General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gym and run or bike on same day? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-28 4:39 AM

Subject: Gym and run or bike on same day?
Hi, been struggling to fit in a gym session into my training schedule. Due to circumstances - time/convenience etc... I need to gym in the morning - one a week, whole body. Is it okay to do a zone 2/3 run in the evening? Have a rest day after, then back on the bike.

Anyone doing anything similar?

Thanks

2014-10-28 8:06 AM
in reply to: KETri

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Gym and run or bike on same day?

Yes, it's OK.  I don't do it (because I don't lift/strength train at the gym), but I do run & bike or swim & run on the same day.  If your sessions aren't too hard, you don't necessarily need a rest day after, either.

2014-10-28 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure how much training benefit you are getting from lifting once a week. There's not a lot of solid evidence that strength training helps tri performance, but even if you have other reasons for training (injury prevention, addressing imbalances, aesthetics) spreading it out (even if that means doing mostly body-weight exercises you could do at home) between 3 or 4 shorter sessions would probably be more effective.

That being said, unless it's serious power lifting, plyometrics, or something else that's going to make you really sore, I wouldn't worry too much about where it goes relative to swim/bike/run. Basically you just don't want to be starting a workout, especially an intense one, already sore/fatigued from lifting. That's particularly true for swim and run, where your form can easily fall apart if muscles are tired/tight/sore, and make you more vulnerable to injury. I lift three times a week and not at the most ideal times, training-wise. I do it when it's most convenient time-wise, which is usually the evening after run speedwork (in the morning), after and easy run, and after my long ride. I do make it a point not to do a lot of lower-body work if I'll be running hard in the morning, or too much upper-body work before swimming.
2014-10-28 9:29 AM
in reply to: #5063364

Thanks for the replies. My schedule looks like this - 3 weeks on and 1 week rest (reduced volume and intensity)

Mon - am gym (light - adductors and step ups - upper body circuit 5x5)
- pm run 30 mins 70-75%
Tue - am swim tempo
- pm bike intervals
Wed - am gym (5x5 - squats, deadlifts, calves 3x10)
Thur - am swim intervals
Fri - pm bike threshold
Sat - run - 5k race pace
Sun - bike - long ride (z2/3)

How does that look? I'm primarily focused on bike as also time trial so want to keep that side of things up. Could take the Thursday swim and move it to Friday morning so to give a day of complete rest - but thought that being low impact it might be okay there.
2014-11-09 6:32 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Hot RunnerThere's not a lot of solid evidence that strength training helps tri performance,

I'm of the opinion that unless you've reached a minimum amount of fitness, being more generally fit will definitely help. Which lifting helps with.

Me personally, I find squats&deadlifts&presses help me maintain better posture(necessary for running) and maintaining good position on the bike as well.

Edited by jsully 2014-11-09 6:34 PM
2014-11-16 7:24 AM

User image

Lafayette, Louisiana
I tried it but I was not able to maintain this routine.

2014-11-21 3:46 PM

User image

I did the couch to sprint training program this summer and finished my first sprint in September. It had me more than ready. I am following something similar for my offseason program for improved performance come next season. The program also gives you specific exercises that are tri specific for strength training. Lats, biceps, quads, hamstring, back, and chest along with core exercises as well. I really recommend it!
2015-02-21 3:06 PM

It depends too on what exercises you couple with your running day, in particular. For me anyway, if I run and do squats on the same day, even not back to back, I end up having hip pain before long. So, just have to fiddle around to find the right balance. That's key. Otherwise, not a problem to run/bike on the same days as the gym.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gym and run or bike on same day? Rss Feed