General Discussion Triathlon Talk » not enough recovery from last workout? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-23 3:59 PM

Subject: not enough recovery from last workout?
Hey guys and gals,

I've been following a training plan and am entering week 3 and so far so good. (sunday short swim/bike, mon - off, tues- long swim, wed - short run, thurs - long bike, fri - off, sat - long run) Yesterday was my short run day(3miles) and I warmed up, started running, and only got through 1.3 miles before having to stop. Lots of burning in the legs and just being "off." Have you guys ever started a workout and just tanked way too early for no apparent reason? I ate and drank plenty of fluids throughout the day.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2014-10-23 4:38 PM
in reply to: budlizard

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: not enough recovery from last workout?

Training plans are a 'guide'.  Listen to your body first.  We're all so different, and going a little too hard on a prior workout (which may have felt fantastic), often results in a 'payback' day.  

Yes- we've all tanked early in a workout.  No one workout is important.  It's about volume and consistency, with as much intensity as you can throw in there, while still keeping up with your volume and consistency.

if that makes any sense.

2014-10-23 4:43 PM
in reply to: #5062534

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Been there......done that.

If you feel that you haven't recovered enough then you're probably right. Especially that 'off' feeling tells you enough.

I don't know what schedule you follow and how often you have a recovery week and how old you are and how your overall health is.

How much stress you have in daily life etc. How many carbs you eat.

Try and keep track of the following:

How you sleep
How tired you are during the day
How sore your muscles are
What your mood is
How your appetite is
How dark your urine
Your heart rate first thing after waking up
Your heart rate variability (if your monitor allows it)
Your SpO2

Keep track also the signs of a compromised immunity. (Sore Throat etc)

Keep track of how your work out feels. Increased RPE means that you have to take it easy. If you run 1 mile with an average heart rate of 130 and then over time you have to have a heart rate of 145 to maintain the same speed, then you know you need some extra rest.

Also.....try and do a cardiac stress test every now and again. There is an android app called 'cardiac stress test'.

I wish you a happy recovery!

2014-10-23 4:45 PM
in reply to: #5062540

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
O ja, and also.....keep your heart rate in check when you train the first year. According to this website zone 1-2
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » not enough recovery from last workout? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

to workout or not to workout, that is the question

Started by jjupiter100
Views: 970 Posts: 6

2013-04-10 12:37 PM jjupiter100

How long is enough recovery?

Started by Findlay
Views: 886 Posts: 6

2012-10-25 9:14 AM TriBoilermaker

KNEE PAIN AFTER HIM (not enough recovery?)

Started by gabrelsj
Views: 784 Posts: 3

2011-05-19 10:36 AM jgerbodegrant

Is this enough recovery?

Started by JonnyRingo84
Views: 835 Posts: 7

2011-03-14 5:13 PM pharmacist25

Frustrated thatt my outdoor bike workouts aren't hard enough

Started by agarose2000
Views: 2597 Posts: 17

2008-11-30 10:43 PM generalee2010
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : September 3, 2008
Discussions on training for a hot IM, hydration, workout recovery nutrition, maltodextrin, no energy on a 45' bike ride and morning workout nutrition strategies.
date : November 20, 2007
Depending on the length of your workout, there are several options to choose for a post-workout snack. Includes 3 smoothy recipes for workouts over 2-3 hours.