General Discussion Triathlon Talk » N0ob Swimmer Here! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-16 10:25 AM

Subject: N0ob Swimmer Here!
Hey y'all. I just finished up a 9 minute and 20 second swim... it was a rough 9 minutes and 20 seconds. I calculated that I swam 280 yards in that time, and I paused my watch about every two laps (1 lap is 28 yards at my gym, so every 54 yards), to take a breather. I wasn't dying, but I was certainly pretty drained (I've never actually swam before, besides lessons when I was a kid). I realize that this distance in this time is pretty bad. Anyway...

1) How can I get faster, and/or complete laps continuously without stopping? I would also like to be able to swim for more than 9 minutes. How do I do that? Any training plans y'all would recommend?

2) When I got out of the pool, and into the locker room, I felt like I was burning up. Like, I felt so hot. Is this normal? The pool I swim in is kept pretty warm (80 degrees). I didn't feel this in the pool, but afterwards I did. Is this normal or am I a total freak of nature?

3) I'm pretty decent with the bike endurance wise, and same with running, as running's my primary sport (I'm taking up biking and swimming because I have a calf strain, and want to keep my fitness up; prior to the injury, I was doing 40 mile weeks). Is it normal to be so weak with one sport and be good at the others?

Thank you so much!!

Edited by Charlatte987 2014-11-16 10:29 AM

2014-11-16 10:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: N0ob Swimmer Here!

Originally posted by Charlatte9871) How can I get faster, and/or complete laps continuously without stopping? I would also like to be able to swim for more than 9 minutes. How do I do that? Any training plans y'all would recommend?

Swimming is very different from running and cycling because it is very technique oriented.  You can swim more and you'll have better swim fitness and your times will improve but ultimately technique will be the limiter in getting appreciably faster.

My suggestion would be to get some swim lessons.  My second piece of advice is to get those lessons from someone who teaches children how to swim.  A lot of adult/masters swim coaches have trouble conveying their message to newbie adult swimmers.  Kids coaches do a way better job of dumbing down the basics so those "A-ha" moments come sooner.  Just my $.02.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2014-11-16 10:46 AM
2014-11-16 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Chiming in because it was not long ago that I was in your shoes! I started swimming after knee surgery to stay fit, and those first workouts were slow and exhausting.

Absolutely agree on the lessons to get your technique shaped up and learn a few drills to work into your own solo practices. You will get a better workout once you can go longer and not tire yourself out.

Try taking a cool or tepid shower after the workout. It takes me at least 15 minutes to cool off after swimming, so I think that is pretty normal.

And finally, don't worry about being slow! You will naturally speed up as your technique improves. Even if you are the last racer out of the water last, it just means you will be able to pass more people on the bike leg.

Edited by melanfi 2014-11-16 11:22 AM
2014-11-16 12:40 PM
in reply to: melanfi

User image

Durham, North Carolina
When I first started my breathing was horrible too. I watched the total immersion videos a few times, and tried to implement some of that into my swimming. I should have done a better job of following all of the steps, but I can breathe no problem while swimming now. I definitely agree with the lessons, but if you cannot afford them or don't have the time for them, there are some good options on the web it will just take longer. I think another popular one is swim smooth? on youtube. I could be wrong and hopefully more knowledgeable people will chime in.
2014-11-16 4:11 PM

User image

I think lessons would be a good idea. It sounds like you are using a lot of energy to get across the pool and tiring yourself out-- you'll be able to get the technique down with someone helping you out.

In the meantime- I suspect you might be "running your legs", that is, kicking with bent knees in a running/bicycling motion. This will be a lot of work and actually be counter-productive to your forward movement. To check, lie on your back and kick-- you should move backward (in the direction of your head). If you stay in place, move forwards (toward your feet), and/or your legs sink down, you are running your legs. Your legs should be straight when you kick and most of the movement should be from your hips. Also, think "floppy feet" (non-swimmers have a tendency to lock their ankles, and runners have notoriously stiff ankles).

