General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes Don't Smoke!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-07-15 10:53 AM

Subject: Triathletes Don't Smoke!!!!
Triathletes don't smoke.........or do they? I have done two sprint triathlons this year. I figured that training for these events would curb my cravings for cigarrettes. In fact they have only made want to smoke more!!! What gives. Actually I smoke before the event and I feel the most craving for a smoke imediately afterwards, I mean I get a huge nicotine fit after I finish. Can anyone suggest any remedies for this. For a smoker I feel that my times aren't bad for a beginner triathlete for my age group, 35-39, in fact I beat most of my nonsmoking peers. I feel that if I didn't smoke I would literally "smoke" the competition no pun intended. What can I do to quit?

Thanks,
Frank

2004-07-15 11:14 AM
in reply to: #37726

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: RE: Triathletes Don't Smoke!!!!
There is only one answer.  Decide to quit and then don't give in.
2004-07-15 11:21 AM
in reply to: #37733

User image

Chicago
When I used to smoke, I had similar experiences. When I quit, I did a lot of research on smoking & nicotine and I discovered that exercising accelerates the rate nicotine is depleted from your system. As the level of nicotine in your system drops, you begin to experience withdrawal (cravings). The only solution is to quit smoking entirely. If you try to limit or taper your smoking, you are only going to extend the withdrawal period. You will be in a constant state of craving.
2004-07-15 11:24 AM

User image

Dallas, TX
=)

At some point you'll realize that you could be doing better w/o smoking and you'll quit, or you'll be on a long run and realize that your lungs are your limiter.... it all depends on what it's worth to you.

If you're just doing sprint TRIs you may only be hurting your times by a couple minutes - if you decide to do oly or 1/2 IM distances, there will probably be a bigger difference, and your training for those events will also expose this kind of thing.

My girlfriend decided to quit after a century bike ride - she stopped 3-4 times during the 6hr ride to have a smoke, she figured it was just silly to do that and quit.

2004-07-15 11:30 AM
in reply to: #37735

Incredible!!!!

That explains why I really really need to quit after I go for a long run, long ride, or after a Triathlon. All of your posts have been exremely helpful. Really appreciate all your help.

Frank Galvan
2004-07-15 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Triathletes Don't Smoke!!!!
No matter how well you did on your tri, if you did not smoke you could do better! The most important factor in any physical sport like swimming, cycling, and running is your aerobic capacity. If you smoke, your aerobic capacity is reduced. I quit smoking in 1998 because, quite frankly, my breathing was laboured. I consulted with my doctor who prescribed Ziban, a pill which curbs the need for nicotine. I tried it and it worked famously; I have not have a craving for nicotine since that time...heck it has been six years already! Try it, you'll like it!

2004-07-15 11:36 AM

Austin, TX .... Y'all
Frank,
TAKE DRUGS!!!! I smoked for 17 years and told the doctor one day half-heartedly that I wanted to quit. I wasn't that serious about it, but I did stop by the pharmacy and pick up the prescription just to see what would happen. What has happened is I haven't had a cigarette in almost 4 years. ZYBAN saved my life, literally. I know it's kind of lazy, using the drugs to quit, but for those of you that have never had the "nicotine addiction", please don't judge. Quitting cold turkey can be done, but if you really want to quit, ask your doctor for ZYBAN. It will make the process easier which in turn will make it more likely that you'll quit. Even if you had to pay full price for this prescription, think of the money you'll save in the long run--think of all the cool tri-stuff you could buy with your cigarette money. Good luck.
2004-07-15 11:50 AM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Hey Frank!

I quit about a year and a half ago after 5-7 tries (I can't even remember anymore!) It's a tough thing to do. I recommend the patch because it allows you to go through the psychological withdrawal before the physical withdrawal. That was key for me. I've also tried Zyban and it made me nuts. I was a completely useless spaz-out and I finally stopped taking it after having some SEVERE dizziness. So, it's not quite such a god-send to everyone. Statistically, those who use some sort of stop-smoking aid have a better chance of quitting for good.

But whether you take drugs, use the patch or gum, go cold-turkey or whatever, you absolutely have to be at your NO MORE threshold. You have to be whole-hog and ready to do it in every sense of the word. Otherwise, you'll just get frustrated when you start up again.

Best of luck to you, my friend! Oh and my patented 'what do I do with my hands and mouth' trick is to cut straws in half and hold them and chew on them. I still do that to calm myself down sometimes. LOL!

-Kim
2004-07-15 11:59 AM

User image

Las Vegas
It is nice to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. I have my first tri coming up in Sept. and I'm doing zyban and the patch. I have it down to 1/2 a day, but cant seem to just stop. But I know I will. I keep telling myself Do I want to tell people I'm a smoker or a Triathlete? I'm going with the Triathlete. and just think with the money you save you could by a new Tri bike.....
2004-07-15 12:17 PM
in reply to: #37748

It really sucks doesn't it! When I tell people that I am participating in Triathlon they just look at me and laugh but you smoke they say, that is until I kick their butts during the competition. I have heard this a million times. Man if you quit smoking you would really be fast.

