General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri balanced with a century Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-29 10:55 PM

User image

Subject: Sprint Tri balanced with a century
I am in my first week of training for my first sprint triathlon in April. I can bike and run the distances needed, but I'm working on my swimming. In addition to the tri, I am wanting to ride a century in the same month. Since i am starting strong in two events, how do I balance my training to accomplish both goals without risking over training injuries?

2014-11-30 1:54 AM
in reply to: #5070752

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Subject: RE: Sprint Tri balanced with a century
I have never done a century but how far apart are the two race dates? What's the reason for wanting to do both of these races in the same month? I typically leave a month in between my races. Are you just wanting to finish the events?
2014-11-30 3:19 AM
in reply to: #5070762

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Well it depends on what kind of century it is and how you plan on riding it. Have you ever ridden one before? If you just want to finish it then don't worry about the distance, try getting to a longest ride of around 60-70 miles on similar terrain and youll be fine. Could probably s/b/r the next day. If youre in a comfortable position on your bike injuries are much less likely to come from your bike when you ramp up the mileage. Now if you feel you want to "race" the century, then I would advise you to do seriously ramp up the mileage, and start doing intervals and such. All this will help your sprint tri bike leg, but take time away from your run and swim trainjng ofc.
2014-11-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: #5070767

User image

The longest ride I have done has been 58 miles. I chose the tri date first and then my wife signed up for the century ride and I thought 'why not do both'. I need the swimming training bad. I choose the sprint over a half strictly because I have never swam 750 meters straight. It's bad technique mostly and I have hired a coach. Right now I am swimming 2x at 25 minutes, run 1x at 25 minutes, bike 1x at 1 - 1 1/2 hours, and the a run/bike brick on the weekend. I am thinking about keeping this schedule, just ramp up the mileage. Does that sound right?
2014-11-30 9:15 AM
in reply to: #5070788

User image

That schedule includes 2 rest days.
2014-11-30 9:27 AM
in reply to: Keithb00ne

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I'd try to run more than twice a week.  Ramp up the run mileage via frequency.

2014-11-30 9:40 AM

User image

New user
Northwest
When I plan my training week, it starts with a key workout in each discipline SBR. Then add a shorter, interval or fartlek, workout in each discipline. You should plan to have 1-2 days of rest per week. For example:
Monday- Key swim, 1400 yards as 10x100 with 15s rest between each 100. 60-90 minutes on the bike/spin class
Tuesday- 60-90 minutes on the bike/spin class + transition/brick run 20 minutes
Wednesday- Key run as intervals of 3 min uncomfortable pace: 2 min easy pace for at least 4 miles. Swim 800-1400 yards
Thursday- REST
Friday- Run 3-5 miles conversational pace
Saturday- Key bike, long ride
Sunday- REST
2014-11-30 9:52 AM
in reply to: #5070789

User image

I have read things that say you should only brick once a week. Is there some science behind that?
2014-11-30 10:15 AM

User image

New user
Northwest
IMO, brick workouts build muscle memory. They teach your body to transition from one sport to the next with less stress. Many athletes may experience dizziness/vertigo when transitioning from swim to bike. When transitioning from bike to run, many may have issues relating to their power output on the bike and/or cadence. Practicing will help you overcome obstacles on race day.
2014-11-30 10:57 AM
in reply to: chicograds

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Unless you are concerned with winning, brick workouts likely have little utility for you.  Good frequency on the run at an easy pace is your key to having a good day on the run.

2014-11-30 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Keithb00ne I have read things that say you should only brick once a week. Is there some science behind that?

I often quote Jordan Rapp when it comes to bricks as I thought he articulated it well...

Running off the bike is a neuromuscular skill. Basically, you train your body to quickly make the switch from the neuromuscular firing pattern for cycling to that of running. This is why bricks are more important for shorter events and why, over time, the more experienced you are as a triathlete, the less you actually need them.

Nobody needs to practice running sh*tty (running on "tired legs"); the point of a brick is the exact opposite, to practice running WELL (with good form) after cycling.

If you understand this, it will help to explain when to run off the bike, and also what you are (or should be) trying to achieve with that workout.

The point is to learn to run correctly. And then to train and race/pace appropriately such that you can maintain good form.

There is some skill involved in running correctly. And there is some skill involved in running off the bike effectively. But running off the bike effectively necessarily requires all the skills that are required for good running. Practicing running off the bike a lot without the required skills is like trying to learn calculus without knowing algebra.

Learn to run well. THEN learn to run well off the bike. But no matter how you look at it, running off the bike is ONLY a skill. Running - in any context - is certainly a skill, but it's also overwhelmingly fitness-reliant (like swimming). So the best training is to do whatever will allow your run training to be most effective. And that's NOT going to be running when you are tired from cycling.

