General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St. Anthony's Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-24 2:08 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread
Is anyone else a first time triathlete who plans to attend this Sprint Tri? I am in Atlanta and would love to find others who plan to participate.

Thank you,
Andrea

2014-11-25 9:41 AM
in reply to: Aschroer

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread

Not a first-timer, but I'm planning to be at St A's.  Currently trying to decide between doing the Oly or sprint.  Right now I'm leaning more towards doing the sprint.

Mark

2014-11-25 4:36 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

New user
Hollywood, FL
I'm on the same boat, not a beginner, but planning to be at St A's for the first time. I'm dealing with a back injury; so, I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it nor what race to choose now. If all goes well, I want to race the Olympic distance.
2014-12-01 9:47 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Great! I just registered for the Sprint. I am completely new at this and just ordered "Triathlon Training Fundamentals" by Peveler. I welcome any suggestions you may have. Right now, I am comfortable with the 12.5 mile bike, the swim may be sticky as I am taking swimming lessons right now to learn freestyle and put my face in the water. I have been swimming breast stroke for years but above water. I swim side and back stroke pretty well. I have been a walker in the past but I have just started running and got up to 3 miles last week. I think with enough practice I can be ready in April.

Thanks for the kind reply!
Andrea
2014-12-03 1:46 PM
in reply to: ccjr

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Sure hope your back injury gets better and you can go for the O-Tri. Worst case, it would still be excited to do the Sprint.
2014-12-18 3:12 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Just got my sprint entry confirmation email today. 

Mark

2014-12-19 6:57 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Great! I am starting to track all my workouts in this site. I am basically able to do about five or six days a week 35-45 minutes a day. I know I will need to start moving to two a day trainings but I wanted to wait till my endurance increases. I am still struggling a lot with the run portion. I can barely make the 3.1 miles. I guess I need to start shooting to get to at least 4 miles by mid February.
2014-12-20 5:55 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by Aschroer

Great! I am starting to track all my workouts in this site. I am basically able to do about five or six days a week 35-45 minutes a day. I know I will need to start moving to two a day trainings but I wanted to wait till my endurance increases. I am still struggling a lot with the run portion. I can barely make the 3.1 miles. I guess I need to start shooting to get to at least 4 miles by mid February.

Stay motivated even if you can't run the whole thing by the race or even freestyle the whole distance. During my first tri I used a bit of breast stroke and I also walked during the run. My tip would be to make sure you do some bricks/transition runs. For starters after one of your bike rides through on some running shoes and run for 5 minutes.
2014-12-22 9:21 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Great suggestion, thank you! I ran my longest run Friday of 3.6 miles! Very excited. My knee hurt pretty bad through the first 1.5 mile and then went numb and I actually ran much better after that. Rested the knee this weekend and did 30 minutes of swimming both Sat and Sun. I am going to start Bricks in mid-January. Appreciate the help!
2015-01-05 6:27 PM

User image

Aschroer- last year I did st a's sprint as my first tri and this year I hope to beat my time. I back-stroked some of the swim, road a mountain bike and ran-walked the run. Now, after a year of training like as triathlete, I feel like I will do much better. It's a big event and can be overwhelming but it's awesome. Just keep training, learn as much as you can, and you will do great.
2015-01-28 2:22 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I did St. A's a couple of years ago, a really well run race. Got the sprint on my calendar for this year as a bit of nagging metarsalgia limits my running

2015-04-16 12:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Everyone ready for next week? 

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2015-04-16 12:12 PM
2015-04-24 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

The weather forecast has improved and it looks like the thunderstorms are going to hold off until Sunday night. 

Good luck to all and be safe!

If anyone wants to meet up after the race I'll probably be hanging around the beer truck wearing my Sarasota Storm Tri Club kit. 

Mark

2015-04-27 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

So how did everyone do?  I finsihed 8th in M60-64 in the sprint.  Great swim followed by very average bike & run.  But had a great time!

Mark

2015-08-19 9:26 PM

Missed out because I'm still nursing a hamstring pull. I was there in spirit!
2016-02-11 10:10 AM

Just registered for this year's Sprint. Will be my second OWS tri, but first doing 750M swim (first sprint tri was .25mi swim). Slightly nervous about it! Anyone else doing this race for the first time in 2016?

2016-02-11 10:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'm doing the sprint again this year, last year was the first time for me.  

The swim was the best part of my race last year.  The sprint starts after the Oly race and by the time my wave started the wind had died down and  the water was pretty flat, making for good swimming conditions.  I just tried not to go out too fast at the start and settle into a comfortable pace.  Last year the swim started in the water and there was a nice long run to the first turn which let the pack stretch out so there wasn't the pushing and banging you see with some races.

It's a LONG run from swim exit to transition, about 500 yards as I recall.  I didn't handle that too well and it's something I'm going to work on specifically this year. 

Good luck with your training.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2016-02-11 10:43 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St. Anthony's Triathlon - Sprint Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Anthony's Triathlon - Meek & Mighty Course : Official Thread

Started by kewelbeanz
Views: 745 Posts: 1

2014-11-05 7:24 PM kewelbeanz

St. Anthony's Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by cwpeters
Views: 9178 Posts: 55

2014-12-01 9:51 AM Aschroer

St. Anthony's Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by boxer
Views: 27522 Posts: 219

2011-05-07 3:12 PM TrkHilo2k

St. Anthony's Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by [email protected]
Views: 20844 Posts: 166

2010-10-06 3:07 PM TrkHilo2k

St. Anthony's Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by triorbonk
Views: 23520 Posts: 244

2009-04-28 1:57 PM debs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!