General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman training, 1 swim, 1 ride, 1 run a week. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-22 12:19 AM

Subject: Ironman training, 1 swim, 1 ride, 1 run a week.
I'm experimenting with my training for my 3rd Ironman, each week I'll only swim, ride & run once, that's right, 3 sessions a week. The proviso is, the minimum swim is an hour, ride is 4hrs & the run minimum is 2hrs. All the while, building and fluctuating with the training durations. The plan will be 3 weeks "build/peak," 1 week "recovery," with the light week actually being less than the prescribed minimums, also I'll do a brick session every 3 weeks.
I'm 41, completed four 70.3's and two Ironman's.
I've got 16 weeks of following this until Ironman Melbourne, am I crazy or could I be onto something? Not that this was my idea, though my wife did "buy in," when she heard it was only 3 sessions a week.

2014-11-22 6:15 AM
in reply to: Marcus Bourne

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Ironman training, 1 swim, 1 ride, 1 run a week.

What is the rationale for doing it like this?

2014-11-22 12:08 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

I think you'll be hurting on race day, that's for sure. If you have a strong will, then you can do the race but you won't set any personal records. Although I don't follow this advice... there's research out there that says running more days/week is better than (race performance wise) running the same mileage in less days. I assume the same for the bike. Personally, I'd be worried about no bricks. A 30-60 minute run after my long ride is what helped me the most in improving my run time during a race.
2014-11-22 2:00 PM

A mate of mine feels that age groupers, who have a very high base, ie, have done multiple IM's & 70.3's, overtrain - very general assumption I know, and based on, I assume his own anecdotal evidence - he's also thinking that passive recovery may be more beneficial than 30km/20mile recovery rides or 6km/4mile recovery runs. He suggested his theory to me over dinner and I accepted being a bit of a guinea pig, also my wife wasn't keen for me to do another IM, but gave me her support when hearing of only 3 session a week. It'll be interesting to see how I'm tracking in those 16 weeks of training compared to 12 months prior.
2014-11-22 8:33 PM

Master
Northern IL

What are you expecting to get out of doing this? What are you doing the IM for? Just to get through it, set a PR, qualify for anything, or something else? I'm not exactly very big on this plan in any case. Someone who has a history of being active and past experience with tri (especially long course) might be able to get through the finish line before midnight. Being more gifted wouldn't hurt either. And this hardly sounds like a good plan for even that much. Sounds worse the more aggressive the goals are.

2014-11-23 3:01 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
I'd be very interested in hearing your progress throughout this. I've done one and planning on a second in August next year and could see the benefit of this from a family point of view but I really don't think it would work for me. With all the training it brings an extra focus for me - on overall lifestyle, nutrition, race details, more awareness of my body etc - when I'm not in full training mode all these things tend to slide a little - but again thats just me! Good luck with it!

2014-11-23 3:56 AM

Interesting question, what AM I expecting to get out of this? Well, I do love the challenge of what an Ironman brings, and I love being a part of the day and the build up of it all. I'm not sure what to expect, I guess we're always trying to improve on previous results, so ultimately I guess my goal is to improve on 10.41hrs, that's assuming the conditions are similar or better. If all things are equal on the day and a PB (PR) isn't obtained then so be it. If I did improve my time, could it be the program, or an extra 12 months of building my aerobic base anyway. A case for both could be argued.
My mates training plan intrigued me when he initially suggested it to me, and I thought I'll have a go of doing it this way, so I entered.
By late March next year I'll be able to tell him that this training plan either sucks, is fantastic or kept me at the same fitness. I'm happy to try it out and see what comes from it.
I've always advocated tweaking & re tweaking & re tweaking training plans, this just happens to be a bloody big tweak.
2014-11-23 12:17 PM

Master
, California
Riding aero for 5+ hours is miserable if you don't put in the time to get your back and neck prepared for it. I had very little riding going into IM New Zealand this year. The last 3rd of the bike was a struggle. I was running about 50mi/week so finishing wasn't a problem. But if you want a good race experience at IM distance you have to put in the time.
2014-11-24 4:06 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Is your mate a coach or someone who has experience with coming up with a training plan or just a friend who came up with an idea while having a few beers?  It sounds like a terrible plan to me, especially with your goal being a PR.  If you were looking to see what you could get away with and still finish the race then sure.

2014-11-24 5:47 AM
in reply to: axteraa

He's not a coach, though has been involved in athletics for 25 years, he's the current 800 & 1500 meter National title holder for his age group (Australia) His wife has done three 70.3's and 1 IM and is doing another IM next March, maybe he devised this training plan for her, so she wouldn't be out training as much.
I should know after 8-12 weeks into the program how I'm tracking compared to 12 months ago. At least this training regime has given me the "green light" from my wife to go around again, though she has said this will be my last Ironman. Though I have heard that before.
2014-11-24 8:25 AM

Master
Northern IL

Your friend seems to be misunderstanding the difference between easier workouts and recovery. Workouts don't have to leave one exhausted to be of benefit. Many of them should be well short of this. It's possible to feel better after most of these sessions too, however, that's not the same thing as a recovery workout. A recovery workout is so easy that it provides virtually no training load. The intensity of the 20 mile ride and 4 mile run examples is likely to be similar to the long workouts proposed. So this is still working at an easier aerobic level, just for less time on the shorter workouts. These most certainly add to one's aerobic fitness and take substantially less to recover from than the big ones.

