Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by jeffnboise

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

I see the Republicans gaining the Senate, but not by much. 

Then, for the next two years they get to actually LEGISLATE.  They get to debate and vote on bills that they hope will shape the direction of the country.  And two yrs from now, they'll be held responsible for those votes; They'll be no more hiding behind the president or the party in the majority.   If, as American's, we like what we see; a social-economic-environmental future that we can all live with, then perhaps the (Far Right) Conservative movement will survive....however.....

BTW:  Esquire Magazine, Nov. issue has a FABULOUS article about what CONGRESS thinks is wrong with Congress.  They mostly all agree on the same obstacles to actual governing;  Money, Gerrymandered voting districts and Ted Cruz. 

Agree 100%. Be careful what you wish for, GOP. They wanted this election to be a referendum on Obama's policies, and I guess it was. But, now the GOP is in a position where they're going to be expected to actually DO something, as opposed to merely opposing things. They won't be able to blame politcal inaction on the Democrats or the president-- it'll be on them.

Not necessarily......the best thing they can do is pass a bunch of bills they know Obama will veto.....who will it be on then?

Really, THAT'S the BEST they can do?  Both parties can just continue the cycle of obstruct, deny, deflect while NOTHING gets done? 

I don't think I'm being a PollyAnna, but I hope for better things than that.

Oh, I agree....poor choice of words on my part. 

But let's be serious about this.....Obama's presidency has been a disaster.  I don't know how history won't view him and his administration as the biggest bunch of buffoons in the history of that office.....and I'll agree, he had to pass some pretty stiff competition on both sides of the isle to win that race.

Based on opinion or based on quantitative data?

Based on polls, you might be right.  Based on actual quantitative data on what has gotten better v what has gotten worse, THAT might not be so easy to prove and state categorically.

I actually had this exact conversation with a friend this morning.
I outlined a multitude of quantitative data which indicated Obama's tenure had been a success (especially when viewed from the lens of the rotting corpse he inherited from Bush), while the only rebuttal I received was Fox&Friends-esque sound bites.

I soon realized that people really don't care about facts.

A major flaw of the two-party system is the "Us vs Them", win at all cost, mentality of the general (aka uneducated) population.

Oh, come on......this administration is as ham handed as can be possible to still be taken seriously.  From the Obamacare rollout debacle, through the IRS scandal of "losing" records, to the handling of the ISIS ramp up, to dealing with Putin, to the DHS phone snooping, to the Secret Service meltdown and on and on and on.  In fact, there seems to be no end to the dumbness from these clowns.  I don't know how anyone could take anything that comes out of the WH seriously.......and Holder? ...my god, this guy is one of the biggest numbskulls to ever hold the AG office.

I don't watch TV, I don't look at Fox news........I just sit and laugh.   I don't have an "us vs. them" attitude.......I'll vote either party.  But geez......I can't believe how many people bought into this President.  I'm stunned at how this administration just rolls along......clueless.

Granted, this report was WELL before a lot of this stuff happened, but it is worth a read.  Again, it is not black and white.  It is convoluted.  Would love for him to redo this again to see what has happened in the last 2 years and whether it has changed (which it likely has).

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/23/contemplating-obamas-place-in-history-statistically/?_r=0 

2014-11-06 11:35 AM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Election 2014

Originally posted by Brit Abroad

I outlined a multitude of quantitative data which indicated Obama's tenure had been a success.

Why don't you lay it out for us.

2014-11-06 2:41 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

I think the most impressive result of this election is that 31 states now have Republican governors and 24 states have the legislative and executive branch with both GOP governors and a full GOP majority while the same can be said for only 6 states in Democrat control.

