Wrightsville, Pennsylvania
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 31m 27s
Overall Rank = 111/221
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 11/25
Pre-race routine:

Friday night I packed all sorts of extra clothes depending on the weather, some extra options in case of rain, and dry clothes for the same reason.

Race morning, Saturday, I got up, took care of the dogs, dressed, ate a banana English muffin with PB, drank some iced tea, and patiently waited for DH to get ready, too. This is his first race ever!
Event warmup:

Scored a parking spot right outside of the school which was great! Went in to pick up our bibs and shirts, then went back to the car drop the shirts off. I kept my wind/rain jacket on even though it wasn't raining and had a light shirt underneath along with my cold weather tights and Swiftwick pursuit socks (I love them so!)

DH and I did a very light jog around the school to get things moving and loosened up. He's not a fan of slow running, so he walked part of the time. I met up with my friend KH and her husband MH. KH was running and MH was planning on doing the race with their daughter (20-something) and grandson (5). Chatted with them inside the warm school and did some stretching, then headed out to the starting line and stretched a little more.
Run
  • 31m 27s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 17s  min/km
Comments:

DH had a goal of maintaining 10 minute miles, so we tried to stay in that range throughout, with the exception being the downhill at the start where we just stayed comfortable (and it ended up being around 8:30 +/- on the hill).

I think he was enjoying running over a bridge he's only ever driven over or kayaked under. We both looked around some at the river while running, watching birds; there were flocks of geese and ducks flying low over the water, and we saw a great blue heron, too. We were looking around but also being mindful of the metal expansion joints of the bridge which were wet and slippery from the overnight rain. The colorful autumn leaves were still clinging to some of the trees, so it was pretty despite the cloudy day.

We stayed together the whole way, but I told him not to wait on me going up the hill because I knew my VCD would kick in and make it tough for me to breathe and keep up. He took off, and I kept plugging away and even passed some people. We ended up finishing 19 seconds apart with only one person between us.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe try to give a little extra on the hill, but not necessarily. I gave it a decent effort.
Post race
Warm down:

Congratulated DH on his very successful first race! Ate an orange slice, drank some water and Gatorade, walked around until I could breathe properly again. We went to the car to put non-sweaty clothes on, then headed back to the finish line to watch KH's grandson finish. After that, we went into the gym to watch awards and try to win door prizes. KH won a door prize but no one else did. MH made a little joke to me about not falling during the race, referencing my spectacular, stitch-requiring tumble at a trail run we did together a few months ago. He's a brat!

Post-post-race: went to John Wright's for breakfast and had a celebratory Bloody Mary while continuing to be treated to views of the glorious river as we ate. We saw a bald eagle, too, which completely made my day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm still carrying excess weight, and my VCD limits strong uphill efforts, so I need to keep working on both things. But really, overall, I was happy with this race.

Event comments:

For such a small race, these guys do it right. Plenty of volunteers, plenty of signage at the gym notifying where restrooms and registration are. Sufficient volunteers on the course, too.

Last updated: 2014-09-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:27 | 05 kms | 06m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 11/25
Overall: 111/221
Performance: Good
Course: Fall Flash boasts a unique 5k course. It begins in Wrightsville at 3rd and Hellam Streets. Participants cross the scenic Veterans Memorial Bridge for 1.5 miles, looping around Second Street on the Columbia side, and return to finish at the starting point. The road is closed to vehicular traffic throughout the run. The course starts downhill, leads to a flat area over the bridge and back, and finishes with an incline.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-11-03 11:28 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: MAG 5K Fall Flash

2014-11-03 12:29 PM
in reply to: #5064913

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: MAG 5K Fall Flash

Congratulations to both you and your husband!  Sounds like this was a fun race with the added post-race bonus of breakfast and a bald eagle sighting 

2014-11-03 12:43 PM
in reply to: #5064913

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Great race and great RR!!!!!!!!! It's nice when you can enjoy the scenery of a race. Bloody Mary's after are good too!!!

Awesome that you got to run it with DH. Racing with family and friends is the best!

2014-11-03 1:16 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Awwwwww so cool you got your husband to do this with you! Does he want to do another?

Good lookin' out on those expansion joints. I saw  no less than 6 people eat it on metal grates on the sidewalk on Friday. 

2014-11-03 2:37 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I'm envious you got to run with your H. I tried to get DW into running, lasted all of 2 run/walks. Meh.
Sounds like you ran a smart race.
2014-11-03 4:35 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Pennsylvania

Salty and Darren - yes, he wants to do more races and keep up the running.  It's funny, he keeps thanking me for getting him moving and biking more and running.  I keep telling him it's his doing, not mine.  Last night he tried to give me credit again, and I said, "How many years have I been running or biking or doing triathlons? A lot.  You are the one who finally made the decision to be more active, I didn't make you do it." 

2014-11-04 9:24 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This sounds like a great event!  Really fun and surrounded by friends!  Congrats to both you and Mr. Melanie :-)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MAG 5K Fall Flash Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Scottdale Fall Festival 10K/5K/5K Walk

Started by rologal
Views: 875 Posts: 1

2011-09-17 8:16 PM rologal

Morton Arboretum Fall Color 5k

Started by nuorder
Views: 877 Posts: 2

2005-11-20 10:47 PM BodyCheck

Morton Arboretum Fall Color 5k

Started by bsjracing
Views: 1218 Posts: 1

2005-10-02 11:06 AM bsjracing

2nd Annual Hippo Press 5K - Fall Charity Fest

Started by kstuke
Views: 712 Posts: 3

2005-11-07 1:10 PM kstuke

Fall Fling 5K

Started by Mimir98
Views: 713 Posts: 1

2005-09-19 1:00 PM Mimir98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.