There is also a lot of technique in the arms that will help, but if you are feeling that winded I suspect you are over-using your legs right now (typical of runners). Also, if you are over-using your legs it might actually be more strain on that injured calf.

Good luck-- I started as a very slow newbie swimmer but with some help I have improved a lot. And my swims are very enjoyable now.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-11-16 4:14 PM
2014-11-16 6:28 PM
in reply to: Charlatte987

User image

Veteran
Great White North
1. As a noob continuous swimming is not a good idea.
2. Get some coaching, join a masters swim team. Technique is very very important (as is swim specific strength).
3. You should be more concerned about how fast you can swin 25, 50 or 100 (metres or yards).

2014-11-16 6:33 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Thank you so much guys!!! I was totally running my legs today. I didn't realize at all to use my hips to kick, and I'm sure that's why my calf was hurting even from a non impact activity, and (part of) the reason it was so difficult! I'll for sure look into lessons, but at the very least, the internet videos and lessons
2014-11-16 10:48 PM

User image

Groton, New York
Two years ago I was in the exact same boat. 2 pool lengths was my limit and I had to stop for a breather. Swimming an olympic distance triathlon seemed impossible, let alone trying to do an ironman distance.

For Christmas my wife got me a 90 minute private lesson with our local Total Immersion swim coach. He video taped myself swimming, and had me video him. He spent much of that time just re-teaching me to swim. I was going about it all wrong. I took that lesson and went to the pool three days a week and worked on those new skills. In about two months time I was swimming non-stop, about an hour and a half in the pool, 170 pool lengths, Ironman swim distance. The most rewarding thing ever! From 2 pool lengths and out of breath, to finding a rhythm that allowed me to swim comfortably for as long as I wanted.

Total Immersion....find a coach, it will be worth every darn penny!!!
2014-11-16 11:07 PM
in reply to: #5067890

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
This was my first season of focused swim training 3 days a week. After 3 months you can certainly notice a difference in your ability and more so if you're doing good technique. I was baffled too that as a runner the endurance did not translate to swimming. Which makes sense to me now since I realize how little my legs do (I have baby kicks for now); and it really exposed how weak my arms are. With practice though the muscles learn the drills. Also, I have the same hot feeling as well. After some of my swim workouts I feel as if I got done with a run; I'm warm and generally I begin to sweat. I'm sure this is happening in the pool but you won't notice it hehe as others have said keep up the practice. What I like to think is to keep my body like a pencil in the water, but whether or not that's what it looks like is another story
2014-11-17 8:11 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome,

It sounds like you're swimming in a 25 meter pool.  You can switch your log preferences to record distance in meters rather than yards and you won't have to do a lot of complicated math.  

Swimming is very much about technique.  Run fitness doesn't translate well, as many runners will verify.  

Get some lessons.  Sign up for some group lessons.  Sign up for private lessons.  Sign up for a Master's swim program.  Learn good technique and only swim long enough to maintain good technique.  Maybe that's only 25 or 50 meters at a time, but it won't stay that way for long.  Trying to swim 500 meters when you're worn out will leave you frustrated and reinforcing bad form that shows up when you are tired.  

Water conducts thermal energy (heat) about 100x faster than air (which is why it is so important to stay dry when you are outside in the cold of winter).  You're working hard in the pool, but don't feel "hot" in the water.  You notice it when you get out and head to the shower (which is often very warm air because people are wet).  

2014-11-17 9:49 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

Nearly everyone here has more experience than I do, but as someone who recently saw huge (relative) gains here is my advice:

Technique is very important, trumped only (in my opinion) with comfortable breathing. Until you learn to relax and be comfortable and breathe properly, you will never swim far and continuous nor will you enjoy it. Once you accomplish this, however, doors open and you can focus your mind on improving technique and speed and feel comfy pushing more. Relax and breathe, repeat until its comfortable....do some short distances and build so you are comfy for 25m, comfy for a few 50s, etc...and soon you will be comfy for whatever continuous distance you want to go.

