General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Signed up for IM - scared of bike & other things Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-23 2:20 PM

Subject: Signed up for IM - scared of bike & other things
Hi everyone,

just signed up for this amazing forum here

Well, I also "signed" with a friend of mine to train for an Iron-distance race in August next year.

After the initial excitement wears off now, I have to be honest with myself and admit that I'm scared about a few things, but most notably about the bike part.

Here is my situation:

+ Have been running long-distance (35k or so) in the past a couple of times, but no races
+ Reasonably fit at the moment

- Absolutely no triathlon experience
- NO experience with competitive swimming, but OK technique (I was told)
- NO experience with racing road bikes - I know how to bike, but only do it casually.

Most important of all:

I won't be able to do outdoor training on a road bike until approx. 3 months before the Iron event (first I will live in cold Europe, then in hot Asia, then back to Europe end of April). I have the opportunity to train in a bike studio (with real racing bikes) during March/April, but until then it is the Gym bikes.

Don't know why, but I have this fear of road bike crashes. It looks so unstable and unsafe to me, plus all the traffic and cracks in the road etc.
Also I will have only limited time to train outside, just 3 months before the IM.

What do you think, is this doable? Any advice for me?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by summon 2014-11-23 2:22 PM

2014-11-23 2:37 PM
in reply to: summon

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Signed up for IM - scared of bike & other things
which IM ?

I'd say the following...

Don't underestimate the bike and swim, these are both tough distances to deal with. A lot depends on your goals, but even with conservative goals, 112 miles bike and 2.4 miles swim is a LOONG way. Aside from the fact you have a 26.2 mile run to deal with after.

I would suggest getting a hold of a 24 week training plan and look at the progression, you want to make sure you can deal with that sort of volume.

Whether you are on a gym bike, bike trainer, or actual road bike, you'll need to put in the time and effort consistently. I think you can complete the bike training with only the 3 month period on the road, but it has to be a dedicated effort.

Same with the swim. Do you have open water experience ? IM swims are a battle and take some nerves of steel (well iron) to get through.

I would suggest tossing in a Sprint or two to get acquainted with triathlons. Even an Olympic would be a good idea, since the swim is about 1 mile and your bike and run are not too long, but hard enough to give you a test. You'd want to fit the Olympic in the training plan where the distances are at what you have to race.

2014-11-23 2:42 PM

Good luck, not sure why you thought it was a good idea to jump straight into a full distance triathlon with no previous experience and knowledge that you won't be able to prepare properly.

2014-11-23 6:01 PM

User image

Seriously? Why in the hell would you sign up for a race that the largest portion is something you are afraid of doing?
2014-11-23 6:56 PM
in reply to: Tryrn

User image

Groton, New York
I can appreciate the desire to do an IM. I first got exposed to IM Lake Placid a couple of years ago, not knowing what the distances even were. After talking to a few of the athletes taking part in it, I decided I wanted to do it too....but my plan is to do it in a couple of years after I've progressed through the Sprint/Oly/1/2 Iron races and gotten some experience under me. Not sure why you would sign up for a race with these kinds of distances without having any real experience to back it up, but good luck.
2014-11-23 8:10 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

In regards to your fear of traffic, rest assured that in almost any triathlon the traffic control is really good. As for training, find some country roads if you can to get used to being on a real bike for that long. Drafting is also illegal so you wont have to worry about those huge packs of cyclists that you see in the tour de france. For the majority of the race you'll be by yourself. That said, you're nuts for signing up for an IM 9 months out with no tri experience. My advice would be to drop out and leave it for another year, and build your way up

2014-11-23 8:44 PM

It sounds like you are most concerned about bike handling and not necessarily bike fitness. At least that's what I would be most concerned with in your case if I were you. If you do stick with it I would suggest taking time to learn bike handling skills. Try to get in some group rides; that doesn't mean you need to learn to draft but it will get you used to riding around other people. Also practice ridding one handed for bottle hand-up, going slow around corners and simply riding predictably. Maybe even get some time on a mountain bike on some singe track.

