BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-10-29 8:16 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

And go. If you want to know what we're all about, read the first few posts here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=516225&page=1

If you STILL think it's worth bribing us--uh, me--with Pop Tarts to submit yourself to this madness ... you probably deserve what you get

2014-10-29 8:35 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)
Oh, a new thread. I've got nothing to say, except that
2014-10-29 9:14 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Page 1 of a new thread?  Haven't done that is forever!!

2014-10-29 9:31 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Wheeee! Shiny and new! Can we keep it?
2014-10-29 10:12 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Lovely place for here! All shiny and new :-)

2014-10-29 10:16 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
This will be the only time I'm all caught up on previous posts!

2014-10-29 10:22 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Originally posted by mtnbikerchkThis will be the only time I'm all caught up on previous posts!
HA!
2014-10-29 10:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

This will be the only time I'm all caught up on previous posts!
yep me two.

Crazy week of after hours meetings this week and a couple more next week too. The problem is that this week entails four meetings of 5+ hour presentations of the same material to various groups. Good stuff but I can see it getting boring. It was gonna be five but Thankfully I managed to get out of one of them.

Yanti so glad that you are all home and I hope you are all starting to recover from your trip. Are you still planning on coming to WA or has that been delayed now?

Edited by StaceyK 2014-10-29 10:43 AM
2014-10-29 10:36 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando
I'm working from home as painters paint the interior of my house. Is it bad when you don't think you like the colors you picked?! I really should have spent more time deciding what I wanted
2014-10-29 10:54 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723 I'm working from home as painters paint the interior of my house. Is it bad when you don't think you like the colors you picked?! I really should have spent more time deciding what I wanted

Uh oh.  We're getting the exterior of our house done next week.  Hopefully we like it!!

2014-10-29 10:59 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Ann-Marie - hmm, interesting conundrum you've got there with the paint situation...maybe the new colors will grow on you?

Salty - I tried to 'Quote'  to reply to you in the old thread, but it wouldn't let me.  Maybe it knew we had something new going on and was being fickle.  Anyway, in a nutshell my Nov/Dec base looks like this until we start for reals in Jan:

Swim - masters M, W, F

Bike - predominantly Sat & Sun.  Longer on no hockey days, easy 90 min spin at most on hockey days.  Try to get a trainer ride or spin class ride during the week.

Run - as often as possible, 4-6 days a week, 2-3 miles tops at around +1:30 of my 10K pace.

He's very excited that I have a few running races in Nov/Dec so he can gauge progress and also learn where I'm at in general.  The fact that he is excited about coming up with a plan for me makes me feel good and that he'll be a good fit.  My friends LT and JD used him this past year in his full capacity and had trememdously good results and were very pleased with him, so I'm not going into the 'relationship' completely blind.  I was nervous at first, since LT and JD are at the pointy end of the finishers and I am not, but LT assured me he enjoys getting someone like me to the finish line successfully almost more than coaching a fast person to be even faster.

2014-10-29 10:59 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by amd723 I'm working from home as painters paint the interior of my house. Is it bad when you don't think you like the colors you picked?! I really should have spent more time deciding what I wanted

Uh oh.  We're getting the exterior of our house done next week.  Hopefully we like it!!

Haha, I'm sure once it's all done and I get used to it I'll like it. It's just soooo different from what I've had for the last few years!
2014-10-29 11:02 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by melbo55

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Ann-Marie - hmm, interesting conundrum you've got there with the paint situation...maybe the new colors will grow on you?

Salty - I tried to 'Quote'  to reply to you in the old thread, but it wouldn't let me.  Maybe it knew we had something new going on and was being fickle.  Anyway, in a nutshell my Nov/Dec base looks like this until we start for reals in Jan:

Swim - masters M, W, F

Bike - predominantly Sat & Sun.  Longer on no hockey days, easy 90 min spin at most on hockey days.  Try to get a trainer ride or spin class ride during the week.

Run - as often as possible, 4-6 days a week, 2-3 miles tops at around +1:30 of my 10K pace.

He's very excited that I have a few running races in Nov/Dec so he can gauge progress and also learn where I'm at in general.  The fact that he is excited about coming up with a plan for me makes me feel good and that he'll be a good fit.  My friends LT and JD used him this past year in his full capacity and had trememdously good results and were very pleased with him, so I'm not going into the 'relationship' completely blind.  I was nervous at first, since LT and JD are at the pointy end of the finishers and I am not, but LT assured me he enjoys getting someone like me to the finish line successfully almost more than coaching a fast person to be even faster.

Sounds like he is a good fit for you. Yay!
2014-10-29 11:20 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

Haha, I'm sure once it's all done and I get used to it I'll like it. It's just soooo different from what I've had for the last few years!

Maybe the paint fumes will help you get accustomed to it.   When we got new carpet, we were shocked every time we came in the front door for a couple of weeks.  We kept saying, "I didn't know it would be that dark!!"  Now we love it--and it's high time to replace it after only 12 years.

2014-10-29 11:30 AM

User image

Denver, CO

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Swim - masters M, W, F

Agreed.  I'm so excited for you, Melanie!!

