BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-11-25 2:04 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I had a great weekend!

Hiked in some snow with my friends (furry and human) and got a few fresh turns with my splitboard.

Then had a race on Sunday where I got to race against AND chat with Lauren Fleshman

I mean, she only beat me by like, three and a half minutes. That's not SO bad

But regardless of her professional status, Oiselle was unable to unseat our club as Regional Champions and we won the meet. Woop woop!

CONGRATULATIONS SALTY AND CO!!!

Had thought Adrienne was taller than that.

Ha! And I thought she was shorter than that. I'm 5'4 but she must be like 5'10 or something

2014-11-25 2:09 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Thanks for the cheers everyone. We had a good time in Philly. DH rocked the full with a 3:23 finish. However, at home we are in shock. We live in a sleepy little town about 20 minutes away from a highway and Hartford (the capital of CT) and it's always considered a safe place to live. We are in the middle of a rail trail system that runs through our town and north up to MA and South almost to the shore. A trail I run on A LOT both alone and with friends. On Thursday night, a woman and fellow triathlete was stabbed in the chest and died on the trail. Not just on the trail but right in the middle of the most populated, heavily trafficked and well lit section. WTF? http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/11/residents_shocked_ma... Police seem baffled.

Congrats to you and DH for your success in Philly!  Truly sorry to hear your celebration has the dark cloud of the incident on the trail.  Please keep us posted when they find out more information. 

As someone who runs alone 99% of the time, and often on trails, I don't like to hear about such happenings.  Although I'm not naive enough to think it couldn't happen to me, I'd like to think it won't.  I occasionally carry pepper spray with me, but generally just rely on being aware and in tune to my surroundings and try to stay observant and alert, listening and watching.  I know that doesn't guarantee safety, but it's a step in the right direction.  The need to be alert is one of the reasons I'm anti-headphones (not saying the woman in the story did or didn't, I'm not casting any blame here).  I don't want to not do what I enjoy because of fear. 

I'll step off my 'women doing activities alone shouldn't have to fear the world' soapbox now.

Ugh. This whole thing is terrible. In fact, it's  something I've been struggling with since the incident I had. I've been spooked pretty easily while I run. 

I naively thought I was tough, and that I could react and potentially defend myself if anything ever happened. But sometimes there is just 0 time to react. Although I didn't get knocked out, or ever knocked down I was totally paralyzed by the blow. I don't think I quite understood what it would be like to get hit by a man. 

I refuse to let something like this stop me, but I am searching for an appropriate solution. Other than the obvious precautions. I hate running with pepper spray but it might  necessary.

I second Melanie's sentiments in regard to being aware and running without headphones. 

I run alone too and often by a park where I had an icky encounter with a guy one time.  I never wear headphones except when I'm on the drainer.  I'd feel a lot safer if I could run with my dog but he pulls too much.  I too try to stay really aware, but I evidently don't always do that.  When I was running up a hill in Breckenridge, I ran right past 3 moose and didn't see them!!

I have a coworker who runs with pepper spray.  She has a little elastic thingie that holds it on her hand so she doesn't even need to grip it at all; it's just right there.  I've thought about getting one but haven't.  I mostly run at night and on neighborhood streets except for my long runs and I've honestly been more concerned about getting hit by a car.  I've been obsessing about getting lights and reflective stuff.  So many things to consider.  I really try not to get freaked out by the risks I take for my training, but it's hard sometimes.  I guess there's only so cautious I can be without getting paralyzed.  Ugh.

We also have a lot of gang activity in our area.  Most of the casualties are people who know their attackers but there's the occasional random bystander who gets shot.  My rec center is right near a gang hot spot and I'm running to and from there tonight.  I'm trying not to worry but I'm still a little anxious, especially tonight because of the racial unrest that's going on as a result of the Ferguson decision.

Do the male Manatees ever think/worry about random attacksf?

Hmm, in my job ( like TJ), I see people doing horrible things to each other all the time. You'd think I'd be more concerned or worried about running alone, but I'm not. I think I take reasonable precautions and run in areas that are "nice". That said, I know bad things can and do happen everywhere. A month or two ago we had a car cruising the area my running group does it's work outs. Lots of us on the road and still we got a creeper. One of the women snapped a picture of the license plate and I have it to one of my intel guys. Turns out the owner was a bona fide creeper. I had under cover people out watching the group for a few weeks to make sure nothing happened. Luckily, the creeper never came back.

Mary, as far as your run tonight, perhaps you should chose a different route tonight.

