United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 04m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This race was a big deal to me. A large part of why I am a runner is because of this event. My mom was/is a runner, and she got swept up into the world of running during the '80s when it started to gain popularity. I would watch this race with her yearly, and it was a genuine event in our house. She would talk about Bill Rodgers and Alberto Salazar. She had her running diaries lying around the house along with running books written by Jim Fixx. I remember watching the race and thinking that I would one day be there amongst the runners. So when I started running in 2011, almost the first thing I did was apply to the NYC marathon. I didn't get in. For three years I tried, and had no luck. I finally got in with the 3 attempt, 4th time automatic in, which is no longer an entry option.

My pre-race routine was not ideal. First off, I will concede that at times, I am an idiot. This was one of those times. Initially when I had registered I had selected the "no official transportation" option. I had, in my mind, came to the conclusion that I would be parking somewhere off site and there would be these shuttles (again in my mind) that would take you to the starting area, and that this did not fall under "official transportation," which I had thought was mainly for people from NYC who didn't own a car (in my defense, many who live in the city do not own a car).

So a day or two before, in my typical fashion of procrastination, I started to look into how I would get to the race and figure out exactly and where and when I would be going, and discovered that it was drop off only near the race site. So rather than ask my wife to drag me out there, with my two kids who would have to be dragged out of bed really early (in the case of my 8 year old, who loves to sleep, "dragging" would be if it went easy), I read a bit and saw that you can arrange transportation at the expo. I did this. When I got there, I chose the "NJ bus" option from Giants stadium. I asked the volunteer if there were buses back to the stadium, to which he responded "no." While I did think this was odd, I figured that I would just take the train home and my wife would get me from the train station and we would swing by the stadium to get my car.

So race morning arrives. I am up at 3:30 am, super excited about the race, so much so that I literally was dancing to the chimes of my phone alarm as I crossed the room to shut it off. I drink a Gatorade and eat two Nutragrain bars as I double checked my gear to make sure I had everything.

I leave the house early enough to get to the stadium with no issues and no worries. I arrive earlier than most, and am driving around the stadium looking for the buses. I spot them, but something starts to dawn on me. I didn't really want to acknowledge the thought, but I had to when I drove up to a big flashing sign that said "MARATHON BUSES, DROP OFF ONLY, NO PARKING ON SITE."

So naturally, I panic. I start driving around the stadium, probably somewhat erratically. I am looking at the time, and trying to consider my options. I figure my only option is the ditch the car somewhere and hope for the best. So I go to the far side of the stadium, and go way to the back of the lot, figuring that if they will be towing, they will be looking closer to the drop off site. I did pass some security cars and knew they were out there, and that they were probably watching me, so I carefully planned my actions. In a series of rapid movements, I parked, turned off my car/lights, grabbed my gear, opened, locked, then closed my door, then RAN for the shadows of a nearby building. I was trying to be fast so security would not catch and stop me, but in retrospect, I now realize that I could not have made myself look more suspicious. Thankfully, security didn't see me, was napping, or didn't really care.

I was quite a distance from the bus drop off and had to jog to get there. I was not happy about having to tack on the extra mileage to my day of running. Luckily I didn't have to go the whole way. Someone driving around the stadium looking for the drop off saw me and stopped to ask me where the bus drop off was. I asked them if I could jump in, and then proceeded to show them the way. The guy who picked me up was driving his cousin, who flew in from Chile to do the race. I knew this was a world famous race, but just meeting this guy was cool, knowing that he came all the way out here to do it, it just made me more excited about my upcoming day. Figuring I was now safe and would make it to the race, I relaxed and started to enjoy myself.

I ate my staple race morning breakfast on the bus ride over, rice porridge with some meat and egg at exactly 3 hours pre-race.
Event warmup:

I had purchased some warm-up clothes at a local Goodwill last year to use as donation clothes for any cold race start. I proudly displayed my "Newark Public Schools" jacket, and had a decent pair of Nike track pants that I was actually somewhat reluctant to part with. Despite my warm clothes, I still shivered, and tried to find a place to duck out of the intimidating wind. I talked to random people. I met two Irish guys, who didn't come together, and one guy from Amsterdam who flew in just for the race, which again was really cool knowing that people come from all over the world to run this race.

I alternated sitting and waiting on port-o-potty lines and tried to make sure my bladder was empty before we went up to the bridge. I managed to go about 2 minutes before they herded us up to the start. Woo hoo!

Plenty of people were peeing in the corrals off to the side. I did not see any streams coming down from the upper level despite some warnings that I have heard.