I found a coaching group in Fort Collins that also has personalized training plans, including for HM's, available without the coaching.  They work with the Colorado State University tri team and have tons of accreditations.  They also do form/technique analysis, which is something I've been looking for.  I can get a 45% discount on individualized coaching through Team RWB. Maybe I'm just being way too cautious but I'm so scared of getting hurt again.  What do you think, Manatees? Should I just trust my ability to know my body and go about this in what seems to me to be a reasonable way or should I pursue individual coaching and/or a personalized training plan?

2014-10-29 11:37 AM

User image

Seattle

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Swim - masters M, W, F

This sounds fantastic!

I love the idea of emphasizing frequency right now with the running. I would even encourage you to make a 6-7 day a week goal, knowing that it might not always happen. 

I'm being lazy, but what are the distances of your upcoming running races?

2014-10-29 12:22 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

We're having some troubles deciding what to do with the outside of the house!!  So far almost everything we've seen is just kind of brown and blah and just blends together.  It scares me that we might have "THAT" house on the block, but at the same time, I don't care!  I don't want a blah, boring house!  

2014-10-29 12:27 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Swim - masters M, W, F

I found a coaching group in Fort Collins that also has personalized training plans, including for HM's, available without the coaching.  They work with the Colorado State University tri team and have tons of accreditations.  They also do form/technique analysis, which is something I've been looking for.  I can get a 45% discount on individualized coaching through Team RWB. Maybe I'm just being way too cautious but I'm so scared of getting hurt again.  What do you think, Manatees? Should I just trust my ability to know my body and go about this in what seems to me to be a reasonable way or should I pursue individual coaching and/or a personalized training plan?

I've had this debate with myself for a while now... to get a coach or to not get a coach?  

For ME, the issue is that I don't really feel like I'm good/fast enough for a coach, which is silly because why else would I be hiring a coach other than to get better/faster?  

I'll be passing on it for IMTX, mainly because of cost - but who knows for 2016?  

2014-10-29 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Swim - masters M, W, F

Coach.  I started working with one after I dorked up my back to the point that I could not feel my foot anymore.  That wasn't fun.  When they straightened me out I asked what they'd recommend so that I didn't end up back there with them.  They said get a coach.  Having a coach keeps me organized and on track.  It also allows me to schedule my life so if we go out of town, my workouts reflect that.  The other thing that having a coach helps me with is event planning.  Instead of me signing up for races every-other-weekend, we actually build up to them in a logical manner.  I see a lot of people who race but don't train -- no build/train, taper, race, recover just race-recover-taper-race.  As always,  YMMV.

2014-10-29 12:37 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

We're having some troubles deciding what to do with the outside of the house!!  So far almost everything we've seen is just kind of brown and blah and just blends together.  It scares me that we might have "THAT" house on the block, but at the same time, I don't care!  I don't want a blah, boring house!  

You can do a lot with door colors and landscaping and stuff.  It won't be boring!  Tony is on board with the landscaping duties, right?

2014-10-29 12:39 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Asalzwed

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Swim - masters M, W, F

This sounds fantastic!

I love the idea of emphasizing frequency right now with the running. I would even encourage you to make a 6-7 day a week goal, knowing that it might not always happen. 

Nov. 1 - 5K
Nov. 9 - 10K
Nov. 27 - 5K
Dec. 13 - 5 miler

2014-10-29 12:39 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

My house just went from having kind of dark, rich colors on the wall to so light I wonder if there is any color in he paint at all! It looks way lighter the the samples! But, I have a small house, so lighter should make the rooms look larger. Of course, it also means I will have to clean them a lot more. Dirty Gunnar!!

there is a house along my running route that is pepto bismal pink. It looks swell, maybe you should follow that lead

2014-10-29 12:43 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed

FRESH, FUNKY FRESH!

Swim - masters M, W, F

This sounds fantastic!

Nov. 1 - 5K
Nov. 9 - 10K
Nov. 27 - 5K
Dec. 13 - 5 miler

I obviously haven't gotten the rundown of your goals or anything and, as I said, I am excited about the idea of frequency BUT I do question if you are set up best for success in your training runs all being under-distance. Variety is the spice of life, as they say

2014-10-29 12:45 PM

User image

Seattle

My house just went from having kind of dark, rich colors on the wall to so light I wonder if there is any color in he paint at all! It looks way lighter the the samples! But, I have a small house, so lighter should make the rooms look larger. Of course, it also means I will have to clean them a lot more. Dirty Gunnar!!

there is a house along my running route that is pepto bismal pink. It looks swell, maybe you should follow that lead

I highly recommend anyone who makes a color change should shell out the few bucks and time to paint a square (like 2' x 2') and observe for a week or so. The color WILL change in different light levels/time of day. 

Color is subjective and YOU need to love it. 

2014-10-29 12:46 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Coach. 

Having a coach keeps me organized and on track.  It also allows me to schedule my life so if we go out of town, my workouts reflect that.  The other thing that having a coach helps me with is event planning.  Instead of me signing up for races every-other-weekend, we actually build up to them in a logical manner.  I see a lot of people who race but don't train -- no build/train, taper, race, recover just race-recover-taper-race.  As always,  YMMV.

Exactly this! I had a coach for my first 70.3 and it was really just someone to write weekly training plans and answer questions and point me in the right direction. It was exactly what I needed and it wasn't EXTREMELY hands on so it was totally $$ reasonable. For my first IM I'm stepping it up and going with a local coach with more hand holding etc.

Do what works for you!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 62986 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42342 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72761 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50417 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25697 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.