General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dallas Tri Clubs / General Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-04 2:23 PM

User image

Subject: Dallas Tri Clubs / General Questions
I'm new to the sport and after doing my 1st race last year, I can't wait to do my next one. Somehow I qualified for the Age Group Nationals which I plan on going to. I have a couple questions I'm hoping to get some feedback on:

1. Renting vs Buying a wetsuit. I've never owned or swam in one but looking ahead I'm thinking it's something I'm probably going to need. I only swim in a pool for training and didn't need one for the race I did a few months ago but based on the pictures I've seen online for the Nationals it seems like everyone has one.

2. I've never trained with anyone before but given I want to improve on how I did last time I've realized I could use some help (especially swimming!). Is joining a tri club/group worth it? Also, if anyone knows anything about the ones in Dallas I'd appreciate your thoughts. Based on web research it's hard to differentiate (Tri-Now, DFW Tri, Fit2Train, etc).

3. I'm planning on buying some Aero bars for my road bike in the next few weeks but have been reading a lot about wheels and helmet too. Has anyone not at a professional level really noticed a difference from these components?

Thank you!

2014-12-04 2:44 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Dallas Tri Clubs / General Questions
I am sure those are fine clubs, but someone needs to start one or rename one with.....

wait for it.......

Dallas Tri-ers Club
2014-12-05 6:17 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

In response to your tri clubs question, I'm a total noob and belong to Tri Now. Also, looked at and have a friend who is a member with DFW Tri.

I chose Tri Now because it is a smaller club at this point. Most workouts have 15 or less folks there and some are 5 or less, which allows the coach to really focus on you and give some help. He doesn't just flood you with information either, but takes you step by step through the changes that will make you a stronger triathlete. Workouts generally are: Tuesday & Thursday Swim at 5:30am at Texas Instruments pool, Track workouts Tuesday night at Lake Highlands HS, Hill work on Wednesday nights at Flagpole Hill, and then Bike (indoor or out depending on season) on Thursday night. Generally, there is another bike on Saturday morning at White Rock Lake and a run on Sunday at White Rock as well. Nice folks. Not a huge club. $225 for the year. Also, they offer specific training groups for a certain race. Just started a group training for Galveston 70.3.

DFW Tri is much larger with many more locations and workouts. You do need a membership with a local gym (I believe it is Lifetime Fitness) for the workouts after a certain point. Very social group. My friend is a total noob as well and she has felt very welcomed by the group and is doing great.

Both clubs are great if that is what you are looking for. If one-on-one coaching type interaction is what you're looking for I'd lean towards Tri Now.

Just my two cents...
2014-12-05 1:23 PM
in reply to: brrit

User image

Thanks, this is very helpful!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dallas Tri Clubs / General Questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Question for Tri/Cycling/Running club members

Started by crazyquick23
Views: 983 Posts: 5

2011-05-15 7:45 PM peteweb55403

Tri Club or no Tri Club

Started by goobergirl98
Views: 1737 Posts: 14

2008-06-02 12:09 PM devalyn

Tri club or not to tri club? Pages: 1 2

Started by Rencor
Views: 2499 Posts: 39

2007-01-05 9:10 AM us50090

General questions for a tri-newbie...

Started by ebarton
Views: 1041 Posts: 10

2006-05-09 1:58 PM KMac40

Question about Tri Clubs...

Started by jenneunc
Views: 757 Posts: 8

2006-01-04 7:11 AM dare2trimom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 0
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 0
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.