General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USA Triathlon Olympic Distance Age Group Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-12-04 6:05 AM
in reply to: ginger1981

User image

Subject: RE: USA Triathlon Olympic Distance Age Group Championships
Wow thanks for the great response!

I think I may end up doing this race then. My race schedule follows for next year:

Big Foot Triathlon - Lake Geneva - June 21
Racine 70.3 - Racine WI - July 19
Tri-Rock - Lake Geneva - Sept 12
ITU - Chicago - Chicago - Late Sept

With my budget considerations I would probably switch out Tri-Rock for the USAT AGC race.

So my second question is - There is roughly 3 weeks or so between my HIM and the USAT AGC race. Will I likely be recovered from the 70.3? Assuming my training for the HIM will prepare me for the most part, how do I plan my recovery/training in the few weeks between races?

Thanks again!

2014-12-04 8:53 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by jobaxas

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jobaxas
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by rizztalah
Originally posted by ChrisM

I came out from California, last minute, qualified in July for the August race.  I am very glad I did, and had a blast.  I swam my usual Oly swim time, where I am FOP locally, and fell jsut outside the top 25% at Milwaukee.  That pack never broke up, wicked fast.  Also had bike and run PRs, almost broke an hour on the bike and was still outside the top 25%.

Rumors I've heard that Worlds will be in Monterrey MX (from a USAT official, for what it's worth) and draft legal, or South Africa (another board).  So i bet competition would be slightly less fierce next year. 

If it's just a short drive I can't see why you would not do it

Ok, I'm going to sound like a total idiot and maybe I missed something, but I don't understand why competition would be less fierce? Is that because of the possible world location? I'm kinda confused still :/

Yes, some years the AG world championship is in Europe, or some other destination that is expensive to get to .  Last year it was in Edmonton.  Just buying passports for out family cost 900.00, the entry fee was over 300.00, airfare was 2500.00 for our family, hotel was 1000.00, meals, rental car, blah,blah,blah....it's not cheap....but even that was better than a European trip.  Sooooo...in light of the cost of travel, the qualifying race the year before, also in Milwaukee, wasn't quite as competitive as it was last year (qualifier for Chicago) because there are fast people who showed up last year just to go to Chicago because it's cheaper and the world race likely won't be back in the U.S. for some time. ....some of them won't be back this year either.....see below.

This year the World race is in Chicago (last year was the qualifier) so many more people raced.....and some faster ones, because at least it's cheaper to travel to Chicago. 

This year you will be trying to qualify for a World race that may be in Mexico, may be in S. Africa, etc......not as many people willing to shell out the cash for that race.......like I said, It's an AG race......even though it has a flashy title the payoff is near zero except for a very, VERY few fast folks.

Like I said before, the AG National race is a great one....I doubt you'd ever regret doing it.....but keep perspective.

But at the same time - the Aussies, New Zealanders and probably a lot of Europeans won't travel to the US races either.

Exactly......because it's AG racing....there is no return for your investment in almost every case.

Unless you turn it into a vacation. Not that I'll qualify but I do love a vacation1

Do it Jo! I think a little Mad Manatee participation this year would make the race even better
2014-12-04 9:09 AM

Master
Northern IL

Dropping Tri-Rock is what I was thinking when seeing that list as well. It tends to be an expensive race. I'm far more course oriented than other people in my selection, but would actually consider Nationals ahead of that one because of what Nats is and that it's likely to move the next year.

The Racine HIM 3 weeks before certainly isn't optimal, but you can still give yourself a chance to move along well at Nationals. To start, prioritize recovery well above everything for most of, if not the full week after the HIM. I like some activity and find it to help speed things along, however, the intensity of this is only like Zone 1 if you have effort based guides. Another way to think of it is as just extended warm-ups. So warm-up effort, but go a little longer with it. Not trying to build any fitness here, just shedding the fatigue. Swimming & riding really easy gears you can spin well tend to work better than running for most due to the impact.

Then work in faster/harder work up until a few days before the Oly. If you recovered well that first week, there won't be a huge training load to taper down from. I'd be at Oly effort or harder, starting shorter for the hard work and going bigger as able. People vary in their recovery, so harder to say how much for sure you can get to. You should have a lot of fitness built up from the HIM training, so you'd mostly be just trying to get used to going faster again.

If you really wanted to prioritize Nationals as your main race for the season, then you would probably want to move or drop the HIM. You may still be able to race fairly well with it in there, but it wouldn't be optimal towards having the best race you could.

2014-12-04 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
I qualified for long course and did China this past September.

I'm hoping they release the location of 2016 for worlds soon as that plays a big factor in going to nationals.

I could handle Mexico...but S. Africa is going to be tough since I just footed the bill for China.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USA Triathlon Olympic Distance Age Group Championships Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

2013 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

Started by siouxcityhawk
Views: 2428 Posts: 17

2012-12-20 5:02 AM tri_warrior

2008 Age Group National Championship

Started by maubueno
Views: 784 Posts: 2

2008-09-21 10:51 AM rzzqb8

2008 Age Group National Championships qualification

Started by aquaholical
Views: 1451 Posts: 8

2008-06-03 7:40 PM aquaholical

How Do Ironman Championship Age Group Slots Work...

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 1399 Posts: 3

2008-04-08 1:15 PM Dream Chaser

Age Group Championships

Started by c2fd
Views: 735 Posts: 10

2006-09-24 7:41 PM c2fd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.