General Discussion Race Reports! » Hard Rock Cafe Nashville Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hard Rock Cafe Nashville Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nashville, Tennessee
United States
I Run for the Party Event Management
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m
Overall Rank = 209/1199
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 7/32
Run
  • 1h 53m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

My last long run was 12 miles a week out at 8:43 pace. I thought I could hold that pace or maybe get down to the upper 8:20s for the race. I was a bit worried about getting too aggressive early since the first 1.4 miles are a steady climb. I held 8:39 for the first mile and started gaining back some time on the next few miles where the course flattened out and dropped back down toward downtown. I remember seeing the 4 mile marker and thinking I might have burned a couple of matches trying to get back closer to a 1:50 HM pace. Mile 5 was slow at 8:40 since it involved a climb but I started ticking off miles between 8:24-8:34 up to mile 11. At about 11.5, I hit the wall and slowed down to a walk in order to take a gel. I picked it back up again but I knew climbing the Woodland Street bridge was going to hurt. Last year I had to walk for a bit on the bridge but I vowed not to do that this year. I made the climb without stopping and kept climbing for a couple more blocks (maxing out my HR at the apex of the climb). From there, it was a half mile of downhill/flat terrain to the finish and I pushed as hard as I could to the finish (average 7:24 split for the last half mile).
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was thrilled with my performance...it was 6 minutes faster than last year and a PR for me. I could have gone a bit easier in the early miles but I was chasing 1:50 and I knew I had to be aggressive. My Garmin showed I ran 13.27 miles for an average pace of 8:31...still not fast enough to break 1:50 but I think I would have a decent chance on a flatter course. I loosely followed Hal Higdon's intermediate plan which had the longest run at 12 miles...I probably need more volume to be able to hold the low 8 min pace needed to get under 1:50.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it out a bit. I was spent. Once I caught my breath I got a banana and something to drink and found some friends to see how their race went.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably more volume. I was only running low to mid 20 mile weeks leading up to the race

Last updated: 2014-11-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:00 | 13.1 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/32
Overall: 209/1199
Performance: Good
Course: The start/finish line was at the Hard Rock Cafe downtown near the river. The course went uphill and to the west of town toward Belmont U. before heading back toward downtown and the Gulch area. The course circled downtown to the north side before heading up to the Woodland Street bridge, over the Cumberland River and by the Tennessee Titans Stadium (6 mile mark). The route then followed the Shelby Greenway 2.5 miles out and back alongside the river. The last portion of the course included crossing back over the Woodland Street bridge into downtown with a finish straight down lower Broadway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-11-10 5:36 PM

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: Hard Rock Cafe Nashville Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hard Rock Cafe Nashville Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hard Rock Cafe Nashville Half Marathon

Started by JoelO
Views: 1047 Posts: 1

2013-11-11 3:11 PM JoelO

Nashville Half Marathon

Started by morsebj
Views: 682 Posts: 1

2012-11-12 2:31 PM morsebj

Nashville Half Marathon

Started by dm26tg1
Views: 799 Posts: 1

2010-11-15 11:05 AM dm26tg1

Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon

Started by kpar
Views: 2363 Posts: 12

2006-12-12 7:44 PM kpar

Team Nashville Half Marathon

Started by crusty
Views: 994 Posts: 2

2006-11-06 2:15 PM trigods
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : February 23, 2010
comments : 1
Can I do extra running miles for my two half marathons while starting a half Ironman training program?
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.