I heard the pre-race introductions of the elite men up top as well as the National Anthem. I jumped and stretched a bit in the corral about 5 minutes before the cannon.

The Verrazano loomed before me and I tried to keep my adrenaline levels down so I could save some for later (with absolutely no success). I was a bit disappointed that I wouldn't be running up top, but I got to start in wave 1 in the first corral and was happy for the wide open running room. I queued up my Garmin and counted down the last few moments until BOOM, cannon went off, and so did the runners. I crossed the timing mat and was officially running the NYC Marathon.

Run
  • 3h 04m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

This race was a blur. I wanted to run hard. I had a goal of sub-3 hours and despite knowing I needed a perfect day, and a friendlier course to pull it off, this was my first NYC Marathon and I was pumped and going to go for it. I had a Gu at the start and would do 3 more every 45 minutes.

The start across the Verazzano was EPIC. I probably will not have many racing experiences that rival its intensity and madness. The wind was HOWLING. It felt like I was running alongside a jet engine. Runners were being blown literally a few feet laterally as they ran forward. Hats were flying off, bibs sounded like they were tearing as the flapped wildly in the wind.

My GPS was off. It was reading 7:30/8:00 min/mile pace. I felt like I was running significantly faster, but I wasn't sure, and didn't want to lose too much time. So I probably ran way too hard up the bridge and was at the top and on the way down before I knew it. When I came out from under the bridge at what I thought was a somewhat comfortable cruising speed I saw that I was pacing at a 6:18 min/mi, which was way faster then plan, so I slowed it up.

It was early, but the streets were already lined with spectators right from the start. There was plenty of live music, and the locals were yelling all sorts of funny encouraging comments to the runners as we passed. I wanted to focus on running my tangents and ducking behind other runners to stay out of the wind, but I was distracted and went off to high five any kids I saw. The wind was tame compared to the insanity of the bridge crossing, but it still hit me hard enough to affect my stride when it gusted. It seemed to shift a bit, or perhaps just get channeled through the side streets, so I got hit with what felt like crosswinds from both sides, as well as a periodic solid headwind as I made my way up 4th Ave.

This race flew by, I felt good, and was pacing by 5k shooting for 21:00 per 5k. Before I knew it I was through Brooklyn and coming out of the Williamsburg neighborhood at the 20k mark and all was going good. I was still feeling strong with my last few 5k splits at 20:54, 42:02, 1:03:08, and 1:24:34. I hit the 13.1 mark in Greenpoint at 1:29:18 feeling good still and thought just maybe I could pull it off. It was about there that I saw the Queensboro bridge and just couldn't shake the thought "I have to get all the way up there!"

Just as I got up to the bridge, I heard a steady drumbeat of feet coming up behind me, and before I knew it, the 3 hour pacer pulled up along side of me.

I thought to myself, well this is it. "This is the guy who will take me to the finish line." I hit the 25k mark on the bridge and lost a little time with at 1:46:36, but wasn't worried since I knew I would slow down a bit over the bridge. We came out into Manhattan and probably because I was in a larger group at this point, or maybe just because people love to scream at this point on the course, it got LOUD.

I was with the group, running through the streets of Manhattan. It was absolutely amazing and surreal. It sort of hit me the oddness of it all. That I was running down the middle of the street in one of the worlds most populated cities and there were crowds lining both sides cheering me along. I crossed the 30k mark at 2:07:57. Still on track. I was almost an out-of-body experience at times.

But I got put back in my body pretty quick. This is where things started to deteoriate. I started to feel what I refer to as the "heavy burn" in my legs. This is a strong signal to me that I would not be able to hold my current pace for too much longer. I was forced to drop back at about the 20 mile mark. I also really started to feel every hill and the wind at this point. Especially the wind. I remember turning a corner and it felt like I ran into a wall. The brim of my hat flapped back vertically and it felt like the wind stopped me in the air mid stride.

I tried to keep the pacer in sight, and didn't think he got too far ahead so by mile 22 I dug deep and went to my vault. I recalled all my training miles, all the hard work I put in, all the awesome finishes of the races I have done, and thought about this finish and about I could cross sub-3 and add to the awesomeness of one of the most amazing races of my life. I figured I would need to run a low 6 min/mile pace to catch up and finish sub 3 for the next four miles. I mentioned early on in this race report, and I'm not sure how many actually have read this far, but I can be an idiot at times. This instance was no exception. I gritted my teeth, told myself it was time to go. I probably made it 100 meters before I thought someone kicked in the back of my leg. I looked around and saw no one, then realized that my calf had cramped HARD.

