General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breath through your nose and mouth at the same time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-07 11:46 AM

User image

Subject: Breath through your nose and mouth at the same time
As it gets colder I try to breath through my nose more so the air has a little more time to warm before it gets to my lungs. Does anyone breath through their nose and mouth at the same time? It seems like it would be an advantage as you could get more air in on each breath.

2014-12-07 12:52 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Breath through your nose and mouth at the same time
I think most athletes breath through both at the same time, and it's not necessarily a conscious thing, it's just how you maximize your air intake. There's a funny story about Chris Froome doing a TT at the TDF one year and feeling like he was going anaerobic partway through despite putting out his usual power numbers, and then realizing after the race that he had left his nostril plugs in (he soaks plugs in some sort of oil to open up the airway but takes them out before the run).
2014-12-07 2:02 PM
in reply to: #5072738

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I haven't paid much attention to it lately (similar to the cadence post either hehe) but it seems I do both as well. When I'm focusing on controlling my breath I believe I use my mouth more. Are you having any issues breathing or just wanting to maximize oxygen intake?
2014-12-07 3:15 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Air and water are going to take the path least resistance. I'm sure you breath a tiny amount from your nose without you realizing it. It wouldn't really make sense to try to breath less from your mouth to try to breath from your nose more. Your mouth is bigger and thus it's easier to inhale and exhale through it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breath through your nose and mouth at the same time Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nose clip/nose plug recommendation please

Started by mrheathen
Views: 1391 Posts: 11

2012-03-23 7:29 AM EKH

breathing thru nose/mouth at same time

Started by cbccard
Views: 3507 Posts: 5

2010-08-05 4:38 PM to the finish line

Breathing. Mouth or nose

Started by Zane
Views: 1213 Posts: 15

2009-07-14 3:04 PM rbtrumpet

to nose plug or not to nose plug...that is the question

Started by up4challenges
Views: 2901 Posts: 16

2015-02-28 8:23 PM Nick B

Swimming: Breath through mouth or nose?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 4214 Posts: 7

2004-10-04 8:11 PM CptnJackSparrow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.

date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
comments : 1
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
It's extremely frustrating and I even get in a bad mood when I run. I think I might have increased my mileage too fast. I have a hard time catching my breath now too, even at short distances.

date : October 30, 2005
author : boneyard
When you can't catch a breath on the swim and your equipment fails, keep trying!!
date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.