General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Utah Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-22 2:37 PM

Springville, Utah
Subject: Hello from Utah
Hello everybody, just a little about myself I am 42 and about 65 lbs overweight. I use to be a die hard runner but about 3-4 years ago I damaged my right knee pretty bad at work and was off it for about 9 months I started running again and about after a month I severely sprained my right ankle playing basketball which kept me down for almost a year. Again I started running again and then I hurt my left ankle rock climbing which put me down for about three months. I started running again and last thanksgiving I was playing football and I tore my ACL, MCL, LCL, and meniscus in my left knee. I had surgery and was bed ridding for three months then in rehab for 5 months then I was playing soccer this last September and I re-injured the same knee (minor sprain but enough to re-aggrvate the previous injury). I have now been cleared by the doctor to start exercising again during some of my rehabs over the past few years I grew to love swimming and biking so I want to add them to running and become a triathlete. I do great running and pretty good biking but I am not very good at the swimming and have had a very hard time getting motivated to regularly exercise since I was given clearance.
Does anybody have any good suggestions on books or magazines that will help a beginner with beginning the process of getting ready for triathlons?

Edited by rebelzzz 2014-11-22 2:37 PM

2014-11-22 8:53 PM
in reply to: rebelzzz

User image

Subject: RE: Hello from Utah
Hey. Super stoked you've decided to start training for a triathlon. Remember, you don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great! Starting to swim can be tough in the winter, especially if you're new to it. What works best for me is to plan out my week of workouts so I know what to expect throughout the week. Swimming can be tough in the beginning, but once you start, it becomes easier and the more you stick to the training, the faster you will find you have become. Having someone watch you swim can really help you discover flaws you may have in your technique that are preventing you from becoming a more effective swimmer. If you have any swim specific questions or need some training sets or drills to help you get started feel free to reach out. Smooth swimming!!
2014-11-24 6:08 PM
in reply to: #5069225

Wow! You've overcome a lot of injuries! That's persistence !! Where in Utah are u? I live in Atlanta now but lived in Salt Lake City for 13 years before I moved to Atlanta. I go skiing out there every year and hang out. Love it out there still!! Good luck with the training.

Ironswimming!! I'm a novice swimmer. I grew up swimming and was a surfer as a kid but have never trained in swimming. Any tips or training advice to work on form and technique? One of my weaknesses is how I breath swimming freestyle. After about 8 laps in a 25 yd pool I start to get short of breath. I seem to not be able to get enough air between strokes. Thanks and good luck to both of you guys!!
2014-11-24 7:28 PM
in reply to: Junglejetdrvr

User image

I have tons of tips and advice for swimming on my blog. Check out my profile for a link. If you have specific questions I'd love to help you solve them. As for your breathing there could be a couple issues. You might not be expelling all of your air before you breath in. This leaves less room for new oxygen. You might also need to work on increasing your lung capacity. I have my swimmers do several different hypoxic breathing sets to build how much oxygen they can hold. You could swim a set of 4 x 25 taking 4/3/2/1 breaths per 25. Let me know if you have other questions or shoot me an email. Easy swimming.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Utah Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello from Utah

Started by utahman
Views: 845 Posts: 3

2013-10-21 8:47 PM So Fresh So Clean

Hello hello

Started by malraid
Views: 1498 Posts: 5

2010-12-06 2:18 PM malraid

Hello Hello

Started by mdhunter
Views: 1252 Posts: 2

2009-06-30 6:43 AM wee scotty

hello hello hello....

Started by kinezo
Views: 1567 Posts: 13

2007-04-03 4:12 PM robin314159

Hello, hello!

Started by Little Liz
Views: 1541 Posts: 12

2006-09-30 2:15 PM ironjim
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 10, 2009
author : aklc
comments : 14
I lift my head to sight, thinking I must be pretty close to the first buoy already. My heart sank, I looked back and saw that I had only gone approximately 50 yards. This as going to be tough.