General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is My Trainer Broken? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-09 10:48 PM

Subject: Is My Trainer Broken?
So I'm getting on my Mag trainer yesterday, and the usual whirring is this horrible grinding sound (can post video). Sounds like I'm trying to start a lawnmower. I figure something's a little loose or aligned funny, but I keep spinning. As I keep ramping up the gears, though, it just feels way too easy. Finally, I'm in my highest gear, spinning 90 RPM... and pushing 150 watts.

Gotta be busted, right? It's not that old-- it's actually the third resistance unit that CycleOps has sent me, and I've only had this particular one for a little over a year.

2014-12-10 6:50 AM
in reply to: runningmon

Subject: RE: Is My Trainer Broken?
I have an old Minoura Mag trainer where this has happened several times. I am guessing your magnets are rubbing against each other. The tire contact roller and the magnetic plates may be held in place on a shaft by hex set screws. Over time and especially if you rock the bike in the trainer, maybe while standing up, the set screws will loosen and eventually the mag plates will contact each other. It should be an easy fix but you may need to play with plate spacing a litte to get the proper resistance.

Hope this helps.
2014-12-10 10:27 AM
in reply to: spalek

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Is My Trainer Broken?
My final and last ever magnetic trainer did that. It sounded like a chain saw. The roller had a bit of up and down movement so I figured the bearings were shot so I upgraded to a Cyclops Fluid trainer and couldnt be happier.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is My Trainer Broken? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Broken Trainer

Started by C_Hassard
Views: 949 Posts: 4

2014-04-10 6:28 PM C_Hassard

Broken trainer - can it be fixed?

Started by vball03umd
Views: 839 Posts: 7

2009-12-31 11:50 AM vball03umd

Trainer: What am I doing wrong?

Started by Rennick
Views: 999 Posts: 5

2005-12-14 12:46 PM CindyK

Signs it may be time to break out the trainer

Started by feagajk
Views: 1165 Posts: 13

2005-10-10 10:44 AM Celeb_ithil

Am I broken? Pages: 1 2

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 1173 Posts: 27

2004-09-16 2:02 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.
date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.