For me it was reminding myself that the air is always just a headturn away, not worrying about speed, doing some bobs to start out each session, and a lot of trips to the pool.

I'm sure lessons would be a great boost for technique and comfort if you can get them. The idea of joining masters is easy to say and sounds great, but in reality if someone can swim 1 length and needs a break, do they really belong in a program at this point?

Good luck, stick with it, its worth it as you start to see progress I promise.

2014-11-17 10:04 AM
in reply to: ilikepizza

Originally posted by ilikepizza

Nearly everyone here has more experience than I do, but as someone who recently saw huge (relative) gains here is my advice:

Technique is very important, trumped only (in my opinion) with comfortable breathing. Until you learn to relax and be comfortable and breathe properly, you will never swim far and continuous nor will you enjoy it. Once you accomplish this, however, doors open and you can focus your mind on improving technique and speed and feel comfy pushing more. Relax and breathe, repeat until its comfortable....do some short distances and build so you are comfy for 25m, comfy for a few 50s, etc...and soon you will be comfy for whatever continuous distance you want to go.

For me it was reminding myself that the air is always just a headturn away, not worrying about speed, doing some bobs to start out each session, and a lot of trips to the pool.

I'm sure lessons would be a great boost for technique and comfort if you can get them. The idea of joining masters is easy to say and sounds great, but in reality if someone can swim 1 length and needs a break, do they really belong in a program at this point?

Good luck, stick with it, its worth it as you start to see progress I promise.

Not everybody realize it but there is a fear factor when learning to swim. This translates to taking huge breath instead of normal breath and not swimming relaxed. Confidence will come over time. In the mean time, try to rationalize and have some lessons if you can afford it. You probably won't believe all the things you are doing which stops or slows you. You have to feel like you glide. If you feel like you slow down and accelerate then something is wrong.

p.s. have you ever climbed? I know it is unrelated but if you did then you will realize the biggest boost in capabilities comes when you stop being afraid of falling. (usually after the first fall...) I think it is similar when swimming, you realize your fear, rationalize it and then improve much faster.
2014-11-17 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran

x2

Shoot, I see what the masters group workout up on the whiteboard where I swim, and it looks very intimidating to me. I swim anywhere from 1500 to 2500 a workout, but only at my own pace and exclusively freestyle. Those guys and gals are swimming breast/back/freestyle, and they are assigned tempo sets with a given start time.

This is all probably second nature to kids who grew up with swim team. But to the OP, unless you have a very relaxed masters group in your area, just go for the lessons and work on getting comfortable in the pool for now

Edited by melanfi 2014-11-17 10:11 AM
2014-11-17 10:48 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

+1 with a lot of the great advice you've been getting here.

If lessons or Masters isn't an option I would highly recommend youtube to simply see how you're supposed to do things, and then if possible have somebody video you swimming for comparison.

What I discovered with my swim progression was my balance was very poor.  I would keep my head up too high when my face was in the water and when I breathed I'd pick my head up just slightly.  Both of these effects caused my legs to drag lower in the water and made me a LOT slower.  That's just one minor example of things that can effect your speed.  There are dozens of thinks you can do to slow yourself down, through bad technique or balance, and by far the best way to identify (and then fix) them is to have a quality instructor point them out and help.

As you gain more efficiency with improvements in technique the distance you'll be able to swim will drastically improve.

2014-11-17 6:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by melanfi

x2

Shoot, I see what the masters group workout up on the whiteboard where I swim, and it looks very intimidating to me. I swim anywhere from 1500 to 2500 a workout, but only at my own pace and exclusively freestyle. Those guys and gals are swimming breast/back/freestyle, and they are assigned tempo sets with a given start time.

This is all probably second nature to kids who grew up with swim team. But to the OP, unless you have a very relaxed masters group in your area, just go for the lessons and work on getting comfortable in the pool for now

I'm glad someone else said this too.

