Competitive Events
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 10s
Overall Rank = 30/146
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/23
Pre-race routine:

First to arrive when transition opened at 5:30 AM. Got the best spot on the bike rack for my Race#. Wicked, I mean WICKED windy. Non-stop 15 to 20 mph beach winds.
Event warmup:

Some 40 yard strides.
Swim
  • 10m 21s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim is in the Long Island Sound, which looked more like the Atlantic Ocean. The conditions were so rough the marine crew could not get the buoys out and anchored, so the swim was modified to a long point-to-point.

I made it a point to get out quick, with the front of the group, since the swim was shortened. Last year the swim was modified as well due to rough conditions.
What would you do differently?:

Swallow a little less water if possible. Waves were huge. I've really been inconsistent with my swimming since IMMT so I was happy with this time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

50 yard run to Transition. Competitive Events does a nice job and they had a lot of carpeting, which was great because mine and everyone else's feet were frozen. Took the extra few seconds to put socks on. Bumbled a little bit with getting suit off.

Bumble less.
Bike
  • 45m 9s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a short but challenging course. For the majority of the ride you're either climbing or on a screaming downhill. There are few busy intersections and the Law Enforcement did a superb job blocking traffic.

On the steepest climb in the first few miles, my friend Dan (riding in the Sunrise Tri bike support vehicle) was screaming at me, "This is nothing compared to Duplessis!! You got this Buddy!!" The motivation was much appreciated :-)

These are on the roads I train most of the year so I know them well and it's a great, fun course.

My cycling fitness is decent so I was 1:24 faster than last year on this same bike course, but still 1:03 off my time from 2009.
Transition 2
  • 00m 24s
Comments:

First place overall for T2 time! Rode in with feet on the pedals. Shot in and racked my back on the end. Threw on my running flats with speed laces. Threw off helmet. And bolted. Watching all those ITU races paid off.

Notta.
Run
  • 21m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt decent coming off the bike. It's a 5k so I pushed right out of the gate. Although I was pushing and the mind was willing to suffer, the legs only turned over so fast. The course enters beach brush on a concrete path that twists and turns and within every 10 yards your line of site is obstructed, so it's easy to lose sight of runners in front of you.

About a mile in a runner passed me in my AG. He was moving at a decent clip so I just tried to keep him in sight, but with the maze like course, I lost him. Still I pushed. On the back half it's open road and I was able to sight him again but he was far ahead.

Second loop my legs were turning over faster, and I saw my buddy Bobby Moore who I did IMMT with. After seeing and passing him, another athlete from my AG went cruising passed me. I knew if I had a shot at an AG podium I couldn't let him go. I buried myself and kept him within 20 yards. Coming out of the brush maze and onto the open road, I grunted and sprinted passing a bunch of other AG's and runners starting their first lap. I caught a glimpse of the athlete but, he too, was pushing and i didn't have the fitness to catch him. All the heart and desire can't trump fitness over the long haul.

I finished strong though with a sub 7 pace. The announcer in the shoot let everyone know I was a multi-Ironman finisher. The race organizers really did a great, great job - especially considering the windy conditions.

1:06 faster than last year; :56 seconds slower than my best time in 2009. I'll take it.

As usual, I'm way above a weight where I can compete. The AG'ers who finished ahead of me were all easily 15lbs+ lighter than me. It's not rocket science: Consistently train, and race light. Regardless I was satisfied as I had a decent run and gave it 100% and negative split every mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw my friend Dan, Bobby Moore, spent 30 minutes cheering on other runners.

The race organization doesn't allow anyone into transition until the last cyclist comes in. THAT IS A CLASSY RULE. Bravo Competitive Events. Bravo.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inconsistent training and above ideal race weight.

Event comments:

Cedar Beach Triathlon is one of my favorite local, sprint, end-of-season Triathlons. And for all those reasons - it's just the right size, great location and there is just no better way to close out your Tri season.

The event is extremely well run from top to bottom. I can't recommend this event enough.

Last updated: 2014-10-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:21 | 656 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/146
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: Point to Point (modified due to rough water conditions)
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:35
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:09 | 13.8 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: 2-Loop of hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:24
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:44 | 03.11 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Course: 2-loop flat run. First half of each loop is technical on a winding path.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-26 11:49 AM

User image

Subject: Cedar Beach Triathlon

2014-10-27 6:03 PM
in reply to: #5063009

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Cedar Beach Triathlon
Bobby congrats on a great effort and a great race. I totally agree with your assessment, more training and you could have easily been on the podium for your AG. It's always amazes me that you can put up this type of race and effort even when you're not able to put in the training hours you're used to being able to get in. Cedar Beach is definitely a great race to finish out the season and it sounds like the same conditions we had the year before. Glad you did well and enjoyed the race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cedar Beach Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cedar Beach Sprint Triathlon

Started by clarkar12
Views: 1348 Posts: 1

2007-10-08 8:01 PM clarkar12

Started by 1st Timer in NY
Views: 1719 Posts: 6

2007-10-09 8:27 AM daveo1101

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1187 Posts: 2

2007-10-08 7:14 AM 1st Timer in NY

Started by vibraphonedan
Views: 1384 Posts: 3

2007-10-08 7:31 AM 1st Timer in NY

Started by tri_sport19
Views: 1591 Posts: 4

2007-10-08 9:54 AM eburg
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
One of the more impressive areas to spectate.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.
date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.