BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-11-25 6:43 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Thanks for the cheers everyone. We had a good time in Philly. DH rocked the full with a 3:23 finish. However, at home we are in shock. We live in a sleepy little town about 20 minutes away from a highway and Hartford (the capital of CT) and it's always considered a safe place to live. We are in the middle of a rail trail system that runs through our town and north up to MA and South almost to the shore. A trail I run on A LOT both alone and with friends. On Thursday night, a woman and fellow triathlete was stabbed in the chest and died on the trail. Not just on the trail but right in the middle of the most populated, heavily trafficked and well lit section. WTF? http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/11/residents_shocked_ma... Police seem baffled.

Oh Randee, his sad.  Absolutely gut wrenching.

Randee, I am so saddened to see this, your whole community is in my thoughts and prayers. What a terrible thing to happen.

2014-11-25 7:51 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by StaceyK I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but THANK YOU SHEILA!!!! Doing 100m repeats today and they were consistently around 10 seconds faster than the have ever been. So I am sore but happy girl this morning.

I'm going to forward this to her.

It will make her happy and me more miserable (which translates directly, as you have found, into better swimming). Ah shyte.

Keep up the awesome work! It ain't easy, I know!

2014-11-25 7:53 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by melbo55

Yay, Erin and Stacey!!

Erin, glad the toe is finally healing up.  Stacey, great job on hanging in there with the Sheila plan.  You're doing great!

I did my first 7 mi. run yesterday.  It was my longest run ever!!  Not fast, but I made it without too much trouble.  I have a 10 miler on Feb. 20 and I'm feeling confident that I can easily be up to that distance by then.

Another good training result to celebrate! That is a big milestone, congrats!  I don't know how you felt, but I know at various new longest distance milestones I felt like I was on top of the world, like I just conquered some major -something-, LOL.  Keep up the good work!

I do feel really good about it, although it seems a little unreal that I actually ran that far!  After my 10k, I was on a high for several days and couldn't keep the grin off my face--until work descended into utter chaos and I turned into a stress monster.  I'm finding that I'm now really looking forward to my runs (strength training not so much!) as a way to clear my head from all the work crap.  That's new for me.  It used to be that I was just training as a means to an end, whereas now I'm actually enjoying the training itself.

This is the heart of all things and happiness in sport. Yeeeah Happystoned!

2014-11-25 7:54 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I had a great weekend!

Hiked in some snow with my friends (furry and human) and got a few fresh turns with my splitboard.

Then had a race on Sunday where I got to race against AND chat with Lauren Fleshman

I mean, she only beat me by like, three and a half minutes. That's not SO bad

But regardless of her professional status, Oiselle was unable to unseat our club as Regional Champions and we won the meet. Woop woop!

CONGRATULATIONS SALTY AND CO!!!

2014-11-25 7:56 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Thanks for the cheers everyone. We had a good time in Philly. DH rocked the full with a 3:23 finish. However, at home we are in shock. We live in a sleepy little town about 20 minutes away from a highway and Hartford (the capital of CT) and it's always considered a safe place to live. We are in the middle of a rail trail system that runs through our town and north up to MA and South almost to the shore. A trail I run on A LOT both alone and with friends. On Thursday night, a woman and fellow triathlete was stabbed in the chest and died on the trail. Not just on the trail but right in the middle of the most populated, heavily trafficked and well lit section. WTF? http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/11/residents_shocked_ma... Police seem baffled.

Unbelievable. No words. Can only hold all those who knew her in my heart.

2014-11-25 7:57 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Good morning, "majestic" manatees

(This pic was posted from the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium with the heading "Manatees are so majestic")

HAHAHA

That's pretty much me at every meal. And yes, I eat a lot of greens! (best Pop Tart topping ever ... yeah)

2014-11-25 11:34 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Unbelievable. No words. Can only hold all those who knew her in my heart.

