General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Signed up for first HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-26 8:29 PM

User image

Subject: Signed up for first HIM
I signed up for my first HIM tonight, the Border Wars Tri in Alton, IL in October 2015 (I registered for Team West, if anyone is curious). I'm excited but also very nervous as I haven't done a tri yet (but have 3 scheduled before October, all Sprints, 2 of them open-water). I was wishy-washy on signing up for it, but discussed it with my wife and she said I should go for it. Turns out that was all the encouragement I needed.

I know that jumping right in with both feet like this might not be the best thing, but I think I've got plenty of time for training. I've got my bike on a trainer for the winter and should be able to build up endurance that way. I come from a swimming background so the swim doesn't concern me overly much. I'm also not terribly worried about the run as I'm doing a half marathon in April, so once I get in shape for that this winter it will hopefully just be maintaining for the rest of the year.

The biking is the only portion I'm really concerned about. I know I'll need to eat during the bike portion, but I'm not exactly coordinated and am worried about falling while getting food out. Has anyone else dealt with this? I'll obviously practice this on training rides prior to the HIM, but it's still lurking in the back of my mind.

Overall I'm quite excited by it and am looking forward to it. I'm planning on using a training plan from this site, but am not sure which one yet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2014-11-26 8:53 PM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Signed up for first HIM
Good luck! sounds like you're in good shape to train.
For the bike, just riding a lot will help you get better at balancing. It's a good idea to practice grabbing the water bottle and eating, too, but honestly if you follow a HIM training program you'll be on the bike so much that you'll have to eat and drink on it.
I found balancing was a lot easier when I had a bike that was big enough for me- before I ever did tris, I did some charity rides on cheapy bikes from Target that were way too small (though I didn't know it at the time).
You might want to do some longer charity rides, if the bike is where you're least comfortable. It will get you used to riding on roads with lots of other bikers around, and it should be fun.
2014-11-26 9:44 PM
in reply to: chayes

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
This was all a few years ago now. I started running in September, did a 5km run in Oct, bought a road bike 2 weeks later and promptly signed up for the Muskoka Half ironman race for the next Sept. I had no running back ground, no swimming background and a minimal amount of mountain biking experience. I religiously followed an Oly plan from the site then rolled into a half ironman plan on this site as well. Unfortunately my dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer that summer so training ground to a halt but I still did the HIM. I did a hand full of events that first year as well. Not easy but it is possible with dedicated training and especially seeing as you seem to have a bit better athletic back ground.

Good luck and train hard.

2014-11-27 6:18 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm a first-class klutz and was also really worried about the eating and drinking aspect of things, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Personally I find it easiest to keep the food in a bento box, which is a little pouch that attaches to the stem/top tube of the bike (in front of you). I find this a lot easier to access than a jersey pocket in back, or a pocket on my trisuit. You see many athletes taping gels to their frame, but mine have always fallen off when I did that--easy to access but aparently the adhesive doesn't work in hot, humid conditions, or we have poor quality duct tape here. This once resulted on my doing almost an entire Oly on zero food (managed to pick up some fruit leather I'd left in a bag in transition, and eat a bit of that on the run), so haven't tried it again. If you're eating fruit or energy bars on the bike, have them all unwrapped and cut into bite-size pieces so all you have to do is grab and eat. Gus are easier to handle (but still, practice) , but I find that for that distance I also need something more solid in my stomach. If you have aerobars, an aerobottle is nice because you can then not bother with reaching for drink bottles (but you will have to refill it on the course, which has to be practiced). Whatever you do, work it out in training, and then do it on all your long rides, until it's second nature.
2014-11-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: #5070335

User image

Thanks for all the support and well-wishes! It really does mean alot. I especially liked the tip about the bento box; I had no idea such a thing existed, but I'll be getting one fairly soon. It fits my needs perfectly.

As far as hydration goes, I was planning on wearing a camelback. I have used one on training rides and really like it. Are they legal in races? Everyone talks about bottles so I'm not sure. I hope so, as my camelback is my preferred method of hydration, even if it does hurt my aerodynamics slightly. I'm not in this to win it, just to finish.
2014-11-27 11:12 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I've never heard of a camelback being illegal but have you ever ridden that far with one?  Seems like it might get hot.  I've never used one myself though.

2014-11-27 11:29 AM
in reply to: #5070434

User image

I have never ridden that far with one, but I figure it'll happen in training and I can make a decision then. I'll likely use bottles on the trainer this winter to get used to it in a controlled environment.
2014-11-27 4:11 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, they should be legal. People sometimes use them here as long races require a LOT of water and aid stations aren't always up to international standards, especially with adventure races. One cyclist I know has done a lot tri relays, is very competitive (50+ and can ride about 1:10 for an Oly) and she always has her Camelback. She comes from an MTB background and is just more comfortable with it.
2014-11-28 12:33 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

New user
I did quite a few triathlons (and two HIMs) with a camelback. Totally legal, but since I got an aero bottle, I haven't gone back. So much nicer. I was terrified at screwing up the bottle grabs but it's not too bad, just make sure to slow down enough and be courteous to the people handing you bottles.

Good luck! My husband went from 5k races to a half ironman completed within a year. Just stick to your training plan and you'll be fine! Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Signed up for first HIM Rss Feed