General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Soldier to Triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-22 9:51 AM

Subject: Soldier to Triathlete
My name's Michael and I'm getting into triathlons in 2015. I have a base in all disciplines, but my strength is running. My problem is that I tend to over-train and get hurt. I've had planter fascitus on and off for about 8 months. The good news is that I've learned how to heal that injury and I'm getting ready to start running again. I know to take it easy, but it's hard to when I know I can do more. Any tips to remain healthy or other training tips would be appreciated. I'm planning on my first triathlon in April. I know it's a lot, but I'm signing up for the half iron man distance. Thanks.

2014-10-28 9:29 PM
in reply to: mhaney0111

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Soldier to Triathlete
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have great enthusiasm and a solid base. You'll do great.

My advise is to follow a structured plan that has workouts, recovery days, rest weeks, etc, laid out for you to avoid over doing it. I find when I do that, I am much less likely to get inujred than when I just wing it!

I too battle PF on a regular basis, and have to manage that one. I ramp up running miles slowly, alternate shoes, stretch my calves, stuff like that. I never give up tho! Lots of folks think that pain in the joints means "Oh, I am too old or not athetic enough (or whatever excuse) for this stuff". I say BS, just be careful and smart about your training and you can do it!

Good luck!
2014-11-04 4:59 PM
in reply to: #5062046

I am 33 years old, I am medically retired from the Army and i am very new to the idea of a triathlon. In 2008 i suffered an injury to my right calf muscle that to this day. My current strength is swimming, i am not the best at this discipline but i can hold my own. I do not own anything but a cheap mountain bike so i cannot tell you how well i can ride, but i am not concerned at the moment with the bike.

My concern is my calf, i have been stretching it, rolling it and icing it, bit i can only last 15 minutes before a sharp pain shoots from the middle of the muscle outward and up into my knee area. I have improved from 5 minutes, but needless to say i am a tad bit bothered. If i cannot run a triathlon is out of the question.

Anyway here are my stats,
I am 73 inches tall
198 lbs and losing weight

My current goal is the Shark Week swim from Alcatraz to San Francisco
2014-11-04 6:53 PM
in reply to: klamb_satx

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
klamb_satx,

Sorry about your calf pain, sounds awful. Have you seen a doctor about it? (Seems like you must have given the 2008 date) What about compressoin sleeves?

If it's fine for walking, you can do a sprint triathlon and just walk the run portion. Lots of folks do that . There are often also Aqua bike options for some races, for athletes who cannot run due to injury.

Good luck, hope you can find a way to enjoy the sport!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Soldier to Triathlete Rss Feed