Truly horrify and so scary!!!  Sending lots of safe and caring thoughts your way.  Please be careful. (((hug)))

2014-11-25 11:59 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Congrats to you and DH for your success in Philly!  Truly sorry to hear your celebration has the dark cloud of the incident on the trail.  Please keep us posted when they find out more information. 

As someone who runs alone 99% of the time, and often on trails, I don't like to hear about such happenings.  Although I'm not naive enough to think it couldn't happen to me, I'd like to think it won't.  I occasionally carry pepper spray with me, but generally just rely on being aware and in tune to my surroundings and try to stay observant and alert, listening and watching.  I know that doesn't guarantee safety, but it's a step in the right direction.  The need to be alert is one of the reasons I'm anti-headphones (not saying the woman in the story did or didn't, I'm not casting any blame here).  I don't want to not do what I enjoy because of fear. 

I'll step off my 'women doing activities alone shouldn't have to fear the world' soapbox now.

2014-11-25 12:01 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Good morning, "majestic" manatees

(This pic was posted from the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium with the heading "Manatees are so majestic")

Priceless!  Love it!

2014-11-25 12:09 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Oh Randee, his sad.  Absolutely gut wrenching.

Randee, I am so saddened to see this, your whole community is in my thoughts and prayers. What a terrible thing to happen.

What he said! This is just terrible.
2014-11-25 12:10 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Congrats to you and DH for your success in Philly!  Truly sorry to hear your celebration has the dark cloud of the incident on the trail.  Please keep us posted when they find out more information. 

As someone who runs alone 99% of the time, and often on trails, I don't like to hear about such happenings.  Although I'm not naive enough to think it couldn't happen to me, I'd like to think it won't.  I occasionally carry pepper spray with me, but generally just rely on being aware and in tune to my surroundings and try to stay observant and alert, listening and watching.  I know that doesn't guarantee safety, but it's a step in the right direction.  The need to be alert is one of the reasons I'm anti-headphones (not saying the woman in the story did or didn't, I'm not casting any blame here).  I don't want to not do what I enjoy because of fear. 

I'll step off my 'women doing activities alone shouldn't have to fear the world' soapbox now.

Ugh. This whole thing is terrible. In fact, it's  something I've been struggling with since the incident I had. I've been spooked pretty easily while I run. 

I naively thought I was tough, and that I could react and potentially defend myself if anything ever happened. But sometimes there is just 0 time to react. Although I didn't get knocked out, or ever knocked down I was totally paralyzed by the blow. I don't think I quite understood what it would be like to get hit by a man. 

I refuse to let something like this stop me, but I am searching for an appropriate solution. Other than the obvious precautions. I hate running with pepper spray but it might  necessary.

I second Melanie's sentiments in regard to being aware and running without headphones. 

2014-11-25 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ugh. This whole thing is terrible. In fact, it's  something I've been struggling with since the incident I had. I've been spooked pretty easily while I run. 

I naively thought I was tough, and that I could react and potentially defend myself if anything ever happened. But sometimes there is just 0 time to react. Although I didn't get knocked out, or ever knocked down I was totally paralyzed by the blow. I don't think I quite understood what it would be like to get hit by a man. 

I refuse to let something like this stop me, but I am searching for an appropriate solution. Other than the obvious precautions. I hate running with pepper spray but it might  necessary.

I second Melanie's sentiments in regard to being aware and running without headphones. 

Interesting...

As someone who regularly practices defensive tactics, this statement really got me thinking. We practice defending against such things but never practice at 100%.

As for pepper spray. I'm not a fan. Too many things can go wrong. The attacker could get a hold of it and use it against you, the attacker could be impervious to its effects (i've seen this, often), or you could be affected by backspray (i've seen this as well).

I used to run with headphones but started running without them several months ago. Now I use them only at the gym.