If you make it to race day make sure you ride predictably and safe. Be mindful of others around you. There will always be faster riders coming up from behind; especially if it's a multi-loop course. Not to sound mean but it is very frustrating being an experienced cyclist and trying to navigate very inexperienced riders during a race. It would be a bad situation if you took out a much faster cyclist who might be going for a Kona slot because you were weaving on the road while trying to take a drink from your water bottle.
2014-11-23 8:49 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Bike crashes are something to have a healthy fear of-- but you become more confident on the bike the more you ride. You have so little experience which is making you more fearful.

I agree with the other advice about looking at a typical 24-week plan and seeing what kind of progression is expected. You certainly can train mostly indoors (on the bike the winter, but expect to be in the saddle a LOT of hours. And lots of time in the pool. Only a small number of triathletes come to the sport with a competitive swimming background, so don't worry about that. But it would be worth it to join a triathlon club or masters swimming group to get the training time in.

Ideally it would make more sense to start with shorter distances before you sign up for ironman, but you can also do these as you build your training. There are people who sign up for ironman in their first year of triathlon, but I agree with Jamie that it would be better to defer it a year-- after you've learned how to train and gained some confidence.
2014-11-23 9:01 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by ziggie204

Good luck, not sure why you thought it was a good idea to jump straight into a full distance triathlon with no previous experience and knowledge that you won't be able to prepare properly.

I am not quoting this to be snarky but I hope you can understand where we are coming from. I was in triathlons for 5 years before my first IM and had done a half and many sprints & olympic distance races.
Find out when the next race is anywhere near you and sign up for it. Train for it. If you do not love it then defer your IM registration for a year.
The money you spend training and acquiring what you need to train & race an IM is no joke. The initial $800ish dollars is just the beginning.
2014-11-24 1:46 AM
in reply to: 0

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I know it sounds nuts and I don't mean to justify, but here is the background:

It is either this year or no year for me: For the next 9-12 months, I can be very flexible with my work and will have reasonable hours as well. Afterwards, it will be back to a job in which I cannot possibly commit to train even for a marathon, let alone for an IM.

I also took a look at the Be Iron Fit plans and just started (week 2) with the Base phase of the Intermediate Plan. Looking at the volume over time, it seems that I can handle it - at least time-wise. I'll keep the option open to drop down to the "Just Finish" plan.

Intermediate practice races in the process would include Olympic and HIM distance, to get used to it.

My goal would be to just finish the IM in a reasonable shape, within 15 hours or so.

Is that totally unrealistic still? Please give honest feedback.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by summon 2014-11-24 1:49 AM
2014-11-24 6:20 AM

User image

It's not totally unrealistic. There are people who do an Ironman or Iron distance race as their first triathlon.

There are also plenty of people who underestimate the event and don't succeed at it their first try.

So, do your homework. Train appropriately. Work hard. And if you have a chance to get in a single or a few shorter races before the event for a little experience so much the better.

Good luck.

2014-11-24 6:59 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome to BT and the world of multisport.  

The bike crashes you're thinking about where 15 or 20 people all go down in a huge mess is very unlikely in an Ironman race.  Triathlon is an individual effort and the rules prohibit cooperative riding.  To stay within the rules, you cannot ride in a big pack like they do in bike races.  Yes, a crash can occur, and if you go down, the ground hurts, but it won't be with a bunch of other riders (maybe 2 or 3 if people aren't paying attention).  

If you can only ride inside for much of it, go ahead and ride inside.  

Do you already have a bicycle?  If not, spend some time getting a bike that is the right size for you.  It can be either a road bike or a tri bike.  After that, get a bike trainer (you can probably get basic trainers for 100-150 Euros).  I have friends who trained for Ironman Brazil and did all of their riding inside because of outside weather prior to the race.  Yes, they did 6 hour rides on the trainer.  

If you can, get some lessons as you start swimming.  Swimming is about technique, so learning and reinforcing good technique will be much better than learning bad technique and trying to unlearn it with good technique.  

Good luck!  

