General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for my first mini tri. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-24 2:12 AM

Subject: Training for my first mini tri.
I'm looking to burn fat and eventually gain lean muscle. I am training for my first mini triathlon. 2k Run, 10k Ride, 500m swim. I'm currently working out 6 days a week.

Currently 6'3 and 82kgs.

Workout plan

Monday - Triceps, Shoulders, Pecks + swimming
Tuesday - Biceps and Back + 5mins skipping
Wednesday - Legs, core and Cardio - 5k run and a 40k+ cycle.
Thursday - rest
Friday - Cycle 40ks+
Sat - Cycle 50ks+
Sun - Cycle 50ks+

Meal plan

Breakfast - 5weetbix, low fat milk and a banana. Vital Strength Ripped protein shake with water.
Snack - Almonds with a protein bar
Lunch - 4x Wholemeal ricecakes with avocado and tuna. Apple, banana and strawberries.
Snack - Low fat yogurt with low fat muesli + low fat milk
Dinner - Steak with either broccoli and spinach or a Caesar salad

Protein supplements:
Vital Strength ripped
Natures way prolean

I'm also taking a multivitamin and fish oil tablets.

Is there anything you guys could suggest that I could change that would benefit me?

2014-11-05 1:53 PM
in reply to: snakejobin

User image

Subject: RE: Training for my first mini tri.
The meal plan looks good. Just watch calories in vs. calories out. I just finished my first tri a month ago! 350m swim, 20k bike, 5 k run. Looking at your workout schedule, you should definitely be "fit" enough for the tri, but I would suggest more running. Running uses some different muscles than cycling. My training was evenly split between running, swimming, and cycling, and I was shocked at how it felt trying to run right after cycling. It is what makes triathlons different from other endurance events. Should even do a few short runs immediately after cycling. Called bricks.

To burn fat you need to train using heart rate. Keep you your heart rate in the fat burning zone along with a low fat diet, you should accomplish your goal!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for my first mini tri. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training for first Olympic Triathlon in August

Started by bluemakers
Views: 2445 Posts: 5

2011-02-02 3:11 PM shawn barr

First day of Tri training

Started by GoHoyas
Views: 1119 Posts: 4

2010-11-02 3:28 PM phspiller

Fat girl wants to lose weight and train for first triathlon

Started by GoHoyas
Views: 4053 Posts: 13

2010-10-26 6:55 PM nanners5888

230lbs and training for first tri

Started by kmonie360
Views: 1462 Posts: 6

2010-08-19 3:12 PM bmmac

First day of bike training

Started by jbmoore
Views: 1392 Posts: 8

2010-04-26 11:08 AM fatmantri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 1
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : September 10, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 9
Description of one overweight, nervous, beginner triathlete's very first race -- a "Mini" Triathlon.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.