General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 56m 46s
Overall Rank = 66/654
Age Group = Military
Age Group Rank = 2/25
Pre-race routine:

Went to mellow mushroom in wilmington and had pizza and hummus as standard practice. for 4 days used hammer race day performance booster. morning of the race got up a 5:00. the best western plus coastline inn (the best hotel to stay at if you are doing the race) they opened breakfast an hour early for the triathletes (5:00), I had a waffle some coffee and orange-cranberry juice mixture. got done and went to hilton for bus to T1 at 5:45. (I could have just driven over to T1 with my wife and kids at 7:00 and had no issues, as she suprised me but I had already got on bus to swim start, this would have allowed me 1 extra hour of sleep). So finished transition setup, bottles, port-a-potie, and bike pump with tires (bike mechanics had 10 pumps in the middle of TA). caught the 7:00 bus to the swim start ate a bannana and a larabar and drank water, used port-a-potie again before lines got crazy long then hung out on the dock watching the sun come up and eventually the full distance races go by. I bought clothes at goodwill and slippers at target to leave at the swim start. put the wetsuit on and took my anti-fatigue caps and an advocare O2 gold. 15 minutes prior to took my 1st gu roctane. the full athletes were fast, we noted the first swimmer at 16 minutes and a guy doing a no kick backstroke at 30 minutes.
Event warmup:

got in the water and swam 2 sets of 50 meters between the docks. immediately realized the current was strong as i was getting pushed from one side to the other as I was treading water.
Swim
  • 28m 8s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

would have been good for 9th in M35-39 AG. I started to far left, deepest in the channel to avoid the traffic and fighting, it was also the strongest current. It was hard to stay behind the dock start line due to the current, it took full backstroke and kicking to maintain behind the start position. we got no warning for the horn start and then it blew and we were off. I normally try to start slow and have very controlled breathing because I have blown up early in the swim in the past, but this swim was different the current was very strong and there was nobody in my way so I went for it. I was stuck left side breathing only because the morning sun was coming up on the right and was blinding. I rounded the 3rd buoy and made the left turn into the channel and found the current still pushing strong, high tide was supposed to be at 9:08 and our start time was 8:45 so I knew I needed to keep the hammer down. I stayed in the center and swam angles that would assist with the current, being in the navy and knowing how to navigate inter-coastal waterways has its advantages. My wife gave me some great advice about emptying my bladder before I exit the swim, I sighted the red flag for swim exit and about 100 yards from out I stopped kicking and emptied the bladder into my wetsuit. I got to the ladders and only had to wait for 2 people ahead of me to climb out the I got my shot. I knew my swim was pretty strong because I caught 2 waves worth of people due to their swim caps.
What would you do differently?:

nothing best swim I have ever put down. probably could have used a touch more body glide on the side of my neck because I chaffed a small amount.
Transition 1
  • 04m 10s
Comments:

T1 is about 400 meters away so you have to run a considerable distance. The good thing is that there are plenty of strippers to get your suit off. next on the way to transition was the showers, the water was warm and felt great. I had been told to take my time and get all the salt water off or the chaffing would hurt later on the bike and run. as I made my way across the road I spotted my wife and kisd and that was a huge boost. i almost dropped my bike as I ran out of transition and the bike dropped from the curb to the road. I took a gu roctane in transition. I had glove and armsleeves in TA but chose not to wear them because it was warm enough with the sun out. I did wear thick socks and the toes of my shoes were taped with duct tape to my feet warm as it was low 50's at race start time but was to come up to 60's by noon.

be more careful with the bike. overall T1 was good for 108th.
Bike
  • 2h 27m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.79 mile/hr
Comments:

would have been good for 3rd in M35-39 AG. My plan was to drink water bottle in my from profile design hc water system, the have 3 bottles on the bike with scratch and carbpro mix and grab a water bottle at the 21 mile aid station. however, i launched a bottle off the tail of my bike and had to grab a water/heed mix at the final aid station that was gross and might have messed me up on the run but maybe not. I also took gu roctance at 10, 20, 40, and 50 mile marks. I ate a larabar and a second surge at mile 30. I took anti fatigue caps at 20, 40, and 55 miles. Pace was amazing throughout the course. I took the first mile very slow because there was so much traffic coming out of T1 and there was a lot of turns and led to the bridge. Taking it slow on the medal grates is mandatory even at 14mph my wheels had a little wobble and I felt like I might crash. on the ride there was only mild head wind on the military highway and the last few miles on 421. the entire way back had tailwind and was able to mash out 23-26mph. the highway was a bit sketchy at times due to bad riders and limited spaces, we had 80% of the lane because the orange safety cones took up 20% of the lane (I saw one bike crash when he hit a cone at 20mph). also it was tough to navigate through the full and half ironman bikers at this point in the race because everyone was still trying to spread out.