2014-11-25 12:45 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I run alone too and often by a park where I had an icky encounter with a guy one time.  I never wear headphones except when I'm on the drainer.  I'd feel a lot safer if I could run with my dog but he pulls too much.  I too try to stay really aware, but I evidently don't always do that.  When I was running up a hill in Breckenridge, I ran right past 3 moose and didn't see them!!

I have a coworker who runs with pepper spray.  She has a little elastic thingie that holds it on her hand so she doesn't even need to grip it at all; it's just right there.  I've thought about getting one but haven't.  I mostly run at night and on neighborhood streets except for my long runs and I've honestly been more concerned about getting hit by a car.  I've been obsessing about getting lights and reflective stuff.  So many things to consider.  I really try not to get freaked out by the risks I take for my training, but it's hard sometimes.  I guess there's only so cautious I can be without getting paralyzed.  Ugh.

We also have a lot of gang activity in our area.  Most of the casualties are people who know their attackers but there's the occasional random bystander who gets shot.  My rec center is right near a gang hot spot and I'm running to and from there tonight.  I'm trying not to worry but I'm still a little anxious, especially tonight because of the racial unrest that's going on as a result of the Ferguson decision.

Do the male Manatees ever think/worry about random attacksf?

2014-11-25 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I run alone too and often by a park where I had an icky encounter with a guy one time.  I never wear headphones except when I'm on the drainer.  I'd feel a lot safer if I could run with my dog but he pulls too much.  I too try to stay really aware, but I evidently don't always do that.  When I was running up a hill in Breckenridge, I ran right past 3 moose and didn't see them!!

I have a coworker who runs with pepper spray.  She has a little elastic thingie that holds it on her hand so she doesn't even need to grip it at all; it's just right there.  I've thought about getting one but haven't.  I mostly run at night and on neighborhood streets except for my long runs and I've honestly been more concerned about getting hit by a car.  I've been obsessing about getting lights and reflective stuff.  So many things to consider.  I really try not to get freaked out by the risks I take for my training, but it's hard sometimes.  I guess there's only so cautious I can be without getting paralyzed.  Ugh.

We also have a lot of gang activity in our area.  Most of the casualties are people who know their attackers but there's the occasional random bystander who gets shot.  My rec center is right near a gang hot spot and I'm running to and from there tonight.  I'm trying not to worry but I'm still a little anxious, especially tonight because of the racial unrest that's going on as a result of the Ferguson decision.

Hmm, in my job ( like TJ), I see people doing horrible things to each other all the time. You'd think I'd be more concerned or worried about running alone, but I'm not. I think I take reasonable precautions and run in areas that are "nice". That said, I know bad things can and do happen everywhere. A month or two ago we had a car cruising the area my running group does it's work outs. Lots of us on the road and still we got a creeper. One of the women snapped a picture of the license plate and I have it to one of my intel guys. Turns out the owner was a bona fide creeper. I had under cover people out watching the group for a few weeks to make sure nothing happened. Luckily, the creeper never came back.

Mary, as far as your run tonight, perhaps you should chose a different route tonight.

2014-11-25 12:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

This whole discussion is unfortunate, at best. It saddens me to think that people feel uncomfortable doing simple outdoor activities. I am in a very safe neighborhood, and I run in the predawn morning, which is probably the least likely time (in my mind anyway) to be in a precarious situation. My only real fears are the paper delivery guy in his fast moving pick-up truck and animals that I spook when I run by. So, I wear a headlamp/blinking rear light for the paper guy. And try to stay as alert as possible to what is going on around me. But none of that will help in the event of a skunk, which I have come across in the past. 

I do listen to music on about 50% of my runs.

ETA: I just read Ann-Marie's post and now am not as comfortable in the predawn. But I do agree with her advice for Mary.

