General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition and training bag Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-24 6:37 PM

Subject: Transition and training bag
any advice on a good bag that could be used for a transition and training bag? I seem to end up with multiple bags of swim gear, run gear and/or bike gear. I'm just trying to consolidate things. I often workout during work lunch and after work and there are days I have to switch my workout plans based on availability of swim lanes or just because I feel like doing something other than I originally planned. that's why I end up hauling a bunch of gear around. So I'm looking for a big bag to load

swim jammers
towel
goggles
swim hand paddles
fins
wetsuit

running shoes
shorts
socks
hat

cycling shorts
cycling jersey
maybe cycling shoes

water bottle on outside
someplace to hang bike helmet off back

obviously this is a lot of stuff and I don't know if I can get a bag that will fit all of it so I there's definitely some stuff I probably have to leave out. And that's okay.

Any advice? Or maybe somebody here can say how they handle hauling around all the gear without making mess of your car

2014-10-25 7:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Transition and training bag
I have a transition bag from Blue Seventy that I bought at a race expo. It was about 80 or 90 USD but those were Singapore prices; might be a bit cheaper online in the US. Nice and big, easily holds all the equipment you mention. Blue Seventy also makes a smaller (and cheaper) "workout" bag; this is the bigger one. There's an outside pocket that you can put your helmet into and attach it to one of the straps; a lower section that is lined with waterproof material that will hold a full wetsuit and/or wet running shoes, several interior and exterior pockets for things like electronics (Garmin, bike computer, phone) , Body Glide, sunscreen, nutrition, etc. Two external water bottle pockets as well. It's carried like a backpack and the straps are quite comfortable even if you have narrow shoulders like me.

The bag is extremely sturdy and holds a ton of sh.... I not only use it for triathlons, some of which require a full or shorty wetsuit, but for bike tour trips, and even for a four-week trip to Europe last year! On the latter trip I managed to get in not only two sets of bike and running clothes, but also a shorty sleeveless wetsuit, three or four outfits for time off the bike, all toiletries for a four-week trip, and my I-pad, Granted, I'm a really light packer, but it's a commodious and sturdy bag and well worth the money. The only caveat I can think of is that airlines can be tough on the external attachments. Over the past few years one of the buckles on the helmet holder strap has been damaged, and there are small tears in the water bottle pockets. I've started putting it in a rain cover or cheap plastic "market bag" (found everywhere in Asia) to protect it when I check it on a flight. You can also ask the airline to put it in a large plastic bag--many US carriers do this for free with backpacks to prevent damage to external straps and pockets.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-10-25 7:44 AM
2014-10-25 7:50 AM
in reply to: #5062804

Thanks. I have seen the blue seventy bag online. It seems pretty popular. I've considered just getting a really big duffel bag but when I look at the price for a quality duffel bag it gets closer to the blue seventy price
2014-10-25 5:19 PM
in reply to: #5062862

Ended up getting a big Nike duffel bag at sports authority. It's a good size and has one big wet storage area and another smaller one. I was able to put pretty everything I need in there. It was on sale for $44.
2014-10-30 12:23 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
My wife and I use the GYST transition bag.

I really like it. Holds everything I need for a race. running and biking shoes, helmet, wetsuit.

http://gystconcept.com/

2014-10-30 1:39 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

New user
If I were you, I'd get a mesh duffel bag for swim gear so you don't have mold growing inside your bag. I'd put all running gear in a drawstring bag. I'm not sure about the cycling gears. I'd probably get a commuter backpack, as they're designed with cycling stuff in mind.

Single bag can be nice, but do you really haul any two items at a given movement? It takes less space since you can shuffle things around if you kept it separate.

2014-11-10 12:15 AM
in reply to: #5062920

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I got a backpack with race "swag" and that's what I've been using. I do keep my swim gear at work since that's where I swim but I too have a large Nike duffle bag with ALL of my running/bike gear. However it's to big to haul unless for races or vacation so I resort to my transition bag for all other times.
2014-11-10 1:12 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Love my Ogio, forget the exact model number. Has a pouch for a helmet, a compartment for shoes, an armored compartment for things like glasses and Garmin, and a ventilated compartment in the bottom for the wet and sweaty stuff. It's a duffel that can be worn like a backpack, so if you have to park far away, you can ride your bike to transition with your bag on your back.

Might be this one http://ogio.com/endurance/new9-0
2014-11-13 7:15 AM
in reply to: rjames91

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I use one of those Speedo backpacks.  It holds alot of gear and the interior is light colored so I can see things.  I have other nice bags but the black interior makes in virtually impossible to find things.

An idea for your swim gear, buy an extra suit and goggles.  Keep them and a towel @ work in a string bag in your cube/workspace.  This is what I do so I don't have to lug my swim gear back and forth.  I bought little hooks that attach to my office furniture to hang things to dry in area that no one can really see.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition and training bag Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Looking for suggestions on a good transition bag

Started by EABonney
Views: 1449 Posts: 19

2008-06-23 8:55 PM MKC

Transition bags...?!

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1039 Posts: 12

2007-05-21 9:52 AM bikingbruise

Triathlon Transition Bag

Started by gvmeihoff
Views: 2584 Posts: 13

2006-11-27 9:58 PM WaterDog66

What do you use to carry all your stuff - transition bag question

Started by c_cic
Views: 781 Posts: 7

2006-01-13 12:10 PM rollinsw

transition bag, back pack, duffel bag

Started by snoopy
Views: 982 Posts: 4

2005-05-13 5:48 PM trimom3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 0
I was pretty excited to test out a triathlon-specific gear bag. I'm on the lookout for something functional, comfortable, and maybe even a bit stylish.

date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.
date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.

date : March 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on wide feet, Ironman nutrition and it's importance, the use of fins in swimming, transition mistakes, special needs bags and running sockless.
date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
A few trathletes at a local race setup their transition area.
date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Dillion
If anyone is considering expanding their horizons and getting into doing an Ironman distance or ½ Ironman distance race, there are many tips and tricks that can help in having a pleasant experience.