hold onto my bottle better.
Transition 2
  • 04m 46s
Comments:

I got off the bike and ran it into the convention center, coolest ever to have a volunteer take and rack my bike. I ran through the convention center and they called out my number on the PA but I ran down the wrong aisle. Nobody grabbed my bag so I double back to the right aisle but a volunteer had now passed my bag back to where I was at and me met in the middle and she flipped my bag to me. I ran into the dressing area for a full change (i wear a pearl izumi octane race suit with sleeves because it saves 10 watts over any other non sleeved suit, but it's not great for running with). next I ran into the bathroom and emptied the bladder and intestines, before finally making it out and dropping my bad at the door.

better knowledge of where my bag is.
Run
  • 1h 52m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

would have been good for 20th in M35-39 AG. plan was to take gu roctane at mile 2 and 5 and second surges at 7.5 and 10.5. I knew that I would need to take water and heed at every aid station and supplement coke and salt tabs throughout the run. I tried for 2 cups every aid station but the liquids weren't settling very good and i was spitting up about half of what i was drinking. i tried to slowly walk the aid stations but it didn't help. i kept a relatively strong pace sub 8 until mile 7.5 but felt it starting to slip away a bit as I realized I wasn't sweating anymore. tried to get salt tabs at miles 7.5 and 10.5 to help with the impending dehydration and cramping. I also tried to take 3 cups of liquid and walk a bit longer at each aid station. at mile 11 there is a transition back from the sidewalk to the road and I felt my left hamstring twinge so I walked 100 feet and rubbed it out. I was able to get back to running but every time we had a hill to climb my hamstring would completely cramp and I would walk the hill. I finally got back to the street on the river and was just trying to coast in as I hit the finisher shoot the hamstring went again and I had to hobble through and cross the mat but got a great announcement and cheer from the crowd for being a military member. I volunteer grabbed me and helped me walk to the get my medal from triathlon legend Michellie Jones.

try to keep the liquids down better and drink more liquids at each aid station.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a rub and some water at the medical aid station Walked back to the hotel that was 4 blocks away from finish. Took a shower, layed on the bed and ate leftover mellow mushroom pizza. After shower went to convention center, 1 block away and picked up my bike and bags then made it back for awards and claimed 2nd place in military division.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim best ever, bike best ever, run below average due to cramping and dehydration.

Event comments:

Absolutely great event and a must do for anyone looking for a 1st half ironman. The volunteers were absolutely incredible! The locals fully support the race and were friendly as can be. the swim is blazing fast and is set to have a strong current every year. The bike course has <250 feet of total climbing and is marked well and controlled by police well. The run is desolate most of the way and can beat you up mentally if you arent careful. The finish line energy is like nothing else! Finishers get a beautiful medal and a pair of pajama pants.

Last updated: 2014-10-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:08 | 2000 meters | 01m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/25
Overall: 105/654
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Tsunami
Course: The PPD B2B Half swim course will be staged at Wrightsville Beach and will be a unique point-to-point layout with a wave start. The swim takes place in a channel that is connected to the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway; so it's a salt water swim but not in the ocean. An incoming tide with participants swimming with the current will make for some very fast times for the 1.2 mile course. The water temperature will be in the upper 60's to low 70's - perfect for wetsuit use (which is mandatory).
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:27:26 | 56 miles | 22.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 29/654
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The 56 mile bike course takes competitors from Wrightsville Beach, through the northern section of Wilmington and then up towards White Lake - home of one of the more famous half iron distance events on the east coast. The bike course is totally flat with the only elevation change taking place when participants finish the bike course by crossing a bridge on the way into the second transition area located inside the Wilmington Convention Center. Vehicular traffic on the bike course will be extremely light throughout the course.aid stations were at mile 21 and 45.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:46
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:52:18 | 13.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/25
Overall: 132/654
Performance: Below average
Course: The one loop out and back run course will start and finish in downtown Wilmington. Competitors will wind their way through downtown and will also feature a trip around picturesque Greenfield Lake. One of the featured aspects of PPD B2B will be the run course aid stations. Located every mile along the 13.1 mile loop, each aid station will serve a variety of food, drinks, and energy products to assist each athlete. Event organizers will be conducting a contest amongst the aid stations (voted on by the participants), so each group or company assigned to a particular aid station will be trying their best to "out do" the other aid stations. Aid station volunteers will be in costume and will be playing live or recorded music. On a more serious note, all aid stations will also be fully staffed with EMS personnel, HAM radio operators, and port-a-lets.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-26 8:05 PM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2014-10-27 6:09 AM
in reply to: #5063076