Who would have thought just a year ago that reliably blue states like Illinois, Massachusetts, and Maryland would all now have GOP Governors. That to me seems like a resounding rejection of the Democrat agenda and not the result of an uniformed electorate but an electorate that finally woke up.
2014-11-06 3:49 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by Jackemy1 I think the most impressive result of this election is that 31 states now have Republican governors and 24 states have the legislative and executive branch with both GOP governors and a full GOP majority while the same can be said for only 6 states in Democrat control. Who would have thought just a year ago that reliably blue states like Illinois, Massachusetts, and Maryland would all now have GOP Governors. That to me seems like a resounding rejection of the Democrat agenda and not the result of an uniformed electorate but an electorate that finally woke up.

If the voting level was the same as it was in 2012 or 2010, then yes, I would agree with you.  But the turn out numbers were significantly lower, including in those states, so you can't compare.  I'm not saying it was an informed electorate or not, but you can't say that the electorate woke up when in some areas the percent drop was almost 10% (OK at 9%) and the three states you listed were down 2.9%, 5%, and 0.9% respectively from 2010 (last governor's race and mid-term).  

2014-11-06 4:35 PM
in reply to: crowny2

Expert
These details are meaningless. The strong Democrat advocates will vote democrat, as will the strong Republicans. Data will only convince each that their position is correct, or that the data is 'manipulated' and it will be discounted. Voter turnout isn't typically related to the swing votes, so I would imagine low voter turnout was a sign of apathy amongst typical democrat voters. The key takeaway from this election is that, given enough time, either party can formulate an effective strategy to win back control, and given enough time, the resident party will lose control. For those who want to figure out Obama, just take a look at how the Chicago political machine (which he still is a part of) functions. Republicans just need to offer some good deals, and the president will jettison immigration, keystone and corporate tax objections, and even the minimum wage. He will publicly fight Obamacare repeal, but will want it repealed so Dems can point to how the Republicans screwed up health care (the ball will be in their court and there is not enough time to fix the issues withing the next two-years, although they will offer the repeal for 2017).

2014-11-06 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Jackemy1 I think the most impressive result of this election is that 31 states now have Republican governors and 24 states have the legislative and executive branch with both GOP governors and a full GOP majority while the same can be said for only 6 states in Democrat control. Who would have thought just a year ago that reliably blue states like Illinois, Massachusetts, and Maryland would all now have GOP Governors. That to me seems like a resounding rejection of the Democrat agenda and not the result of an uniformed electorate but an electorate that finally woke up.
\

And we're right back to 2010, when Reps. won back the House, many Govenorships and the red Wave was sweeping across the country.....and STILL a (unpopular) Democrat got relected as President 2 yrs. later.   When nobody cares to vote, Republicans seem to do well.   There is nobody, and I mean NOBODY on the Republican bench that will win in a 2016 General Election after having survived a jaw dropping primary .  If there was, we wouldn't be talking about another Bush or Romney version 3.

2014-11-06 7:35 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro

\

And we're right back to 2010, when Reps. won back the House, many Govenorships and the red Wave was sweeping across the country.....and STILL a (unpopular) Democrat got relected as President 2 yrs. later.   When nobody cares to vote, Republicans seem to do well.   There is nobody, and I mean NOBODY on the Republican bench that will win in a 2016 General Election after having survived a jaw dropping primary .  If there was, we wouldn't be talking about another Bush or Romney version 3.

Jeff, I respect your opinion.......but Illinois just elected a Republican Gov.  Think about that for a minute.  How did the Obama administration screw this up so badly?

There was no "hope and change".........it's a completely failed narrative.

2014-11-06 10:52 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

\

Jeff, I respect your opinion.......but Illinois just elected a Republican Gov.  Think about that for a minute.  How did the Obama administration screw this up so badly?

They also just reelected a democratic senator. Illinois House of Representatives the democratic seats went up. 71 to 47. The State senate did lose a seat so Its 39 to 20. I think its more about not liking Quinn. I am also sure Rauner's 66 million for his campaign versus about 33 million for Quinn also had something to do with it.
2014-11-07 8:30 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

If the voting level was the same as it was in 2012 or 2010, then yes, I would agree with you.  But the turn out numbers were significantly lower, including in those states, so you can't compare.  I'm not saying it was an informed electorate or not, but you can't say that the electorate woke up when in some areas the percent drop was almost 10% (OK at 9%) and the three states you listed were down 2.9%, 5%, and 0.9% respectively from 2010 (last governor's race and mid-term).  