I need friends in high places

There can be perks to my job! Now if only those perks came with free SBux, it would be great!!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-11-25 3:39 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Thanks for the cheers everyone. We had a good time in Philly. DH rocked the full with a 3:23 finish. However, at home we are in shock. We live in a sleepy little town about 20 minutes away from a highway and Hartford (the capital of CT) and it's always considered a safe place to live. We are in the middle of a rail trail system that runs through our town and north up to MA and South almost to the shore. A trail I run on A LOT both alone and with friends. On Thursday night, a woman and fellow triathlete was stabbed in the chest and died on the trail. Not just on the trail but right in the middle of the most populated, heavily trafficked and well lit section. WTF? http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/11/residents_shocked_ma... Police seem baffled.

Echoing everyone else; so sorry for this woman's family and that your sense of safety has been shattered.  Please be safe out there everyone.  Being aware of your surroundings is so important; and trust your gut.  If something feels wrong it probably is.  Don't worry about 'being silly'.

2014-11-25 7:53 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by cdban66

This whole discussion is unfortunate, at best. It saddens me to think that people feel uncomfortable doing simple outdoor activities. I am in a very safe neighborhood, and I run in the predawn morning, which is probably the least likely time (in my mind anyway) to be in a precarious situation. My only real fears are the paper delivery guy in his fast moving pick-up truck and animals that I spook when I run by. So, I wear a headlamp/blinking rear light for the paper guy. And try to stay as alert as possible to what is going on around me. But none of that will help in the event of a skunk, which I have come across in the past. 

I do listen to music on about 50% of my runs.

ETA: I just read Ann-Marie's post and now am not as comfortable in the predawn. But I do agree with her advice for Mary.

Dude...I was at a gay (mostly men) club,  where 50% of them are dressed better than myself and the other 50% are in women's clothes dressed better than myself, surrounded by 12 of my friends.

Ok, most of that was a joke but my point is that things can happen anywhere. 

And although I am expressing my struggles with it all, mostly we can just be aware and cautious and keep doing what we love. The rest of the stuff -life- is unpredictable. 

I get it. 100%. Stuff happens and it often doesn't matter where, who, why, or when. It just happens. But as you stated, we CAN NOT let that stop us. Keep doing what you do.

As a husband and father of 2 girls, well, like a stated earlier, it all saddens me.

On the face of it - I agree that we can't let this stop what we do but in reality until they figure out who did this I'm not going to run over there in the dark and alone anymore. I probably will still run in my neighborhood (which is about 4 miles from the stabbing). I don't really know why but running away from the trail and closer to home somehow makes it feel safer. I will also probably skip the ipod for now too.

A lot of the women around here are buddying up to run together instead of alone but so far it's kinda tough finding someone that matches my schedule and pace. I'm still working on it
2014-11-26 1:47 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Elite
Hello Manatees.
2014-11-26 2:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by jobaxas

Hello Manatees.

Hello. I was listening back through some old IMTalk podcasts the other day. Low and behold, who should pop up on the Kona special but our very own Jo the Stalker. You've picked up a bit of an Aussie twang since I last heard your voice. Sounded like you has fun.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2014-11-26 2:05 AM

2014-11-26 2:09 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Unbelievable. No words. Can only hold all those who knew her in my heart.

Truly horrify and so scary!!!  Sending lots of safe and caring thoughts your way.  Please be careful. (((hug)))

Oh Randee I am so very sorry to read this. Thinking of her family and your community. I hope they catch who ever did it very quickly.
2014-11-26 2:19 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Hello Manatees.
Oh Jo it's so good to see you. I was just thinking of you the other day wandering what you are up to. Are you coming over for IMWA for any reason?
2014-11-26 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Dude...I was at a gay (mostly men) club,  where 50% of them are dressed better than myself and the other 50% are in women's clothes dressed better than myself, surrounded by 12 of my friends.

And although I am expressing my struggles with it all, mostly we can just be aware and cautious and keep doing what we love. The rest of the stuff -life- is unpredictable. 

I get it. 100%. Stuff happens and it often doesn't matter where, who, why, or when. It just happens. But as you stated, we CAN NOT let that stop us. Keep doing what you do.

As a husband and father of 2 girls, well, like a stated earlier, it all saddens me.