I knew my dreams of sub-3 were done at this point and went into salvage mode. Instead if gaining the 2 minutes or so I would need to get to the finish, I probably lost another two. I adjusted my stride, and shuffled as fast as I could to the finish.

I awkwardly ran down that last famous last stretch of Central park out of the last turn and crossed the finish line attaining one of my lifetime goals. I ran the NYC marathon.

What would you do differently?:

I did not train ideally for this race. I raced IMMT in August, and after recovering from that, I had a very truncated marathon plan. On top of that I was dealing with a chronic injury for the last month that had to shut my training down for the last 3.5 weeks for an long easy taper.

I executed my race plan well, but I did not have the fitness to meet my time goal with the conditions of the day. I averaged in the 50s mpw range in my peak, and had I been able to get up into the 70s or 80s range I feel that I wouldn't have fallen apart in the end.

I am still happy with my performance. I ran within my ability. I also BQ'd with 5+ minutes under qualifying (barely).

Post race
Warm down:

I collected my medal and hobbled through the endless finishers chute, and after the third volunteer asked me if I was alright, I decided to head into the medical tent. I warmed up. I had some hot cocoa and bullion and got a massage for my calf which was still spasming out of control.

I got my bag and continued my shuffle out of the park and down to Columbus Circle to take the subway to Penn Station and catch a train home. (As a side note, my wife and sister found my car at Giants stadium despite the most vague description of where it was).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Less than ideal training and some injuries prior to the race.

Event comments:

I will do this race again. It was everything I thought it would be. With the new qualification standards, my goal is to come back when I qualify. I'm registered and will train for the Boston Marathon and try to meet my Sub-3 goal there.

Last updated: 2014-11-04 12:00 AM
Running
03:04:53 | 26.2 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Staten Island start. Verrazano crossing. Up 4th Ave and through Brooklyn's neighborhoods. Some long, low grade hills along the way. Up to Queens. Across the Queensboro Bridge into Manhattan. Up First Ave, with again some low grade long up and down hills and into East Harlem. Across the Willis Avenue Bridge into the Bronx, and back across the Madison Avenue Bridge into Manhattan. Along 5th ave with an unfriendly hill just before running into the Central Park. Up and down the hills of Central Park, across Central Park South, through Columbus Circle and back up to the finish!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-11-04 10:24 AM

Subject: NYC Marathon

2014-11-04 12:06 PM
in reply to: #5065221

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: NYC Marathon
Congrats on finishing your first NYC Marathon. It was a brutally cold and windy day and you put down a fantastic time. Had it not been so windy out I'm pretty sure you would've hit your goal. You are absolutely correct about being stopped in mid stride. I got hit with plenty of wind gusts like that as well. Congrats as well on your BQ. Same deal for me I did IMMT and was not able to train the way I would have liked as well and didn't put in anywhere near the mileage you put in. You put some serious run mileage even with the IM. I do remember you saying you were running an awful lot in the IMMT forum now I understand why. Awesome job and you are right this was my first NYC marathon as well and it was just an amazing experience.
2014-11-10 11:54 AM
in reply to: #5065221

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good report and congrats on a great race. Now that distraction is out of the way, you can get back to focusing on streaking.
2014-11-10 1:40 PM
in reply to: mrheathen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Awesome race, awesome report, great job! Marathons are no joke but you sound like you still really enjoyed the experience despite crazy weather, despite a cramping calf! Congrats on your BQ! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NYC Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NYC Marathon

Started by t-royboy
Views: 1131 Posts: 2

2011-11-26 3:23 PM oriolepwr

NYC Marathon

Started by Healthyrunner
Views: 860 Posts: 1

2010-04-29 5:40 PM Healthyrunner

NYC Marathon

Started by Tri-rat666
Views: 1305 Posts: 1

2007-11-26 1:22 PM Tri-rat666

NYC Marathon 2004

Started by jerry
Views: 1028 Posts: 1

2004-12-13 10:19 PM jerry

2004 ING NYC Marathon

Started by jmc1888
Views: 958 Posts: 6

2004-11-11 8:57 PM scuba-punk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : October 10, 2004
author : Team BT
The ONLY way to compete in my first triathlon was to do it on my BMX. I’m no professional—nor do I aspire to be one, I just want to be fit and healthy.

date : October 3, 2004
author : adumey
One of my fears, besides the radioactive material content of the Hudson River, was the water temperature. I found the water was much warmer as I inched closer to the holding dock.