Frank
2004-07-15 12:21 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Hi Frank, I used the patch several years ago and a fairly easy time. No Zyban tho, I was in flight status back then and couldn't take it. But I have to agree with everyone's comments here, and I don't think taking drugs is lazy in this instance! It's just using a tool to get one really big ugyl monkey off your back, sorta like a sledgehammer....best of luck Frank! If you can stick to it for just a few days, and work out like crazy in those few days to get the gunk out of your system ASAP, you CAN do it. If I can, anyone can! Cindy

2004-07-15 12:34 PM
in reply to: #37756

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
I have used all the nicotene products you can think of(cigars, pipes, cigarettes, snuff, smokeless tobacco, chewing tobacco, etc). I have been addicted since I was 16 yrs old(now 30) and have only quit successfully the last time (2.5yrs). I quit using the patch once for 6 months and started again after buying just one cigar while in a cigar making shop. The aroma of the tobacco was so good and I figured that I could just smoke one. I ended up smoking one a week, then one every other day, then daily, then switching to small cigars and smoking twice daily, then back to cigarettes and snuff so I could do it continuously. The last time I quit I was using wellbutrin (my insurance doesn't pay for zyban so my Dr. perscribed wellbutrin for the depression that I experienced while trying to quit.) Both the patch and wellbutrin curbs the urge while you are taking the drug. The support tapes/cds with the patches are also good to listen to. I found it best to avoid bars for the first few months while trying to quit because when I drink I used to like to smoke. Back to the point......the drugs help when you are on them, but when you get off you have to have the will. I still have cravings today after 2.5 years, but I know that if I "just have one" I will end up a full time addict again and not a recovering addict like I am currently.

Good luck, it is tough.

Edited by clightle 2004-07-15 12:35 PM
2004-07-15 1:36 PM

User image

New Hampshire
Check out www.quitnet.com
Very good online community that can offer you all sorts of advice.

Theres only one cigarette to worry about and that’s the next one. Don’t smoke it and it will be fine.
2004-07-15 1:59 PM
in reply to: #37779

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
I love that site. Here's why: "You've been Quit 366 days. $634.64 and 1 month, 3 days, 14 hours of your life saved!" Yippeeeee!
2004-07-15 2:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
I just want to echo the wellbutrin/zyban suggestions (they're the same drug--just marketed differently). I finally had success with wellbutrin in conjunction with nicorette gum. But the first step is that you gotta want to quit. I mean really, really want to, because even with the aids, quitting is really hard. Good luck.
2004-07-15 2:36 PM
in reply to: #37794

User image

New Hampshire
kimj81 - 2004-07-15 1:59 PM

I love that site. Here's why: "You've been Quit 366 days. $634.64 and 1 month, 3 days, 14 hours of your life saved!" Yippeeeee!

If the 366 is you then you’ve been quit a year today!! Well done!

2004-07-15 2:38 PM
in reply to: #37800

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Oh hey! Whaddya know!!!! LOL! I hadn't noticed.... Well, now that's a pretty good accomplishment. *patting herself on the back*
2004-07-15 11:32 PM
in reply to: #37760

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT

I just printed off your post and handed it to my 17 year old son, who up to 3 years ago could not stand the smell of smoke.  I figured it could not hurt to show him what happens.  You cannot control cigarette smoking, the nicotine controls you.  Can you tell I'm a reformed smoker.  Never had the habit once the kids were born, but I know how hard it is to quit permanently.

Good luck to all of you who are trying to KICK the HABIT!!!!

Evelyn

2004-07-16 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR

Frank, my .02 ex-smoker cents.

In October last year I decided to start training for triathlons, I was still smoking, 2-3 times per day. 

In my fisrt swimming lesson, I can't barely hold my breath for more than 10-15 seconds or swim more than 10 meters.  The first thing the coach asked me was, "You are a smoker?", I have to admit it to him... He told me, almost screaming in front of everybody, "To be in this sport, you have to quit that garbage",  I was so ashame that I never go back to that pool, since then.  And since October 2003, not even one smoke.

What I want to tell you is no matter if you are a newbie (like me), an intermediate, a pro, fast or slow competitor, smoking is bad for you ... think ... think ...

Carlos

2004-07-19 10:18 AM

I just want to thank everyone for their support. I have an olympic distance Tri coming up on the 29th of August, I hope to do alot better. It's been 2 days since I smoked the last cigarrette. It's hard...

Frank
2004-07-19 10:55 AM

User image

New Hampshire
Frank – its hard – if you want it to be. Don’t focus on what you are “giving up” or what you are missing – focus on what you are gaining.

The first 3 days are the worst. The 1st week is known as hell week.

After that you’ll be fine as long as you don’t get the “Just one” mentality because that road leads to more than one.

Enjoy the freedom. And think of all that extra time you are creating for training!

2004-07-20 1:43 PM

User image

New Hampshire
2013-06-20 9:53 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

I smoked when I was younger, quit for 14 years and then started back up (along with heavy drinking) then got serious about triathlon. Last May was my last binge drinking/smoking day. It was one hell of a struggle. It would be easy to quit if you didn't enjoy smoking! The cravings do eventually go away. You also need to avoid people/places that make you or allow you to smoke. Yeah, it's tough but so worth it. I was diagnosed this past February with breast cancer. Needless to say the thought of cigarettes make me cringe. You decide to do it and you do it. You know the drill!

Patti
2013-06-20 10:31 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Austin

I am at 170 days no cigs. I have pr'd every race so far since quitting.

Do it!

Also, I switched to e-cigs, so not smoking real cigs, but I still get to puff on a flavor, I switch between the lowest nic they have and the no nic flavors. I puff on it about twice a week, and usualy after each race once we break out the bubbly.

Also saved well over a grand between me and the wife not smoking anymore.

2013-06-20 10:54 AM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

almost 8 years since I quit smoking. Used the patch and exercised ALOT !!! but the thing that really helped was to use mints after meals and any time I got a craving...seemed to take care of the oral fixation. It's the hardest thing I've ever done - but if I can quit so can you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes Don't Smoke!!!! Rss Feed  

of 2