Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Learning to swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-22 1:34 PM

User image

Subject: Learning to swim
Seeing that duathlons (especially long distance races) are slowly but surely becoming a thing of the past I've decided to give this triathlon thingy a try. Only problem is that I can't swim.. or at least not when the water's more then 3 feet deep.

I'll probably just take lessons that are offered in the local community guide starting in January but I was wondering if there were better options out there. Something that offers lessons more than once a week. I'm located near Guelph but I'm willing to travel in or around Toronto if need be.

Thanks..

2014-11-23 12:21 PM
in reply to: naptime

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Learning to swim

Hi! I did the journey to learn to swim several years ago.  I did run of the mill lessons with the city.  It was great in the summer because the adult lessons were 2x a week for 4 weeks.  i think i took like 3 or 4 rounds of the swim lessons and then I felt like the lifeguard instructors couldn't teach me much more.

Once I had some basic skills I started to use the pool at my gym which was not very big and not very deep. And i used the beginner swim plan from this site that was a 3 month plan - i'll look around for the link and used that to get me in the pool consistently.  Consistency and frequency were big factors. 

Guelph has a pretty developed tri community so don't be afraid to ask but eventually one of the best things i did was join a triathlon swim group - kind of like masters but for athletes. this group also does open water swimming which will be something to think about when the weather gets nice next year ... 

Best of luck! 

2014-11-24 10:39 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Here is the beginner swim plan that i used - courtesy Shane who is regular poster in the forums (not in Ontario though)

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=755 

There are 3 months. I found the swims do-able and it often focuses on drills to keep working on form.  

Consistency will be a big part of getting your swim down.

Again, best of luck! 

2014-11-24 3:07 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

That looks like something I might try out down the road. Unfortunately I'm not close to that yet.

I'm scouring the internet looking for swim schools or classes.
2014-11-24 3:18 PM
in reply to: naptime

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

No worries, I wasn't there for a long time but it helped once I'd taken the lesson and built confidence and technique ... 

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Learning to swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OPEN WATER SWIM

Started by tabbs
Views: 2130 Posts: 24

2008-06-10 4:42 PM Invigilator

Windsor: St. Clair Master's swim group

Started by Invigilator
Views: 1352 Posts: 10

2008-06-10 9:30 AM DaveH

Swimming in Lake Ontario?

Started by sbr7
Views: 2068 Posts: 15

2008-06-04 8:12 PM Bopper

Ottawa Swims

Started by jdbscott
Views: 983 Posts: 4

2007-05-07 9:20 PM herridge

Ottawa Swims

Started by jdbscott
Views: 775 Posts: 1

2007-05-03 8:10 PM jdbscott
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 21, 2012
author : sbkass
comments : 8
I am not suggesting that I have turned into Aquaman or have grown gills or that I am a really great swimmer. I am none of those. But I have learned to love the swim.

date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips
date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day

date : December 2, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on open water swimming and four drills to help you better prepare for your event.
date : November 4, 2010
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on swimming tools and how best to use them. Includes pull buoys, kickboards, fins, paddles and snorkels.

date : October 5, 2010
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on the four major parts of the arm stroke in freestyle: Catch, Pull, Finish, & Recovery.
date : September 3, 2010
comments : 1
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on being efficient in the water. Learning how to swim smooth and efficiently is important to becoming a great swimmer.

date : August 2, 2010
comments : 19
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on breathing. Before you can swim fast, you must learn how to control your breathing so that easy swimming does not leave you gasping after one lap.