On the face of it - I agree that we can't let this stop what we do but in reality until they figure out who did this I'm not going to run over there in the dark and alone anymore. I probably will still run in my neighborhood (which is about 4 miles from the stabbing). I don't really know why but running away from the trail and closer to home somehow makes it feel safer. I will also probably skip the ipod for now too. A lot of the women around here are buddying up to run together instead of alone but so far it's kinda tough finding someone that matches my schedule and pace. I'm still working on it

I'm glad you are taking precautions and still doing your thing. We're having a conversation at work right now about this sort of thing. "Awareness" seems to be a standard talking point. 

How many of us send texts or phone call before and after a workout? TW insists on that from me, just so that she'll feel better about my bike riding. I understood her point before this whole discussion and even more so now.

Edited by cdban66 2014-11-26 9:06 AM
2014-11-26 9:55 AM

User image

Denver, CO

On the face of it - I agree that we can't let this stop what we do but in reality until they figure out who did this I'm not going to run over there in the dark and alone anymore. I probably will still run in my neighborhood (which is about 4 miles from the stabbing). I don't really know why but running away from the trail and closer to home somehow makes it feel safer. I will also probably skip the ipod for now too. A lot of the women around here are buddying up to run together instead of alone but so far it's kinda tough finding someone that matches my schedule and pace. I'm still working on it

I'm glad you are taking precautions and still doing your thing. We're having a conversation at work right now about this sort of thing. "Awareness" seems to be a standard talking point. 

How many of us send texts or phone call before and after a workout? TW insists on that from me, just so that she'll feel better about my bike riding. I understood her point before this whole discussion and even more so now.

I don't do that but I do make sure that DH knows when I left, the route I'm going and how long I expect to be gone.  I've also started always taking my phone and I always wear my Road ID.

BTW, last night's run was no problem.  I'm sure it helped that it was cold and super windy so nobody was out.  Not sure I'll go that way during the summer but I'll cross that road (ahem) when I come to it.  Besides, running on the rec center track was super frustrating.  It's 200m and there were 2 groups of kids doing workouts crossways.  I ended up shouting "Excuse me" a bunch of times and feeling like I was totally in the way.  All our high school tracks are closed to the public and I don't have a car on Tuesday nights so I'm going to have to figure out another way to get my track workouts in!

2014-11-26 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I don't do that but I do make sure that DH knows when I left, the route I'm going and how long I expect to be gone.  I've also started always taking my phone and I always wear my Road ID.

BTW, last night's run was no problem.  I'm sure it helped that it was cold and super windy so nobody was out.  Not sure I'll go that way during the summer but I'll cross that road (ahem) when I come to it.  Besides, running on the rec center track was super frustrating.  It's 200m and there were 2 groups of kids doing workouts crossways.  I ended up shouting "Excuse me" a bunch of times and feeling like I was totally in the way.  All our high school tracks are closed to the public and I don't have a car on Tuesday nights so I'm going to have to figure out another way to get my track workouts in!

I am RARELY alone at home. So I let whomever is home know which way I'm going (they know my routes) and how long I expect to be gone. If I run in Santa Fe I let my partner know the same. There have been times she text me when I took longer than expected and the first time I took Sydney out DS2 was getting ready to come look for me because he thought I was gone too long.

2014-11-26 11:17 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by rrrunner

I am RARELY alone at home. So I let whomever is home know which way I'm going (they know my routes) and how long I expect to be gone. If I run in Santa Fe I let my partner know the same. There have been times she text me when I took longer than expected and the first time I took Sydney out DS2 was getting ready to come look for me because he thought I was gone too long.

When DH goes out alone I make him give me an estimated completion time and an "ok to worry time." LOL
"I'll be home by 5. Worry time 6" is representative of the types of emails I get
2014-11-26 11:20 AM

User image

Seattle

It would be pretty challenging as I run 7 days a week, usually twice a day.

For times when I am running in the backcountry I always let someone know where I am. My coworkers know that I run in to work so if I were to be unusually late, they would take action. I think anything else might be unreasonable... I dunno

2014-11-26 11:21 AM

User image

Master

What a sad and scary story, Randee   I hope the investigation is moving forward...the article seemed pretty vague about details. I'm sure family and community are praying for answers and closure.

In reading through lots of comments and questions, I find I'm in a pretty different situation than other Manatees. My SAHM status provides me with a near-constant "safe" training environment. I don't have to run at night, and if it happens that I do, I have the treadmill. I very, very seldom choose to run outside at night. I don't wear ear buds; if I want music, I use the speaker on my phone which is usually turned down enough so I can talk to Mak. I check in with J before/after, and when I was doing marathon training, we sent texts every 30-45min. Plus, I have a training partner on the weekends for long stuff.