The masters groups around here range in expectations, but most of the people who join them have had some swimming background. Some ask for a minimum speed of 2:15/100m (our pools are all in metres, that's close to 2:00/100 yards).

That said, we do have some great other adult swimming clinics and lessons for noobies.
2014-11-18 7:21 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Originally posted by melanfi

I'm glad someone else said this too.

The masters groups around here range in expectations, but most of the people who join them have had some swimming background. Some ask for a minimum speed of 2:15/100m (our pools are all in metres, that's close to 2:00/100 yards).

I was in your position 10 months ago, only able to swim one length of the pool without stopping. Some of my friends were in the masters group that swam just before the open lap swim and I asked the coach if I could join. She didn't say no, but she said it would be a very frustrating experience if I joined at that point. She said to work up to 2000 yrds per workout and we could talk. I did that, and just joined the team in October. It is an extremely difficult workout, and I'm the one of the slowest members of the team. I'm glad I waited.

What I did do was take lessons, and it was extremely valuable. It's very hard to diagnose your own technique errors. A set of experienced eyes can really speed up the learning process.

BTW, my four biggest technique errors were head held too high, swimming up hill (dropping legs), and kicking too hard, and not exhaling correctly under water. Once I got a little better body position and transitioned to a 2-beat kick my distances increased rapidly. Check out swimsmooth.com - they have a bunch of video of proper (and improper) swim technique.

Scott

2014-11-19 6:11 AM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

To everybody who has replied, thank you all so much! I cannot thank you enough for the support and advice!

For now, I just dropped a good amount of money on a new road bike. With other expenses, I'm just not in the market for lessons right now. However, I will certainly be watching youtube videos on swimming form religiously haha. I was kicking with my legs, and I don't think I was kicking too much yesterday. I was kicking with my thighs; legs straight, and my ankles were really loose, so I think that's a good start!

I also didn't realize that It isn't a good idea to just be swimming continuously just yet, so i'll be sure to google some beginner swim workouts which focus on shorter distances where I can focus on my form.

I use the pool when it's quiet, and there's usually a kid's instructor teaching a baby how to swim next to me... Hopefully he'll take pitty on me and give me a few tips for free

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!!
2014-11-19 6:49 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WciZerjGoU

The drill about 1:50 in helped me a lot with my breathing. I'm not a pro, but I'm pretty sure you can do them with fins on and it will still be beneficial.

Also I love doing drills with my pull buoy so I can focus on my pull and also feel how my body/hips should be high in the water. I was too lazy to read the other comments so I hope this wasn't redundant :D.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » N0ob Swimmer Here! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimmers help a swimmer

Started by bufit323
Views: 1597 Posts: 10

2010-02-08 5:45 PM mattanderson

OT: Question For Masters Swimmers..

Started by waskelton
Views: 612 Posts: 4

2005-03-10 6:05 PM Alpine87

Beginning swimmer please help =X

Started by Metalmasters2k
Views: 1217 Posts: 15

2005-02-22 1:04 AM Metalmasters2k

Newbie Swimmer

Started by viable
Views: 851 Posts: 9

2004-09-01 6:11 PM Tri Swim Coach

url with video of elite swimmers

Started by infosteward
Views: 1358 Posts: 10

2004-03-10 8:56 AM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of swimmer's shoulder.

date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You will need to practice a couple of things to get those hips to the surface of the water, where they should be. The two drills involve head position and balance.

date : December 5, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
As a novice swimmer I have listed a few things that may help you build your endurance as you approach the water with a sprint race in your future. It can be overwhelming if you are not a fish.
date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.

date : April 3, 2006
author : gsmacleod
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.
date : March 5, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 5
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.

date : March 5, 2006
author : ChiRunning
The three disciplines of triathlon are steeped in rhythm. Think of watching a well-trained swimmer, gliding smoothly down the lane, arms moving like clockwork, breathing every third stoke.