User image

Camden, NC
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Great race! I raced the full last year and we had a slack tide for the most part, would have loved that current!
2014-10-27 2:45 PM
in reply to: #5063076

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
nice job out there, man! quick bike! good overall effort! swim was awesome this year!
those grates are scary. even going slow, i was sliding on them and all i could think of was "meat grinder below".
congrats on the 2nd in category!
2014-10-30 9:34 AM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
thanks for the complements! that was a truly great race. had the bike and swim of my life, run was a little below average but was on average pace until I blew up and started cramping. The bike was fun because I ended up playing the yo-yo game with the top 2 overall females.

you guys had a great race too!
2014-10-30 11:35 AM
in reply to: navybeaver

User image

Veteran
Great work
Bottle eject brothers! Lol
Your nutrition is crazy-compared to me-I guess were all different.
Great report.
Best wishes on future races!
2014-11-10 5:16 PM
in reply to: franktheguard

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
i'm still trying to dial in nutrition, what's your plan?

2014-11-12 10:59 AM
in reply to: navybeaver

User image

Veteran
Dial it in how-you need more? Because that is what I was meaning comapred to myself.

I load Thursday evening for saturday races.
Night before is light meal but high salt, salt capsule (endurolyte by hammer).
I'm big on breakfast and pre-loading the morning of. (~700-1000cals and 64+ish oz of fluids; water/coconut water/mt dew/powerade) with a salt capsule (hammer).
On the bike I carry (ejected this race a 32 oz of amino acids and water) 20oz backup HEED
Had a Justins /almond and maple butter/ pouch (200cals) and a gu PB (100cal)
I ended up taking water only at the 19 aid station-had finished the HEED by then.
At the 46 I took a HEED bottle (finished about 3/4 of it by the 56) had finished the water.
On the run-nothing.

I used to take in more during my rides (multiple trials of diffrent products) but all resultsed in cramping off the bike, and sometimes ON the bike. When I switched to water only and reduced the amount in voume Ive been good to go.
I used to "drop" bottles along my courses but just got lazy. So no I just got used to taking in nothing on my runs during training. Well except gum, I have to be chewing gum.
2014-11-12 11:59 AM
in reply to: franktheguard

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by franktheguard

Dial it in how-you need more? Because that is what I was meaning comapred to myself.

I load Thursday evening for saturday races.
Night before is light meal but high salt, salt capsule (endurolyte by hammer).
I'm big on breakfast and pre-loading the morning of. (~700-1000cals and 64+ish oz of fluids; water/coconut water/mt dew/powerade) with a salt capsule (hammer).
On the bike I carry (ejected this race a 32 oz of amino acids and water) 20oz backup HEED
Had a Justins /almond and maple butter/ pouch (200cals) and a gu PB (100cal)
I ended up taking water only at the 19 aid station-had finished the HEED by then.
At the 46 I took a HEED bottle (finished about 3/4 of it by the 56) had finished the water.
On the run-nothing.

I used to take in more during my rides (multiple trials of diffrent products) but all resultsed in cramping off the bike, and sometimes ON the bike. When I switched to water only and reduced the amount in voume Ive been good to go.
I used to "drop" bottles along my courses but just got lazy. So no I just got used to taking in nothing on my runs during training. Well except gum, I have to be chewing gum.

I do a similar plan...Eat well the week before, especially things like quinoa and other foods that will replenish amino acids, minerals, and nutrients. Race morning, eat big, too. During the race, I neck a bottle of UCAN in T1, then carry one more flask on my bike, in my bento box. I take it 1.5 hours into the bike. I put electrolyte tabs in my BTA bottle (no other bottles) and just grab water on the course. I keep 2 emergency gels in my bento box, just in case I drop my flask. That's all. For the run, I drink water/heed on the course, but that's it.

I used to do a lot more, but i ended up cramped up and not feeling so well. now, i usually come off the bike ready to run with no issues.
2014-11-14 1:43 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Great race! Thank you for your service.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by mdfahy
Views: 2064 Posts: 3

2011-11-07 1:36 PM RunRene

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1682 Posts: 1

2011-10-30 3:49 PM La Tortuga

Started by t-ray2
Views: 1417 Posts: 2

2010-11-30 11:27 AM kenbert61

Started by ceco911
Views: 2311 Posts: 1

2010-11-18 8:57 PM ceco911

Started by carterbarton1
Views: 1651 Posts: 2

2010-11-15 1:10 PM argylemonkey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.
date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.