Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Running/tri books - nonfiction or fiction Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-23 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: Running/tri books - nonfiction or fiction
Just read the RW article about Jamie Quatro’s book I Want to Show You More. Anyone read? Article had me in tears and I’ll have to go get the book. Article also pointed me to Alan Stillitoe and John L. Parker Jr. Just gone to library site and reserved their books. Does anyone else have recommendations on running books? Hubby and I read many (Bingham, Iron War, Karnazes, and others my brain can’t remember right now.)

I also love fiction with even the slightest hint of running or tri (Currently re-reading Jeffery Archer’s False Impressions which I like on several levels but I’m an Archer fan although he is something different). I read so much and love it when I pick up anything and the characters consider a mile or 7 mile run a normal thing. So any suggestions on anything?

Edited by Pink Socks 2014-11-23 7:14 PM

2014-11-23 7:18 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Running/tri books - nonfiction or fiction
I really liked Born to Run. It didn't make me want to give up my trainers but it was a fun read.
2014-11-24 2:53 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Anything by George Sheehan, if you like philosophical type stuff. My favorite is probably Running and Being. I just love some of the things he writes--I've been running a long, long time and it has kind of shaped my personality in many ways (either that or it just suits my personality) so it really resonates with me. Can't remember the author (maybe one of those you mentioned, but also Once a Runner and Again to Carthage. I also have an old book that someone got me when I was a teenager--not sure if it's still in print, but it's called The Purple Runner--a very interesting read.

As for tri, I haven't read many books, since I got into the sport here and English books are hard to come by. I found Iron Wars kind of boring. Maybe too much macho trash talk. I did like Chrissie Wellington's book, though. There is a popular book (forget title, surely someone else here knows it) that profiles a bunch of different ordinary people, including at least one BT-er, training for IMAZ. Quite well-written but I found it a bit repetitive after a while. I'm not that much into full IM as a goal, so it mainly just put me off doing one after reading about how grueling and time-consuming everyone's training was, and how horrible a time many had with the race itself.
2014-11-24 7:39 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Gilbert Tuhabonye - This Voice in My Heart:  A Runner's Memoir of Genocide, Faith, and Forgiveness. 

2014-12-03 10:21 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Anything by George Sheehan, if you like philosophical type stuff. My favorite is probably Running and Being. I just love some of the things he writes--I've been running a long, long time and it has kind of shaped my personality in many ways (either that or it just suits my personality) so it really resonates with me. Can't remember the author (maybe one of those you mentioned, but also Once a Runner and Again to Carthage. I also have an old book that someone got me when I was a teenager--not sure if it's still in print, but it's called The Purple Runner--a very interesting read.

As for tri, I haven't read many books, since I got into the sport here and English books are hard to come by. I found Iron Wars kind of boring. Maybe too much macho trash talk. I did like Chrissie Wellington's book, though. There is a popular book (forget title, surely someone else here knows it) that profiles a bunch of different ordinary people, including at least one BT-er, training for IMAZ. Quite well-written but I found it a bit repetitive after a while. I'm not that much into full IM as a goal, so it mainly just put me off doing one after reading about how grueling and time-consuming everyone's training was, and how horrible a time many had with the race itself.

"You Are An Ironman" by Jacques Steinberg
2014-12-03 3:04 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running", but Haruki Murakami.

From Amazon:

"An intimate look at writing, running, and the incredible way they intersect, from the incomparable, bestselling author Haruki Murakami.While simply training for New York City Marathon would be enough for most people, Haruki Murakami's decided to write about it as well. The result is a beautiful memoir about his intertwined obsessions with running and writing, full of vivid memories and insights, including the eureka moment when he decided to become a writer. By turns funny and sobering, playful and philosophical, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running is rich and revelatory, both for fans of this masterful yet guardedly private writer and for the exploding population of athletes who find similar satisfaction in athletic pursuit"

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Running/tri books - nonfiction or fiction Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Top Five Favorite Fiction Books Pages: 1 2

Started by misscullen
Views: 1759 Posts: 44

2008-03-13 5:14 PM kanders

Truth or Fiction? Pages: 1 2

Started by pinktrigal
Views: 1655 Posts: 44

2008-03-13 2:24 PM wurkit_gurl

Stranger than Fiction...

Started by WaterDog66
Views: 779 Posts: 4

2008-02-01 1:07 PM condorman

I'm trying to track down juvenile fiction from the 1980's

Started by crpadiem
Views: 564 Posts: 12

2007-02-09 5:09 PM maggyruth

books books books

Started by stina76
Views: 1031 Posts: 4

2003-11-25 8:26 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Resources you can trust to improve your endurance sport diet
date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : December 11, 2007
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.

date : January 29, 2006
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.