Other Resources My Cup of Joe » trade your candy for a toy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-31 10:27 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: trade your candy for a toy?

My daughter has some food issues and we've eliminated a lot of foods from her diet - artificial colors, many preservatives, anything with citric acid and some other stuff. Not the point, just setting the background. For Halloween I told both kids I would make a deal and they could trade me all of their Halloween candy for a special toy. They both jumped on the deal and said they want to do this for Halloween every year, this was the best ever and other best type comments , So now my question.... I really, really loved my Halloween candy as a kid. I'm not so sure I would have traded every piece for a toy!

Would you have taken the trade? Candy or toy?

2014-10-31 10:48 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: trade your candy for a toy?

Originally posted by trigal38

My daughter has some food issues and we've eliminated a lot of foods from her diet - artificial colors, many preservatives, anything with citric acid and some other stuff. Not the point, just setting the background. For Halloween I told both kids I would make a deal and they could trade me all of their Halloween candy for a special toy. They both jumped on the deal and said they want to do this for Halloween every year, this was the best ever and other best type comments , So now my question.... I really, really loved my Halloween candy as a kid. I'm not so sure I would have traded every piece for a toy!

Don't worry, they probably stashed some. 

2014-10-31 11:09 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I don't like candy and never have, unless we're talking really high % cocoa dark chocolate. I was known in preschool as the kid who threw M and M's--they were given as rewards and treats but I thought they were the most disgusting thing ever invented and probably some kind of medicine! There's clearly something wrong with my taste buds--anything that's attractively sweet to most people tastes disgusting to me (the way something that's too spicy or salty would to others), plus most artificial colors taste extremely bitter. I'm a supertaster or something for sugar and coloring, the way some people hate the taste of vegetables. I still have major issues with gu--can get down about three flavors without gagging, for the same reason.

So I would have traded for the toy, hands down. My dad always ate my candy, and gave me something in exchange--a dark chocolate bar or book or goofy socks. Wondering if you (or hubby) get the candy?!
2014-11-01 5:37 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner I don't like candy and never have, unless we're talking really high % cocoa dark chocolate. I was known in preschool as the kid who threw M and M's--they were given as rewards and treats but I thought they were the most disgusting thing ever invented and probably some kind of medicine! There's clearly something wrong with my taste buds--anything that's attractively sweet to most people tastes disgusting to me (the way something that's too spicy or salty would to others), plus most artificial colors taste extremely bitter. I'm a supertaster or something for sugar and coloring, the way some people hate the taste of vegetables. I still have major issues with gu--can get down about three flavors without gagging, for the same reason. So I would have traded for the toy, hands down. My dad always ate my candy, and gave me something in exchange--a dark chocolate bar or book or goofy socks. Wondering if you (or hubby) get the candy?!

Wow that is really interesting! Consider yourself lucky to not have to battle a sweet tooth. I can't stand gu either but I like my chocolate .

No, we did not eat the candy either. The whole trying to set a good example, if it's not good for you then it's not for us idea. My son had a friend over for trick or treating so both of my kids gave all the candy to him. But they only went to 5 houses then wanted to come home and play with their new toys so they didn't even have very much! Found out later when the friends Mom came to pick him up that he just started taking Ritalin this week - I don't think he needed the candy either!

2014-11-01 5:42 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Left Brain

Don't worry, they probably stashed some. 

Ha - I know I would have!

2014-11-01 7:40 AM

User image

Elite

Up till last year we did something similar...but it wasn't for "all" their candy.
We're pretty fortunate in that they aren't candy hounds. They're more like candy squirrels. (insert Homer Simpson voice, with Homer drooling, dreaming about eating squirrels made of candy)
They horde the candy, and periodically over the next 6 to 9 months they'll trade and/or share it with each other.

Okay, now back to me writing my angry letter to the evil genius intent on making me contract diabesity...
"Dear Mr. or Mrs. Inventor of Peanut Butter Snickers, I hate you......"

2014-11-02 9:46 AM
in reply to: #5064470

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
My parents used to offer us money to not go trick-or-treating. We lived in the country and us going involved them driving us around, so they bought us a little candy and gave us a little spending money to avoid the whole thing. We got to do the costume thing at our school and other activity's parties, so we didn't miss out on that part of the fun.
2014-11-03 12:33 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

For me, it would be all about the value proposition.  If the toy was significant, then for sure, but if it was a minor toy then I'd probably stick with the candy. 

I know there are a few Dentist offices in town that buy kids' candy on Halloween.  I'm sure it's as much a marketing gimmick as it is to help kids out, but it is kind of cool. We have always just let our kids load up on sugar and get a kick out of watching them sugar binge for the week after and left it at that.  Heck, my wife and I would even make sure we bought plenty of extra candy that just so happened to be "our favorite kinds" so we could have our own little Halloween.  "Darn, looks like we bought too much"  lol

We don't typically have candy around the house outside of Halloween, so it's a fun treat for everyone and the kids have all been very healthy the rest of the year.  I'm sure if one of our kids had health problems then it would be a completely different story.

2014-11-06 11:13 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by tuwood

For me, it would be all about the value proposition.  If the toy was significant, then for sure, but if it was a minor toy then I'd probably stick with the candy. 

I talked about it with my son today and he turned into a negotiator that would have made Scott Boras proud. "What kind of toy are we talking about here?"
2014-11-06 2:41 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Bronze member
We did the same thing this year! Well, sort of. My daughter is 4 1/2. We told her that if she wanted to, she could pick her favorite 10 pieces to keep and leave the rest for the Halloween fairy, who would bring her a toy in exchange. She went for it and it's great for everyone to not have that candy around (my husband took it to work).
2014-11-06 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I'm not a chocolate lover and never have been so I ended up giving all of my candy to my brother in exchange for... well, pretty much nothing as he never followed through on any of the promises he made me, the meanie!  

2014-11-20 3:55 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I'm not a chocolate lover and never have been so I ended up giving all of my candy to my brother in exchange for... well, pretty much nothing as he never followed through on any of the promises he made me, the meanie!  

Do you like tootsie rolls?

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » trade your candy for a toy? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kids refuse to raise money by selling candies Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Denise2003
Views: 1998 Posts: 53

2006-02-13 6:11 PM lynda

Halloween candy Pages: 1 2

Started by CindyK
Views: 1616 Posts: 38

2005-11-07 5:00 PM CitySky

POLL: Catcalls for athletic eye candy Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2108 Posts: 39

2005-07-08 7:16 PM Lucy

Catcalls for athletic eye candy

Started by Renee
Views: 770 Posts: 5

2005-06-22 1:38 PM clflgrl

What to do with leftover Halloween Candy???

Started by TypeA Girl Pilot
Views: 1380 Posts: 23

2004-11-01 5:12 PM BigBoy