General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you decide if you're ready for an ironman? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-10 2:05 AM

User image

Subject: How do you decide if you're ready for an ironman?

I'm considering signing up for ironman Boulder, but i'm nervous would be my first ironman.

Did harvest moon in 6:30. Starting cycling really in May and worked my way up to 100 miles twice and one 80 miler. I've run 14 or so marathons and used to be a swimmer...
The half ironman went great, I almost felt too good.. i think the 2 century rides and training concurrently for the Berlin marathon helped... So i know i could do the ironman...
Still the thoughts of it seem daunting!!

I barely learned "click" shoes this past summer... I'm worried about having to get "aerobars" for my road bike or a tri bike.. just afraid i will fall over.
Also concerned about the logistics of it all and do you get to go back to the transition area if you are running in the dark to get a head lamp? Or just have to wear it the whole time?
I have a wetsuit and feel like i'm dying/choking, its so tight around the neck it causes me to panic.. So i did multiple triathlon this past summer all with NO wetsuit. Almost everybody else was wearing a wetsuit and passing me, i do feel this is slowing my time on the swim.

I've been a runner for 10 years and swam prior to becoming a runner... I signed up for a marathon before i ever did a 10k race.. Go big or go home.. But i feel like the ironman is a whole different ballgame with super fit, strong, athletic, super fast type people... (Not average slower type people like me)

I feel like i'm not "elite" enough to be signing up for an ironman... (have you been to Colorado? Very athletic, fast, elite type people here...)

Do i need to be more of a pro before risking the holy grail?

Any words of wisdom?

Should i jump or not?

2014-12-10 7:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Subject: RE: How do you decide if you're ready for an ironman?
It sounds like physically you are more than ready...you just need to decide If its the right time to make the commitment to training.

It sounds like you're "sweating the petty stuff"...you dont need areobars or a tri-bike, you can swim without a wetsuit if you're more comfortable, and you dont even need a head lamp on the run, IM races are pretty well lit. If you're out there late enough to need a headlamp, then you probably arent running fast enough to need a headlamp. but yes you can go back to transition or put 1 in special needs bag if you want to.

A wetsuit and aerobars will make you faster and a bit more efficient...but you dont need either. I have both because I suuuuuuck at both lol...I cant tell you how many people can kick my butt without a wetsuit or a tri-bike. I think once you max-out what you can do physically "the extra's" will get you some extra speed. But a crappy swimmer in a $750 wetsuit is still a crappy swimmer, and a good cyclist on a $1000 bike will kick my on a $5000 bike

So...I say if you're looking for a challenge and most important you have the time to put into training then you are more than ready...if you want to be.

Edited by TheCuse 2014-12-10 7:49 AM
2014-12-10 8:53 AM
in reply to: TheCuse

User image

I say go for it. You have the background so you honestly should not have a problem. Just train well. But, most importantly have fun and don't worry about what other people are wearing or riding. The only person you are competing against is your self, and they are the toughest opponent.
2014-12-10 9:27 AM
in reply to: marathongirl21

User image

Richland, Washington
Nobody is ever really "ready" for Ironman. Most of us believe we are, but indeed, we really are not. Anything can happen on race day. It doesn't matter how much you train, how mentally prepared you are, or what you ate for breakfast. At the end of the day, it's 140.6 miles.... anything can happen. Pull the trigger, do it, and have a fun time. You have the fitness level for it.
2014-12-10 10:34 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

It's hard to decide if you're ready for an Ironman.  

Once you sign up, you'll train and wonder if you're going to be ready.
You start to taper and you wonder if you're ready.
You get to the venue, pack your gear, try to sleep, and wonder if you're ready.
You get to the start line and wonder if you're ready.  
The gun goes off and you start racing.  
You sign up for another and repeat it all again.  

Instead of asking whether you're ready for an Ironman, ask...

Am I ready to TRAIN for an Ironman?  
Can I devote the time to training for an Ironman?
Can I devote the energy to training for an Ironman?
How will everything else in my life get done while I'm busy training for an Ironman?  

Am I prepared for the expense of training and competing in an Ironman?  
Race fees
Travel expenses
Gear (as a runner, you know that even though you have shoes, you'll be buying new shoes.  It's the same with cycling.)  
Nutrition (sports drink, training nutrition, additional eating when you're burning 4000 calories/day)

You signed up for a marathon even though you didn't see yourself as an "elite" or "pro" runner.  There's no additional mystique behind an Ironman...we're mortals too. Go look at race results.  You'll find results for super-fit, super-athletic people as well as us average people and even people you wouldn't otherwise see as Ironman finishers.  (I had a friend in the club who couldn't run because of a bone problem in his heel.  He put on hiking boots and a cat-in-the-hat outfit after finishing the bike and WALKED to a very respectable finish.)  Aren't YOU from Colorado?  Doesn't that make you one of those super-fit people you're worried about?    Consider yourself one of them and soon enough, you'll be one of us (i.e. an Ironman finisher).  

As for gear, you'll get more comfortable with the constricted feeling of the wetsuit the more you train with it.  You'll get better with cycling the more you train.  You don't need a tri-bike or aerobars (but it is nice to have them).  

Final question to consider...

WHY do I want to do an Ironman?  

Once you've satisfied yourself with the answers, (nudge) you're ready to sign up for one.  

2014-12-10 4:33 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

Master
, California

Set the goal and make it happen.  I can tell you on the first one, for just about everyone, your day will not go according to plan.  But keep a good frame of mind knowing that you can get to the finish line, and be willing to make small adjustments along the way.  If you were able to stick to the training then you've given yourself every chance at success.

People on these forums can help you fix other issues like the wetsuit.  But you're the one who has to commit to the workouts.  If you're consistent in that, then you'll do fine.

