.  Good for hammy strengthening as well.
  4. Stand on a squishy surface on one leg for up to 60 seconds.  A bosu or pillow might work; I was at PT and they had a thick pad that was like memory foam.
  5. Stand on one leg and lean forward to touch surface with opposite arm, then stand back up. Repeat.  Start with reaching toward a mid-thigh-height surface and gradually work toward a lower level, down to as low as knee.
  6. High marching.  Bring leg up to parallel to the floor, then step forward. Do with opposite leg, repeat.

Keep abs/core engaged while doing all these exercises so your back doesn't bear the brunt of the work.  I also try to get a sports massage regularly to break up glute/flexor tightness and use my foam roller regularly on my my entire upper leg and glutes.  Hope that helps. 

2014-10-22 10:24 AM

User image

Another vote for strength training! I had IT band issues for a long time and gave up running for a while out of frustration. Eventually, I went to PT. They set me up with some inserts for my shoes and got me started on an intense strength routine. Lots of lunges, squats, and the hip machine. Pretty much any exercise that worked on my hips or butt.
Also, not sure if this may apply to you or not, but my IT band had attached tightly to my quads. The PT worked it out by digging her thumb in between the two and running it all the way up my leg. It hurt like hell, but I was back to running in no time!
Here's an "IT Band Rehab Routine": http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demo...
I hope you find what works for you!
2014-10-22 4:03 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by keqwow Had ITB issues several years ago with the right leg. Got over it and this year I was training for my first marathon. Unfortunately I did not quite get up to the weekly mileage volume I was planning for. I had several weeks before the marathon where I was up in the lower 20's. I knew it would be an issue and sure enough...marathon time came and I was fine up until about mile 20. It was a struggle to push through leg issues from that point on until the end of the race. Race ended, happy with the results blah blah blah. But now, I can't run more than about a mile and a half before my left knee tightens up and I start having the typical ITB issues. It is really frustrating because I am dying to get in some mileage. Cardiovascularly I am dying for some mileage and swimming/biking really just doesn't seem to satisfy the desire. I feel like I get out for a run and I haven't even warmed up before I have to stop due to the leg issues. AHHH. I hate my ITBs. I'm constantly rolling them on a roller, but they remain an issue. Just venting. Love to hear anyone else's experiences and what they ultimately have done to fix the issue. I know the dramatic increase in mileage is what ultimately caused the issues and I am paying for it now, but I'd really like to get back into the swing of things again.

I had ITB issues for FOUR YEARS before I finally resorted to the surgery (which in my case was very successful).

I'll second all the suggestions of physical therapy, lots of stretching and rolling, and strength training.  Also look into run analysis and/or bike fit.  I tried ALL of this (and more...acupuncture, massage, chiro, etc.) before resorting to surgery.  I think I had to go the surgery route because I didn't nip the injury in the bud early...I tried to continue training through it.  BAD IDEA....

2014-10-22 4:08 PM
in reply to: #5061945

User image

Strength training is important. Also itbs can come from under training or a big jump in mileage. I don't know if you were saying that your weekly mileage was in the 20s or if that was your long run. I like my long run to be around 1/3 of my weekly volume. I can't maintain that during long distance tri training but during stand alone marathon training that's my goal. If I run 10 miles m-f and then 16 on Saturday that's too big of a jump for me and I'll get injured. So if my long run is 16 I want my m-f mileage to be closer to 32 miles. Does that make sense?

2014-10-22 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

I have a guy that is very good at ART (active release) and dry needling and when I get an IT problem he fixes it in 1 session. Running pain free the next day. usually lasts 6 months or more depending on how much I abuse my body.

2014-10-23 12:08 AM
in reply to: mtnbrooke7

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Originally posted by mtnbrooke7

Another vote for strength training! I had IT band issues for a long time and gave up running for a while out of frustration. Eventually, I went to PT. They set me up with some inserts for my shoes and got me started on an intense strength routine. Lots of lunges, squats, and the hip machine. Pretty much any exercise that worked on my hips or butt.
Also, not sure if this may apply to you or not, but my IT band had attached tightly to my quads. The PT worked it out by digging her thumb in between the two and running it all the way up my leg. It hurt like hell, but I was back to running in no time!
Here's an "IT Band Rehab Routine": http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demo...
I hope you find what works for you!

The link that mtnbooke posted has some good ones. I always do the lateral leg raises, but I do them with ankle weights instead of resistance bands. The clam shell is another really good one. I use resistance bands for shuffling side to side (that's the best one in my opinion). My PT friend did tell me though that you should do strength training on it every day, but if you're using resistance bands to do them every other day. Muscle growth will take about 6 weeks so I'd give it that long at least. I hope this helps. ITBS can be very frustrating.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hate my ITB !!! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Possible ITB inflammation

Started by sharp4850
Views: 3967 Posts: 15

2008-04-20 10:19 PM cardenas1

For those that have experience with ITB issues

Started by EABonney
Views: 1575 Posts: 16

2007-12-20 3:19 PM jldicarlo

Favorite ITB stretch

Started by KathyG
Views: 1266 Posts: 17

2007-09-28 1:59 PM TexOma

ITB Syndrome

Started by kpar
Views: 605 Posts: 3

2006-07-06 4:42 PM runningfoo

sore itb and cleats

Started by sappho96
Views: 976 Posts: 10

2006-04-07 8:57 PM chop
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have burning hips. They start to hurt about 20 miles into a bike ride and then they hurt as I try to sleep all night long. Stretching and massage don't seem to make much difference.

date : April 14, 2008
Since my last marathon (October, 2007), the area below my right kneecap towards the outside of my leg (but not the ITB) aches every time I run, especially afterwards.
date : March 6, 2008
Hip pain in an athlete involves a wide range of possible diagnoses. Furthermore, people of different age groups are prone to different kinds of injuries due to different stages of bone development.

date : March 20, 2007
author : dawnieruns
comments : 2
It's funny, there are so many people who hate even the thought of running, or even of jogging slowly! I can't imagine my life without it.
date : January 7, 2007
author : medic0020
comments : 5
From a Hate-Hate Relationship to a Love-Hate Relationship

date : July 30, 2006
comments : 1
Besides the obvious rest and strengthening/PT around the ankles, what can I do to further find the root cause and correct it? Also, what are doctors’ stances on active release?
date : June 5, 2006
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?