My state had 62% turnout with many polling stations running out of ballots, so we had a pretty energized electorate. I can only speculate that the Democrats voiced their displeasure with Democrats by staying home which is why you see the low turnouts it those heavily Democratic states. Much like the Republicans did in 2008.

2014-11-07 9:03 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Jackemy1

My state had 62% turnout with many polling stations running out of ballots, so we had a pretty energized electorate. I can only speculate that the Democrats voiced their displeasure with Democrats by staying home which is why you see the low turnouts it those heavily Democratic states. Much like the Republicans did in 2008.

Or the fact that Democrats historically do not show up at midterm elections.  

2014-11-07 9:04 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion

Originally posted by chirunner134

\

They also just reelected a democratic senator. Illinois House of Representatives the democratic seats went up. 71 to 47. The State senate did lose a seat so Its 39 to 20. I think its more about not liking Quinn. I am also sure Rauner's 66 million for his campaign versus about 33 million for Quinn also had something to do with it.

This.  Had nothing to do with Obama.  Had everything to do with a pathetic governor that did nothing for the state.

2014-11-07 4:46 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

\

Great Point!

Illinois politics are a mess; always have been.  At last count i think 2-3 of our last governors were in jail or had served in jail.  Illinois is NOT a good example for ANY political argument.

2014-11-07 4:59 PM

User image

Pro

\

Great Point!

Illinois politics are a mess; always have been.  At last count i think 2-3 of our last governors were in jail or had served in jail.  Illinois is NOT a good example for ANY political argument.

I live right on the Mississippi so I can see Illinois (I'm like Palin LMAO )........it's like another country over there.  Gas is .40 - .60 higher, taxes on everything else are crazy high, so you would think they'd have some extra change sitting around......that state is still as forked up as public television.

2014-11-07 6:03 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

\

Great Point!

4 of the last 7 governors. Last 2 were ones right before Quinn. Best part was one was republican and one was a democrat.

http://abc7chicago.com/archive/8973798/
2014-11-10 11:10 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

\

I need to save this post for 2016.  hehe

I have a sneaky suspicion that the Republicans could control 100% of the House and Senate and you'd still feel the same way.  ;-)

2016 is wide open and it depends heavily on who the parties get through the primaries.  The Republicans or the Democrats could easily win or lose in 2016, but based on Obama's unpopularity and the fact that all politicians are running from him gives the advantage to the Republicans in my opinion.

2014-11-10 4:09 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Then, for the next two years they get to actually LEGISLATE.  They get to debate and vote on bills that they hope will shape the direction of the country.  And two yrs from now, they'll be held responsible for those votes; They'll be no more hiding behind the president or the party in the majority.   If, as American's, we like what we see; a social-economic-environmental future that we can all live with, then perhaps the (Far Right) Conservative movement will survive....however.....

BTW:  Esquire Magazine, Nov. issue has a FABULOUS article about what CONGRESS thinks is wrong with Congress.  They mostly all agree on the same obstacles to actual governing;  Money, Gerrymandered voting districts and Ted Cruz. 

Agree 100%. Be careful what you wish for, GOP. They wanted this election to be a referendum on Obama's policies, and I guess it was. But, now the GOP is in a position where they're going to be expected to actually DO something, as opposed to merely opposing things. They won't be able to blame politcal inaction on the Democrats or the president-- it'll be on them.

Not necessarily......the best thing they can do is pass a bunch of bills they know Obama will veto.....who will it be on then?

Really, THAT'S the BEST they can do?  Both parties can just continue the cycle of obstruct, deny, deflect while NOTHING gets done? 