2014-12-01 7:07 AM

User image

Exton, PA
make sure you get some long rides in before that century. being in the saddle for 5 to 6 hours is a lot different than 1 to 2.
2014-12-01 5:14 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by mike761

make sure you get some long rides in before that century. being in the saddle for 5 to 6 hours is a lot different than 1 to 2.

yes agree.

the century is most likely the event that you need to prepare most for. Even though you might be just "doing it for fun", 100miles is a long ride.
Especially if it is hilly / wind / etc. Biking 50 miles is one thing, but 100 is much tougher. Usually the 75 mile mark is when things start hurting and getting hard.

Also getting proper hydration / nutrition on the century is important, which is also something you will understand better with proper distance training.
2014-12-03 5:00 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Originally posted by mike761

Last spring, I did a metric century on Sat and a Sprint Tri on Sunday. Things went pretty good. I actually improved my bike split form the previous years.

Lots of riding before the event. Mine was in April so I did a lot of spinning in the gym during the cold winter months.

I did a century ride a few months later and yeah, miles 80-103 were tough.
2014-12-22 3:24 PM

User image

I drafted a custom training program. How does this sound? My goal is to build volume.

Mondays: Long Run, starting at 20 minutes increasing 10% every week, with a rest week of -40% effort every forth week. By race day my longest run will be 38 minutes
Tuesdays: Rest Day
Wednesdays: Swim 30 minutes
Thursdays: Brick of Bike @ 25% effort of long ride and 40% effort of long run
Fridays: Rest Day
Saturdays: Long Ride, starting at 17 miles increasing 10% each week. My longest ride before my century will be 65 miles.
Sundays: Swim 30 minutes

At the start my program, I will be working out 3.2 hours/week and by the time my century and sprint tri gets here I will be at 8.6 hours/week.

Send me your email address and I have this in Excel format.
2014-12-22 3:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Keithb00ne I drafted a custom training program. How does this sound? My goal is to build volume. Mondays: Long Run, starting at 20 minutes increasing 10% every week, with a rest week of -40% effort every forth week. By race day my longest run will be 38 minutes Tuesdays: Rest Day Wednesdays: Swim 30 minutes Thursdays: Brick of Bike @ 25% effort of long ride and 40% effort of long run Fridays: Rest Day Saturdays: Long Ride, starting at 17 miles increasing 10% each week. My longest ride before my century will be 65 miles. Sundays: Swim 30 minutes At the start my program, I will be working out 3.2 hours/week and by the time my century and sprint tri gets here I will be at 8.6 hours/week. Send me your email address and I have this in Excel format.

You have one long run and one run included in a brick, per week.  No.

You can easily add a 20 minute run on each of your swim days if you think you need two days of rest....and forget the brick workout for now.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-12-22 3:30 PM

2014-12-22 5:20 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

He has sort of ignored all the advice given to him on this thread.

2014-12-22 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Keithb00ne,

People have posted alot of good info for you. You also have some USAT coaches posting, so that is a bonus.

Is the century a metric century (62 miles) or a full century (100 miles)? Because that's a big difference.

I would drop the brick no need to do one every week. As you progress in your training you might fit one in. As mentioned I would try to do another run and possible another bike. Maybe you could fit those in, in a few weeks.

Good luck.
2014-12-23 6:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I've done a century the day after a duathlon… wasn't ideal and it was painful, but I did finish.

It all depends on your cycling background… what's the furtherest you have ridden so far? And equally important, what's the goal of the century? To finish in a specific time or to finish?

One thing that I've found, when I train for distance, I lose speed. That goes for both cycling and for running. I tried to combine a marathon with a good sprint duathlon and I was constantly slower than the year before. Last year, I didn't do any runs over 15 miles and I had one of my better seasons… the speed was back. What you do gain from distance training is endurance and that's not to be underestimated in shorter distance racing so it's not all negative.

Edited by audiojan 2014-12-23 6:26 AM
2014-12-23 9:01 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Sorry, let me read it again.
2014-12-29 12:46 PM

User image

So I read and re-read everyone's information and even read more supplemental information. I think I'm understanding everyone now. I am so new to this that I didn't even know what a "3X plan" meant, but now I have one.

Here is where I am stumped. I am building a S/B/R plan that is very focused on building bike mileage for the next 16 weeks. That is when I do the century. That leaves me with 6 weeks between the century and tri. (I moved my race) I don't need all that mileage for a sprint so I probably need to start cutting mileage and adding more effort to the S/R and work on bike intensity.

If at week 16 I am at a 40 minute run 3x per week, 30 minute swim 3x per week and about 140 miles per week on the bike, where should I level this out at? Beginnertriathlete.com "Original Sprint" plan says that at week 10 I should be at 65 minutes of swim, 105 minutes of bike, and 75 minutes of run each week. Are those good targets and just cut just before the race too?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri balanced with a century Rss Feed