Some may think it's silly, but I take my current job seriously. To jeopardize it because I "should" be able to do what I want, when I want without fear is to ignore reality: bad people exist everywhere. I choose to not put myself in situations where I make myself an easy target because I place a higher value on being around to raise my kids than running alone in the dark or in questionable areas.

And, yes, I do think running alone at night is a different jeopardy than mountain biking

p.s. anyone ever keep keys in hand for "weapon"? I read about it years ago and used to keep them handy when I was out at night alone.

2014-11-26 11:49 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

anyone ever keep keys in hand for "weapon"? I read about it years ago and used to keep them handy when I was out at night alone.

I always do that when going to my car at night.  Hadn't thought of doing it while I run.  Good idea.

2014-11-26 11:58 AM

User image

Denver, CO

On a completely different and more upbeat note, tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day for those of us in the States.  What are you thankful for this holiday?  I'll start:

• My health (huge one for me if you couldn't already tell )
  • My wonderful DH
  • My fur kids, who make me smile and feel loved every day
  • My stable job
  • My warm, safe home
  • All the privileges I have because of my race and socio-economic status.
  • That my parents have finally accepted my DH and welcomed him into their home (they didn't for the first 15.5 yrs. we were together)
  • That I found you wonderful group of Manatees, who have accepted and embraced me.  Y'all are the best!!

Hope you have a great holiday!!  (((Hugs))) to you all.

2014-11-26 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I'm not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but here's a story Kayla Montgomery who was diagnosed with MS as a teen.  She then proceeded to run track in high school.  It's a great watch.

Catching Kayla

2014-11-26 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Now that I am Iphone enabled I have a couple of apps that track my progress and actually allow my friends and family to track me in real time on Facebook.   The app is called Runtastic and I have Runtastic's bicycle app that does the same thing on the bike.     Dr.Shortstop insists that I use these.

I have a CC permit.  I have a compact 9mm that I carry when I run and when I bike.   But I never had a problem with anyone I have encountered. I have never drawn it whilst biking or running.   Guess I still look like the biggest baddest Marine in the valley.    Most everyone just says "sir".     I'm not that big.   It must be the way I carry myself.   

Edited by MadMathemagician 2014-11-26 5:30 PM
2014-11-26 5:38 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Now that I am Iphone enabled I have a couple of apps that track my progress and actually allow my friends and family to track me in real time on Facebook.   The app is called Runtastic and I have Runtastic's bicycle app that does the same thing on the bike.     Dr.Shortstop insists that I use these.

I have a CC permit.  I have a compact 9mm that I carry when I run and when I bike.   But I never had a problem with anyone I have encountered. I have never drawn it whilst biking or running.   Guess I still look like the biggest baddest Marine in the valley.    Most everyone just says "sir".     I'm not that big.   It must be the way I carry myself.   

MapMyRun (/Bike /Fitness /etc) does this live tracking as well.  I figure it's useful for those that need it.

2014-11-26 5:39 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Happy thanks giving everyone.
2014-11-26 6:16 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Elite
Originally posted by StaceyK

Hello Manatees.
Oh Jo it's so good to see you. I was just thinking of you the other day wandering what you are up to. Are you coming over for IMWA for any reason?

no I wish i could but just started a new job and already i'm taking two weeks vacation to go to Phuket after christmas.

2014-11-27 5:47 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Thanksgiving!

2014-11-27 5:49 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by jmkizer

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all the thanksgiving celebrating manatees!! The rest of you, have a nice Thursday
2014-11-27 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all the thanksgiving celebrating manatees!! The rest of you, have a nice Thursday
i would like to celebrate thanksgiving, I like the concept of it. It seems to be a far more purposeful reason to celebrate than some of the other holiday days we have -like the queens birthday.

Oh and what's on your BLACK FRIDAY/CYBER MONDAY shopping list this year?

Edited by StaceyK 2014-11-27 7:18 AM
2014-11-27 7:38 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by StaceyK

Happy Thanksgiving!

i would like to celebrate thanksgiving, I like the concept of it. It seems to be a far more purposeful reason to celebrate than some of the other holiday days we have -like the queens birthday.Oh and what's on your BLACK FRIDAY/CYBER MONDAY shopping list this year?
Yeah, we fought a little war so we wouldn't have to celebrate her birthday !

I don't have anything on my shopping list - my surgery and new HVAC unit have taken care of that!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63192 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42486 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72911 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50582 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25795 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.