Life Time Triathlon Series
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 0/599
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/65
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4 am, ate breakfast (banana and a bagel w/ Nutella), filled up my water bottles, headed to the transition area, and set up my gear. Ate a GU 15 min before race time.

I had some high hopes for this race. I spent the previous 12 weeks training hard under the guidance of a friend/coach/pro triathlete. In 2011 I completed this race in just under 5 hrs 13 minutes... was looking for a 4:45 to 4:59 this year.

Sometimes, it just doesn't go your way...
Event warmup:

No significant warm-up... just some body-weight squats and arm rotations before getting in the water.
Swim
  • 32h 05m
  • 2112 yards
  • 1h 31m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Everything started out OK. I made my way up to the front of the line and waited for the start. I decided to sprint to the first bridge and then settle in from there. After the sprint, I just couldn't settle in to anything comfortable. Normally, I enjoy the swim - however, this time it was struggle the whole way. I couldn't wait to get out of the water and start the bike.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

The wet-suit strippers had a little trouble getting my suit off - but, nothing major. Getting to my bike and getting on it went smoothly - but, I knew I was way more tired than I should have been at this point.
Bike
  • 2h 35m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.60 mile/hr
Comments:

The plan my coach had for me was to average about 210 watts for the first 20 miles and then average 215-220 watts for the rest of the ride. However, just like the swim, I was having to put in way too much effort for the results I was getting. I was managing to stay above 190 watts - but it was hard. I knew the perceived effort was too hard - but, backing off would have have surely put me at the finish over the 5 hour mark. So, I persisted, determined to give it all I had. I ate GUs every 20 minutes and drank HEED and water throughout.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

At his point I was exhausted and knew that something wasn't right. My transition activities went smoothly... but, I was tired, and therefore slow.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The plan my coach had for me was to run 8 min/ mile for the first half and then finish the race with what I had had left. It took me about 20 steps before I knew that was not going to happen. I couldn't run more than .05 miles at a time without stopping to walk. My legs and HR were fine... I simply couldn't catch my breath. I experimented with different intervals of walking and running through the first loop... at the end of the first loop (1/2 way) I was "up to" running .15 and walking .10 I started the second loop knowing sub 5 hrs was out of the question. At this point, I just wanted to finish. About a mile later, I started to cough up blood - so, I quit.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked the mile back to transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm convinced I was sick that day.

Event comments:

DNF was a tough pill to swallow. It took me several days to come to terms with it.. I had put in a lot of work to make that day a good one and it was a huge let down to not perform.

Last updated: 2014-10-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
32:05:00 | 2112 yards | 1h 31m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/65
Overall: 43/599
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU T:0
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:35:32 | 56 miles | 21.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/65
Overall: 72/599
Performance: Average
133 Avg HR, 198 Watts NP, 87 RPM Avg Cadence
Wind: Little
Course: Three loop course around the city of Tempe. Frequent turns and turnarounds. Mostly flat with a short section of small uphills and downhills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/65
Overall: 0/599
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat 2 loop course around Tempe Town Lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-10-29 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Life Time Tri Soma

2014-10-30 12:52 PM
in reply to: #5063833

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Life Time Tri Soma

Wow Jay, I'm sorry the day didn't go so well. I'm glad it was nothing more serious though!

Rest up and start looking toward the next goal.

2014-11-03 10:12 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Life Time Tri Soma
Thanks TJ!
I think I'm all better now...

Originally posted by rrrunner

Wow Jay, I'm sorry the day didn't go so well. I'm glad it was nothing more serious though!

Rest up and start looking toward the next goal.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Tri Soma Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Life Time Tri Soma

Started by atcjammo
Views: 1275 Posts: 1

2014-10-23 2:45 PM atcjammo

Life Time Tri Soma

Started by tomspharmacy
Views: 1469 Posts: 4

2014-10-21 12:57 PM runspingirl

Life Time Tri Chicago - Sprint Distance

Started by cloudlover
Views: 1135 Posts: 1

2012-08-26 7:58 PM cloudlover

Life Time Indoor Tri

Started by Tim.amo
Views: 861 Posts: 1

2011-04-12 10:31 AM Tim.amo

Life Time Fitness Indoor Triathlon - My first Tri

Started by Fab
Views: 1473 Posts: 5

2007-03-08 8:56 AM Fab
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.
date : September 4, 2005
author : Michael
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.