2014-11-24 7:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Don't even want to start on the advisability of this, or anything else,just a suggestion for training, particularly as it relates to "hot Asia". If you'll be living in these places, as opposed to short trips, any chance you could bring along your bike and trainer? It would be a few hundred extra, but wold give you a chance to put in time in the saddle, at your convenience, on your own bike, with a consistent setup, as opposed to random gym bikes (some are great, many suck for actual cycling training use as opposed to general fitness). Those of us in"hot" (and, more to the point, crowded, crazy traffic) urban Asia usually do a lot of trainer riding. I ride outside a max of once a week, probably average once every two weeks. I'm doing a run focus now, and all my road bike riding has been on the trainer since late July. I've done a HIM and will train for another next spring. There are a few die-hards here who've done a full, often with most of their biking on the trainer. If you want it badly enough, it's doable.

I would also look into getting some open water swim experience. Not sure where in Asia you'll be but Singapore has at least one group (Metasport) with supervised open water training sessions; there are are lots of lifeguards at Sentosa and very calm surf if you're a true OWS amateur and want to get your feet wet (pun intended). There is also a great series of events (Singapore Sprint series) in spring that are very beginner friendly. Check it out if you'll be within flying distance of the city. Several of my friends who were new triathletes got their starts on a few "training trips" to Singapore and in the sprint series.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-11-24 7:20 AM
2014-11-24 1:50 PM

User image

Exton, PA

So you have running experience.

You have run 21 miles a couple times but not in a race ( I ran that distance a couple times and it was easy compared to racing in a marathon)
You have little swimming experience- no racing- and not open water or long distance experience
You have no road bike experience
9 months to get ready for a full Ironman
How old??
Any injury's??
Overweight???
Any health issues??

From what you have said so far I think your best case is finishing in 15 to 17 hours in a lot of pain.

More realistically I think you will get injured in training, on the coarse, or not make a cut off and be done.

2014-11-24 4:55 PM
in reply to: mike761

Thanks a lot guys!

Especially thanks for the Singapore tips - I'm going to live there for two months.

Regarding my stats:

26 yr old male
190cm (6"2), 80 kgs
No injuries, no health issues

Honestly, I think I'm just going to give it a shot and follow the training plan - it will at least improve my fitness dramatically, and that alone is worth it.
2014-11-24 5:55 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Best of luck.  I hope you can stick it out and post your progress in the logs or blogs.  I would be interested in seeing how it progresses.

Just a heads up (and why many people are cautious in their responses) is that you generally need a lot of time to get your body and MIND ready for IM training.  Tons of people can bust out a couple long rides or big week of training, but it's the day after day, week after week, and month after month, rain or shine (or worse, the trainer or dreadmill).  It's easy to look at an IM plan and think "I can do that" and even tear it up for a couple weeks because you are hyped up.  But then the body wants to recover, the mind follows and EVERYTHING sounds more fun than getting in the pool or on the bike.  I would flat out get angry getting up at 5am and putting on the cold weather clothes for a 6 hour ride or dread knowing I had to do 90 minutes in the pool after work.

I honestly don't think IM training is physically as hard as many people talk about, but I also think that people completely underestimate the amount of dedication and mental fortitude it takes.  It's basically never missing a workout for a year.  Rain or shine, hot or cold.  It's getting up and going on a 7 hr ride when it's the LAST thing you want to do and it has completely lost any kind of fun.

I would suggest, if any way possible, getting people to train with.  Company on a long ride helps a LOT.  A masters class or company on your runs may make you accountable to someone and make you train/show up when every fiber in your being is saying "sleep in" or "skip the workout and go out with friends".  

