General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what's a maximum incline for running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-24 3:30 PM

User image

Los Angeles, California
Subject: what's a maximum incline for running
I finally made my first attempt to do a trail run up a mountain and found it next to impossible to keep my structure and balance similar to flat running. I was still doing ok on a fire road leading to the mountain (which according to garmin had an incline of about 10%) but once on the mountain (as per garmin incline of about 30-35%) I found myself leaning and not being stacked over my feet anymore. I've tried some adjustments but never found a solution to get myself back into relaxed structured position. so my question now is what's a maximum incline at which you are still running efficiently relaxing on your structure vs just muscling it up the hill. any ideas? similarly for downhill, what slope would you still be running and what would be too steep?

2014-11-24 4:02 PM
in reply to: woosh

Subject: RE: what's a maximum incline for running

There's no rule. But pretty much, the steeper it gets, the more muscular endurance required of your legs, say, compared to a flat surface, even if running at similar effort/HR. 

30-35% is crazy steep if your Garmin is correct. In running, anything over 15% will probably have you close to walking unless you are able to run at the equivalent of sub 7-minute miles effort.  (I walked all the steep short hills in a hilly Oly triathlon last year, probably close to 13-15% for short stretches, and was averaging a 6:25/mile for the Oly run. And that was with no drop in HR on those hillwalking. And I consider myself good at hills!)

2014-11-24 4:43 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Los Angeles, California
great, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. given my lack of experience running hills I just wanted to know what you can reasonably expect as a proficient runner
2014-11-24 6:14 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by woosh... incline of about 30-35%)...

that's really steep.  ~1700 vertical feet per mile?  Trail runners, when encountering terrain that steep, are typically hiking it.

2014-11-24 6:35 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Los Angeles, California
that's what I ended up doing, just wanted to confirm this was actually beyond human running limits and not just my poor conditioning
2014-11-24 8:57 PM
in reply to: #5069694

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
People regularly run The Incline here, about 2100 vertical feet in a mile. A few have done the Inclinathon, 13 times up and down. The Pikes Peak Ascent averages about a 13% grade over the 13.32 mile course and has been done at an average pace of just over 9 minutes. So they're dealing not only with steep grades, but high elevation as well.

2014-11-25 12:53 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Could you post a link to that file? Sounds like an awesome (brutal) run!
Yeah, powerhiking the steep stuff is not only necessary, but it is wise. After it gets so steep, you are simply more efficient switching off a running gait. Several races I have been struggling to keep up with someone up a hill, so instead of running...I hike. I lose very little speed, but get my breathing much better in control. Once it levels out a bit, I can make a move and pass the guy who is relatively way more winded.

As for descending, that'll come with practice. Try to keep your body perpendicular to the ground (your shoulders will be out in front of your feet). Then, you can use the same stride mechanics as you do on flat ground...just a lot faster. Once that gets too crazy, you'll have to straighten up, and then each step will be tiny bounding brakes. It hurts your efficiency, but gets you down faster than if you end up crashing.

Have fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what's a maximum incline for running Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What's your minimum to maximum volume?

Started by noelle1230
Views: 913 Posts: 10

2012-09-24 6:21 PM ktsdad

running on incline question

Started by Broompatrol
Views: 720 Posts: 4

2010-02-16 5:04 PM Broompatrol

Maximum Weekly Run Mileage Pages: 1 2

Started by mbmoran2
Views: 2621 Posts: 27

2008-09-06 7:56 PM Pollywog

Since we are running around like headless chickens, what's the worst conditions you've ever run in Pages: 1 2

Started by Spokes
Views: 2276 Posts: 38

2008-01-24 2:41 PM CitySky

Treadmill runs with inclines - Do they help?

Started by cobannero
Views: 969 Posts: 8

2005-02-02 9:06 AM cobannero
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Incline Bench Press-Barbell Medium Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Incline Bench Press-Barbell Wide Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Incline Chest Fly- Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 22, 2006
Seated Bicep Curl-Incline Bench, Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : May 16, 2005
author : Glenn
The real secret to improvement in running and bike times is variety within the routine. Endurance activity requires you to vary your training for maximum results.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 1
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 1
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.