2014-11-24 8:51 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I wish you luck.  But I think this is a dumb plan.  Aside from the race prep reasons (I'd bet you'd be better off doing 7-1hr sessions than your 7hrs in 3 sessions), it appears no easier to me to get spouse "buy in".  It's not the 1hr early am workouts that become 'bothersome' at all.  It's the 4hr+ weekend rides and 2+ hr runs.  It's not one I'll ever be trying, regardless of how things work out for you.  But, again, good luck with it.

2014-11-24 12:43 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Somebody on another forum posted something similar to this and stated that it made for a VERY long day.

They were able to finish the race, but added something like 2.5 hours to their previous experience...and it was far more uncomfortable.

IMO, I think there's a possibility you could get hurt, especially on the run, but if you're going to attempt it, good luck.
2014-11-25 8:01 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
2014-11-26 10:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Why even bother to do an IM at all? Seriously if it is going to cause this many problems in your marrige then perhaps you need to reevaluate your priorities. 

I tend to agree with Johnny K that this is a stupid plan. Let your friend try his plan out on his wife and see how that works out for her. You can pass her on the bike and run and thank yourself for not being a guinea pig for his training ideas. 

There are multiple resources on how to manage training, marriage and work. Time management is key and it can be done with minimal impact to your family.

BTW- Stop asking your wife for permission to race, breathe, exist. Figure out a way to make this work with minimal impact to your family if it is important. 

Edited by Catwoman 2014-11-26 10:07 AM
2014-11-26 11:25 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by Catwoman

Why even bother to do an IM at all? Seriously if it is going to cause this many problems in your marrige then perhaps you need to reevaluate your priorities. 

I tend to agree with Johnny K that this is a stupid plan. Let your friend try his plan out on his wife and see how that works out for her. You can pass her on the bike and run and thank yourself for not being a guinea pig for his training ideas. 

There are multiple resources on how to manage training, marriage and work. Time management is key and it can be done with minimal impact to your family.

BTW- Stop asking your wife for permission to race, breathe, exist. Figure out a way to make this work with minimal impact to your family if it is important. 

Hey, chill on the wife "asking for permission" thing! There has to be a happy medium, I get that. You don't just tell your wife, "I'm doing this regardless of how you feel!" There are prob avenues the OP hasn't pursued, it seems. Work out early, work out during lunch, work out after they've gone to bed...it just depends on what works for you.

You can commit to training for an ironman while minimally impacting family, but you'll have to make some sacrifices. The longer workouts can be split up indoors + outdoors, if need be, or done all indoors. Sure, not THE most optimal, but you can still have good results. To minimally impact family, once again, wake up early on weekend and you can be done by 9AM. Take one of the weekend days off, for rest and family time.

As we've all stated, though, not a good idea to only train 3x a week.

2014-11-26 11:37 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yup, bad plan, long day, your life. Your plan is completely opposite to my life philosophy, no shortcuts. Hope you don't get hurt.
2014-12-19 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
You have no idea what you are doing.
2014-12-19 6:08 PM
in reply to: atasic

User image

Richland, Washington
Originally posted by atasic

You have no idea what you are doing.

1000% agree.

What race are you doing again??? It might be worth the flight out there to watch you race(?).
2014-12-23 10:13 AM
in reply to: #5069159

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
I never understand why people sign up to do IM with plans to basically ignore the training. Is it possible? Sure. You could probably do it in less. Is it smart? Nope. Is it a good idea? I'd guess not. Will you brag to all your friends about how little you train vs them? I'd guess so =). Hopefully you don't get inured which would be my biggest concern

2014-12-23 12:12 PM
in reply to: matcrawf

User image

I'm a running coach who mostly coaches groups looking to run the half marathon distance. If a client/trainee came to me and wanted me to coach them running only one or two days a week, I'd decline. In order to be successful, especially at a long distance endurance event, you need to put in the time. The OP stated his friend claims most age groupers overtrain. Well, that is what recovery weeks and taper weeks are for.

2014-12-25 8:45 PM
in reply to: maddog95835

User image

Veteran
WA
I did an Ironman one year on 2x a week of each...2 one hour swims, one hour bike + one long bike and one hour run + one long run each week. Might have gone to 3 bikes during the peak weeks. Long story short - race day was awful. Started out with huge swells on the swim which I was in no shape to handle. Gutted it out, but barely made the cut offs. Trained right the next year and cut nearly 3 hours off my time and had a much better day. Get up early and get those extra workouts in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman training, 1 swim, 1 ride, 1 run a week. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

long rides and runs for half ironman training?

Started by wstchstrTriathlete
Views: 8029 Posts: 11

2009-12-12 7:07 AM 1stTimeTri

Ironman 9 weeks apart training ideas

Started by Jungle Jenn
Views: 992 Posts: 3

2009-09-29 3:09 PM Superk75

Ironman Kentucky training on 10 hrs a week?

Started by rstocks3
Views: 2625 Posts: 16

2008-07-30 11:21 AM Sparty

52 week Ironman training plan

Started by Itsallgood
Views: 24793 Posts: 11

2007-09-14 10:58 PM suffer78

Training for an Ironman in 23 weeks?

Started by freakingzooming
Views: 1773 Posts: 19

2006-04-04 8:16 PM freakingzooming
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.
date : November 20, 2007
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.