One thing I was thinking about the other day was how the Republicans were labeled the party of "No" because of the filibuster and obstructionist methodologies.  Now, that the shoe is on the other foot, I suspect that the Democrats will just allow all legislation approved by congress to go unchallenged to the WH.   haha, I know I know, fat chance.... Democrats will likely tape the No button down on all their voting boards.

2014-11-12 10:11 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by tuwood

One thing I was thinking about the other day was how the Republicans were labeled the party of "No" because of the filibuster and obstructionist methodologies.  Now, that the shoe is on the other foot, I suspect that the Democrats will just allow all legislation approved by congress to go unchallenged to the WH.   haha, I know I know, fat chance.... Democrats will likely tape the No button down on all their voting boards.

I'm sure that as soon as Senator Collins convinces her fellow GOP legislators that their first order of business should be to re-install the Senate rules that protect the minority party, it will usher forth a new wave of compromise and consensus-building throughout the Legislature, and the partisan obstructionist tactics will be a thing of the past.

In a related story, there's this really nice historic old stone bridge not far from my apartment. I'd be happy to sell it to anyone interested.
2014-11-19 2:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'm sure that as soon as Senator Collins convinces her fellow GOP legislators that their first order of business should be to re-install the Senate rules that protect the minority party, it will usher forth a new wave of compromise and consensus-building throughout the Legislature, and the partisan obstructionist tactics will be a thing of the past.

In a related story, there's this really nice historic old stone bridge not far from my apartment. I'd be happy to sell it to anyone interested.

I thinks the President's antics around executive orders and the recent revelations regarding Gruber has riled up the conservative base enough that changing the rules will now be political poison. The Dems are showing their cards that they are going further left. So, I think the next two years will be about punishing Reid and working on getting the White House in 2016.

Edited by Jackemy1 2014-11-19 2:33 PM
2014-11-20 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I thinks the President's antics around executive orders and the recent revelations regarding Gruber has riled up the conservative base enough that changing the rules will now be political poison. The Dems are showing their cards that they are going further left. So, I think the next two years will be about punishing Reid and working on getting the White House in 2016.

We can argue all day about "who started it", but either way, it's a mess and it's not getting better anytime soon. One things for certain, this most recent election notwithstanting, if the Tea Party succced in their goal of pushing the GOP even further to the right, and their presidential nominee comes in talking about "personhood" and "family values", they're going to lose the election again.
2015-01-20 2:17 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

McConnell has also said that after last November’s elections, he received a lot of calls from Democrats wondering whether he would really go through with his promise to restore their rights. The answer is yes.

McConnell’s restoration of what is called “regular order” will give both Republican and Democratic lawmakers something they have not had in eight years under Harry Reid: the chance to have actual input into the making of laws

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/2015/01/20/york-mitch-mcco...
2015-01-21 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

McConnell has also said that after last November’s elections, he received a lot of calls from Democrats wondering whether he would really go through with his promise to restore their rights. The answer is yes.

McConnell’s restoration of what is called “regular order” will give both Republican and Democratic lawmakers something they have not had in eight years under Harry Reid: the chance to have actual input into the making of laws

Good for him. I hope he's successful and that both the majority and the minority party respect the process once it's implemented. I think it's a nice gesture and a good start and McConnell deserves credit for both, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say, "I'll believe it when I see it."

2015-01-21 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Good for him. I hope he's successful and that both the majority and the minority party respect the process once it's implemented. I think it's a nice gesture and a good start and McConnell deserves credit for both, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say, "I'll believe it when I see it."

My thoughts exactly, especially given the partisan source of the article. I am not holding my breath, but hope springs eternal!
2015-01-21 9:41 AM

User image

Agreed.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Election 2014 Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

CPAC 2014 Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 6297 Posts: 104

2014-11-04 6:18 PM jeffnboise

I figured out who I'm supporting for the 2016 election

Started by tuwood
Views: 1600 Posts: 5

2013-10-20 8:33 AM strykergt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2004
author : infosteward
comments : 0
Buried beneath election rhetoric about stem-cell research, gender in marriage and taxes are issues that could seriously affect your newfound hobby – triathlons.