Toronto Beaches Running Club
-6C / 21F
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 44s
Overall Rank = 191/675
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 32/167
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, had some toast. DH and I ran around getting stuff ready since he was brining our 1.5 year old daughter and the weather was quite chilly. I had set out race clothes and tried not to second guess myself. It's no joke to be out in -6C but when I knew I'd be running hard it is important not to over dress.

It was nice that this race was in the city. We had a pretty easy drive over and found parking without too much effort. We met up with my running buddy's brother and his family.
Event warmup:

A quick jog the opposite way down the boardwalk. Mostly to warm up. I was hoping we wouldn't run on the boardwalk since it was very uneven

Run
  • 48m 44s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 52s  min/km
Comments:

So, I had the goal to go under 50 minutes. My previous PB set way back in 2009 of 50:05. I had used the FIRST 10k plan but was pretty inconsistent about following the plan. Though, when I did run I was hitting the paces and completing the workouts without issue. It was really a toss-up. I probably could do it but it wasn't a home-run in my mind.

I lined up with the 50 minute pace-elf and i had set my Garmin's virtual pacer to 4:55/km - just a little faster than I needed to go. I didn't want to be looking at my watch too much so i left it on that screen. I would be able to see if i was behind or ahead of the pace and get km splits.

At the beginning I stayed well with the 50-minute pace elf. He was very nice and we chatted a little about triathlons - he did Muskoka this year and i talked a little with him and another lady about races in general. I tried to let them talk more since they seemed to be faster and I didn't want to use up too much energy. I stayed with him to the 5k mark when i think he had to slow down (24:30 at the half way) a bit.

The lady stayed with me for a bit and turns out she has twins the same age as my daughter. I did want to talk more but I told her I was finding it hard and she went ahead. The breeze was quite chilly and I was going into the tunnel vision place where I couldn't focus on much other than keeping going and trying to keep my feet turning over quickly. I was about 11-13 seconds ahead of my virtual pacer so I knew my goal was within reach.

When we turned back into Ashbridges Bay you can see the finish arch off in the distance and I really wanted to pick it up but couldn't. With one kilometre to go I stayed behind a lady in the jacket from the Chilly Half but never caught her. I was debating about how much I could slow down and still get my goal versus trying to pick it up. Finally, I saw Darren and Felicity and got a wave! and came in I saw 59:08 on the clock so I was even faster by chip time ... YAY!

Turns out i had a very small negative split - 15 seconds. Not too shabby!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much. I do need to learn to do a proper warm up - my feet were cold and if I want to get faster I need to warm up more effectively
Post race
Warm down:

Made a beeline to the food. Realized i hadn't stopped my garmin and went to see my peeps and wait for my running buddy to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inconsistent run training - I really didn't put together the greatest training cycle. That said, it's still a great PB!

Event comments:

Really great local race. Very impressed. There's only one aid station but at this time of year it's not necessary. The course is simple and designed for a pb - flat flat flat but the weather could be a big factor.

I also enjoyed the pace elves (thanks to the 50-minute one). I would definitely do this one again.

Last updated: 2014-12-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:44 | 10 kms | 04m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 32/167
Overall: 191/675
Performance: Good
Course: A very simple out and back starting on the Martin Goodman trail in the Beach neighbourhood just on the south end of Kew Park. Head West and eventually turn south to the Leslie Spit (Tommy Thompson Park) and come back the same way. Pancake flat. there is one 'dip' which doesn't even qualify as a hill
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-12-08 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Tannenbaum 10k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tannenbaum 10k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Biggest Loser RunWalk Austin 5k & 10K - 10K Run.

Started by katartizo
Views: 1005 Posts: 1

2013-01-26 9:17 PM katartizo

R4R 9th Annual 5K/10K Run/Walk (Run - 10k)

Started by Miker1818
Views: 1331 Posts: 1

2010-10-24 9:13 PM Miker1818

Old Town Marathon (10K)

Started by Lee
Views: 1650 Posts: 1

2004-02-08 12:00 AM Lee

St Paddy's Day 10K

Started by Irongirl
Views: 1427 Posts: 1

2004-01-20 12:00 AM Irongirl

Home Depot 10K

Started by amber
Views: 1500 Posts: 1

2004-01-20 4:33 PM amber
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 16, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Watch Christina Robeson, Chris Bagg, Janda Ricci-Munn and Lisbeth Kenyon battle it out at the 2008 Multisport World Expo in this 10K indoor time trial.

date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 0
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.