Endorfun
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 32s
Overall Rank = 604/949
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 22/51
Pre-race routine:

One of my teammates for the relay came down with the stomach flu on Thursday...I was hopeful that it would find someone other than me to "pick on"...I felt a little "uncomfortable" with any food on Friday...but kept trying to eat as I knew it would help...headache ALL day on Friday that did not go away with Advil...Uhoh..I didn't sleep very well the night before (woke up with a headache) and the dog decided she wanted to be awake at 4AM...so up we were...luckily it wasn't raining and it looked as if it would be a nice AM. I had the "breakfast of champoins" consisiting of a whole wheat english muffin, canacian bacon and a scrambled egg. I took a 1/2 PBJ to have before the swim as these races are rather notoriuous for how long it takes to get in the water. I stopped for a small cup of coffee on my way o the site. The Hubby , kids and my Dad would follow at a more reasonable hour!
Event warmup:

I got in to swim a little and felt pretty comfortable in the water. However, the air was a little cool and as it turned out the race was delayed due to an accident on the bike route. So I found myself stanidng/swimming for about 45 minutes. I got rather cholled and found myself shivering just before the start. I probably shoudl have gotten out of the water but I thought we would start "any minute" and I was in a n early wave.
I did catch up with my husband and kids...the kids were grumbly due to the early hour...but they were very supportive and it was great to see them...I looked for the BT cheering squad...but neve saw ANYONE...hhhmmm...
Swim
  • 09m 59s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

While I LOVE this race I have to admit that it has gottten REALLY big. As a result the wave start was really big. This resulted in huge pushing and shoving. Also since it was a very short race there was no opportunity to really spread out. This made it a rather challenging swim with lots of elbows and hands. However, I felt I did a good job.
What would you do differently?:

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

The transition area was VERY cramped. It was hard to really find a good area to lay things out and since so much was happening things were getting thrown around alot. I felt I had a strong transition. I knew this would be a place where I could pick up a little time. So I felt good that I took some time off from the last year.

Just move and stay focused
Bike
  • 58m 39s
  • 15 miles
  • 15.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Uh oh...I started feeling pretty bad on the bike ride. I did what I had done in the past as far as re-fueling and hydrating...unfortunatley it didn't make me feel any better. In fact, my stomach started churning quite a bit and I really felt uncomfortable.

Not breathe ANYONE's germs prior to a race!
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

I did not want my stomach discomfort from stopping me moving forward...although part of me just wanted to STOP. But I got my shoes off and was off for the run.

Nothing
Run
  • 26m 33s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Despite not feeling well I think I had a good run...started feeling REALLY bad toward the end and I really thought I wouldn't make it without "pitching my cookies"...but a couple deep breaths and a hard drive home...followed immediately by a quick sit down so I didn't barf while anyone was taking a picture...

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

I just wanted to get home...my head was raging and I thought I had been hit by a truck. Got the bike packed up and headed home...spent the better part of the afternoon in bed as I didn't want to disappoint the relay team the next day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The stomach flu

Event comments:

I always like this race...but I really feel it has gotten too big. I actually said that I don't think I would do this race again. Too many people in too small a place. It leaves a lot of opportunity for discouragement and accidents.

Last updated: 2006-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:59 | 586 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 265/949
Performance: Good
Suit: promotion sleeveless
Course: The course was a triangular course going clockwise. The water was REALLY shallow.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:39 | 15 miles | 15.35 mile/hr
Overall: 718/949
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: This is a rather hilly course, rolling but with nice shoulders. Out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:33 | 03 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Overall: 667/949
Performance: Average
Course: Straight out and back with the bongo drums at the turn around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 10:27 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-08-21 10:36 AM
in reply to: #517382

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Timberman - Sprint
oh... sorry for feeling so bad toward the end of the race.  You did it anyways!  Great job.  You did especially well on the swim and run.  Hope you are better. 
2006-08-21 11:19 AM

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

sounds like it's time to step up to the half    I do admit that the transition area was a bit crowded.  Luckily we had a no show on our rack (the next day) so we got a bit more room to spread out.

I like the organization, and I liked the check-in over at Gunstock.  My son and I ski there so we took his father up on the chair lift ride.  It's an amazing view from the top.

Hope you're feeling better!

2006-08-21 1:48 PM

Master
Bronze member
Ouch- sorry you ween't feeling well- you pulled off quite a race in spite of that..Congrats & looking forward to seeing you have a great race at Cranberry!
2006-08-21 2:15 PM

Champion
MA

Laura...for feeling bad and having the flu you did amazing...showing the true determination needed to be a triathlete!

Crude...stomach flu...yuck!

Yet all in all you beat your time from last year...sweet! Kicked butt over your time from two years ago!

Glad you didn't end up sick during the race......see you healthy and fast at Cranberry!

2006-08-21 3:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Awesome times! I wish I could post times like that - AND YOU WERE SICK!

2006-08-22 9:24 AM

Expert
acton, Ma
Hey Laura -- Nice job sticking it out while feeling crappy! 
2006-08-22 12:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Wow! Feeling sick and still finishing in a great time, that's impressive. I'm glad to hear that you did great the following day too. You are on tough competitor!
2006-08-22 1:56 PM

Expert
Manchester, NH
Great job, M- Mom! Thanks for sharing, and congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Sprint Rss Feed