2014-11-24 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
'anything is possible'

you can do it if you are committed and follow a reasonably structured plan to get the vast majority of the workouts over a 3-4 month timeframe
when you need to skip or miss, make sure you get the important workouts for the week done
you will likely need ~10hrs/week for this duration-it is a long distance endurance race and there is much to learn

you are going to be light on overall endurance training but I'm sure you will be able to finish with proper training
despite you run background, it will be the toughest part of the race, most likely, but if you stay within yourself on race day, maybe not

the trick will be to learn to swim for a long distance with as little energy cost as possible while also learning to ride a bike at a modest pace for a very long time
I was shocked by how much that takes out of you-especially when I told my wife after the S/B in my first IM that was longer than I've ever trained...and then I had to go run a marathon!

it will not be a race for your fastest time ever, but you should be able to just complete the distance, even with so little training
the more you can train and learn how to: properly swim with reasonable technique to keep going for the distance and put lots of time in the saddle ...
the better off you will be

My first tri was a 1/2IM distance, my second IM
(I'm certain I could have done the IM as my first race at 4 months, to complete it, but I wanted to race it)
Good luck!
2014-11-25 6:01 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Definitely try to check out the Metasport site and maybe see if you can work out a deal just for the months you are there, at least to get to some of the group OWS sessions and maybe some others like transitions. They also do some swims off East Coast Park--a little rougher--in the group sessions. The water in Singapore is almost totally opaque--it usually looks black underwater--so that is good training for not freaking out in weird swim conditions. (I prefer not to think aout WHY it's black LOL.) There are lots of informal training groups--maybe check Facebook. Running--East Coast Park and Botanical Gardens are great for staying out of traffic. Biking--lots of people do it along the East Coast Park access road (the path is often full of joggers and kids on weekends) out to Changi near the airport and back. The iron types probably have other places for long rides (have heard rumors of a round the island loop) but I don't know them--have only raced there on the bike, never done a training ride. You'll probably find that during the work week, the trainer is more doable, and you might find yourself taking the bike somewhere less trafficked to ride on weekends.

There's a SE Asia forum under "Other Country Forums" on this site. Hasn't been very active lately but some of the info may still be useful for you.
2014-11-25 7:12 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by summon

Thanks a lot guys!

Especially thanks for the Singapore tips - I'm going to live there for two months.

Regarding my stats:

26 yr old male
190cm (6"2), 80 kgs
No injuries, no health issues

Honestly, I think I'm just going to give it a shot and follow the training plan - it will at least improve my fitness dramatically, and that alone is worth it.

So if you aim to finish the event under the cut off(17 hours) and not try to race hard, you have a could pull it off. Young and healthy starting out is a lot different than old and healthy.

Since you have never done one, try to find an event that you can go to as soon as possible. Watch or volunteer you will learn a lot about transition and set up from that. Also you should sign up for a sprint or Olympic as soon as you can (assuming you can do the swim and have a bike). Don't race it hard just try for a medium hard pace and not make mistakes.
2014-11-25 11:55 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Keep in mind that most people here work really hard for 12 months out of the year and expect different things from their races.

The cut-off times for Ironman are not that bad. About 2 hours to swim (just under 3 minutes/100 yds), 8 hours to bike (14 mph average), and 6.5 hours to "run" (14.5 minute mile). Getting through the run will be the toughest part, because even though you've ran over 20 miles before, you didn't do it after the longest swim and bike of your life. You'll probably be able to complete it with training, but you probably want to take the next week off of work...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Signed up for IM - scared of bike & other things Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

scared skeery scared - HIM looms in 2 weeks

Started by kathy caribe
Views: 1157 Posts: 10

2011-05-21 5:02 PM kathy caribe

new bike....scared by clipless pedals...advice? Pages: 1 2

Started by couch potato no more
Views: 2367 Posts: 29

2008-02-23 10:53 AM couch potato no more

My child is scared on the bike

Started by Abear2
Views: 1012 Posts: 14

2006-05-23 4:53 PM AdventureBear

My new bike scares me.

Started by Cheddar_son
Views: 1459 Posts: 20

2006-03-12 1:18 PM phoenixazul

scared on the bike

Started by Abby
Views: 1162 Posts: 16

2005-04-14 2:28 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : September 9, 2009
author : runrgrl2007
comments : 7
One slight problem. I don't know how to swim at all. When I say 'at all', I don't even dog paddle because I am scared to death of water. But I am going to do this.
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.