Edited by cdban66 2014-11-25 1:02 PM
2014-11-25 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

This whole discussion is unfortunate, at best. It saddens me to think that people feel uncomfortable doing simple outdoor activities. I am in a very safe neighborhood, and I run in the predawn morning, which is probably the least likely time (in my mind anyway) to be in a precarious situation. My only real fears are the paper delivery guy in his fast moving pick-up truck and animals that I spook when I run by. So, I wear a headlamp/blinking rear light for the paper guy. And try to stay as alert as possible to what is going on around me. But none of that will help in the event of a skunk, which I have come across in the past. 

ETA: I just read Ann-Marie's post and now am not as comfortable in the predawn. But I do agree with her advice for Mary.

Haha, lucky for you most creepers don't do their creeping to big men!!

2014-11-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Haha, lucky for you most creepers don't do their creeping to big men!!

Yeah, I figure 6'3" keeps me in a "safer" demographic. But that is not always true either, so precaution and care come into play as well. As it should for all of us to a certain degree. 

2014-11-25 1:13 PM

User image

Seattle

Dude...I was at a gay (mostly men) club,  where 50% of them are dressed better than myself and the other 50% are in women's clothes dressed better than myself, surrounded by 12 of my friends.

Ok, most of that was a joke but my point is that things can happen anywhere. 

And although I am expressing my struggles with it all, mostly we can just be aware and cautious and keep doing what we love. The rest of the stuff -life- is unpredictable. 

2014-11-25 1:16 PM

User image

Seattle

Hmm, in my job ( like TJ), I see people doing horrible things to each other all the time. You'd think I'd be more concerned or worried about running alone, but I'm not. I think I take reasonable precautions and run in areas that are "nice". That said, I know bad things can and do happen everywhere. A month or two ago we had a car cruising the area my running group does it's work outs. Lots of us on the road and still we got a creeper. One of the women snapped a picture of the license plate and I have it to one of my intel guys. Turns out the owner was a bona fide creeper. I had under cover people out watching the group for a few weeks to make sure nothing happened. Luckily, the creeper never came back.

Mary, as far as your run tonight, perhaps you should chose a different route tonight.

I need friends in high places

2014-11-25 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

There can be perks to my job! Now if only those perks came with free SBux, it would be great!!
2014-11-25 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Dude...I was at a gay (mostly men) club,  where 50% of them are dressed better than myself and the other 50% are in women's clothes dressed better than myself, surrounded by 12 of my friends.

Ok, most of that was a joke but my point is that things can happen anywhere. 

And although I am expressing my struggles with it all, mostly we can just be aware and cautious and keep doing what we love. The rest of the stuff -life- is unpredictable. 

I get it. 100%. Stuff happens and it often doesn't matter where, who, why, or when. It just happens. But as you stated, we CAN NOT let that stop us. Keep doing what you do.

As a husband and father of 2 girls, well, like a stated earlier, it all saddens me.

2014-11-25 1:51 PM

User image

Seattle

There can be perks to my job! Now if only those perks came with free SBux, it would be great!!

With our powers combined...

2014-11-25 1:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Aspen pulls but I she wears a Halti so it makes the effects on my running minor.

Edited by rrrunner 2014-11-25 1:56 PM
2014-11-25 1:57 PM

Master
Northern IL

Do the male Manatees ever think/worry about random attacks?

It's there, but piled together with lots of things under "stuff that could happen". I'm probably less of a target for some of the same reasons Chris said. Maybe some other things too? Traffic concerns tend to be more pressing than most anything else.

2014-11-25 1:59 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

I had a great weekend!

Hiked in some snow with my friends (furry and human) and got a few fresh turns with my splitboard.

Then had a race on Sunday where I got to race against AND chat with Lauren Fleshman

I mean, she only beat me by like, three and a half minutes. That's not SO bad

But regardless of her professional status, Oiselle was unable to unseat our club as Regional Champions and we won the meet. Woop woop!

CONGRATULATIONS SALTY AND CO!!!

Had thought Adrienne was taller than that.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 62986 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42338 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72760 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50415 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25696 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.