2014-12-11 2:54 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by McFuzz

It's hard to decide if you're ready for an Ironman.  

Once you sign up, you'll train and wonder if you're going to be ready.
You start to taper and you wonder if you're ready.
You get to the venue, pack your gear, try to sleep, and wonder if you're ready.
You get to the start line and wonder if you're ready.  
The gun goes off and you start racing.  
You sign up for another and repeat it all again.  

Instead of asking whether you're ready for an Ironman, ask...

Am I ready to TRAIN for an Ironman?  
Can I devote the time to training for an Ironman?
Can I devote the energy to training for an Ironman?
How will everything else in my life get done while I'm busy training for an Ironman?  

Am I prepared for the expense of training and competing in an Ironman?  
Race fees
Travel expenses
Gear (as a runner, you know that even though you have shoes, you'll be buying new shoes.  It's the same with cycling.)  
Nutrition (sports drink, training nutrition, additional eating when you're burning 4000 calories/day)

You signed up for a marathon even though you didn't see yourself as an "elite" or "pro" runner.  There's no additional mystique behind an Ironman...we're mortals too. Go look at race results.  You'll find results for super-fit, super-athletic people as well as us average people and even people you wouldn't otherwise see as Ironman finishers.  (I had a friend in the club who couldn't run because of a bone problem in his heel.  He put on hiking boots and a cat-in-the-hat outfit after finishing the bike and WALKED to a very respectable finish.)  Aren't YOU from Colorado?  Doesn't that make you one of those super-fit people you're worried about?    Consider yourself one of them and soon enough, you'll be one of us (i.e. an Ironman finisher).  

As for gear, you'll get more comfortable with the constricted feeling of the wetsuit the more you train with it.  You'll get better with cycling the more you train.  You don't need a tri-bike or aerobars (but it is nice to have them).  

Final question to consider...

WHY do I want to do an Ironman?  

Once you've satisfied yourself with the answers, (nudge) you're ready to sign up for one.  

^ this is excellent.

Basically you put your sweaty palm on the mouse & shaky finger on the mouse button and click "SUBMIT" to Active.com and then get a training plan.

2014-12-12 10:06 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Veteran
South dakota
Boulder is a fun race.

I did it as my first IM. It does take time to train, if you are willing to do that your ready
2014-12-15 11:09 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by marathongirl21 IAny words of wisdom?

Couple of thoughts:

Practice will get you there with your "click" shoes.

Most IM courses are fairly well-lit at least for turns, I don't see a whole lot of head lamps or lights on the run course. But you can always put a headlamp in your special needs bag and pick it up at the halfway point. For my last, I carried just the "light" part (removed it from the head strap) in the pouch on my hand-held water bottle so I could pull it out whenever I needed it.

I cautiously throw this out there, but last year I finally worked up the nerve to cut the neck of my wetsuit. Mine was also choking me and I just used a pair of scissors to cut more of a "scoop neck" rather than it being like a "turtle neck" - I only cut just more than an inch off but it made all the difference in the world. 

2014-12-15 11:53 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Master
, California

Originally posted by lisac957

Couple of thoughts:

Most IM courses are fairly well-lit at least for turns, I don't see a whole lot of head lamps or lights on the run course. But you can always put a headlamp in your special needs bag and pick it up at the halfway point. For my last, I carried just the "light" part (removed it from the head strap) in the pouch on my hand-held water bottle so I could pull it out whenever I needed it.

I cautiously throw this out there, but last year I finally worked up the nerve to cut the neck of my wetsuit. Mine was also choking me and I just used a pair of scissors to cut more of a "scoop neck" rather than it being like a "turtle neck" - I only cut just more than an inch off but it made all the difference in the world. 

That's a good point on the wetsuit.  The other thing is to really work the legs upward after you put it on, so it isn't pulling down on your shoulders.

2014-12-15 1:49 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by lisac957

Couple of thoughts:

That's a good point on the wetsuit.  The other thing is to really work the legs upward after you put it on, so it isn't pulling down on your shoulders.

in addition to pulling up the wetsuit on the legs & stomach area, I find putting on LOTS of body glide on the chest, arms, neck and shoulders really helps to keep the wetsuit from constricting so much.

2014-12-16 5:02 PM

User image

well i did it! i signed up.
Just needed a little convincing! )
I knew i'd be kicking myself if it sold out before I signed up.
I bought the $90 insurance, mainly because i've seen a few crashes on the bike.. and even though i live in a pretty bike friendly state its pretty dangerous!
Ordered 2 books, one i saw mentioned on here Don fink, and i have 2 others.. but personally most of the training plans i've seen online and in books don't seem to provide enough training imo. Also they base the training on time, not distance, for slower people, this is just not going to be enough training.
I looked at many plans online and in books and finally just came up with my own which worked well for me.
my plan will probably include doing as many centuries as possible so that 100 miles will feel relatively easy!

Do i need to consider getting a tri bike? What are the benefits?

and regarding the other comment about cutting the wetsuit, the place i bought it from online actually told me i could do that, that i could cut as long as i don't cut past the seam. i don't know if it will help but should probably try that before i buy another one. The one i have fits well, its real stretchy and i can move well with my arms, its just the neck. but i really feel like it slowed me down not wearing one, so many groups behind me passed me and i'm not that slow. ha or maybe i am.. the water was like 62F i think at the half ironman.. i was like 1 of 3 people without a wetsuit..in first groups to start and close to last to finish.. :/

i'll see what this don fink book has and modify it.
My goal is to not be in pain and to finish.
2014-12-17 6:29 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Don Finks "be iron fit" plan is more than enough training to finish very comfortably (in my opinion). I think its great for first timers...if you follow the training, and you run your race according to heart rate and dont gas yourself at some point you will finish and enjoy the day!

I'm not sure its the best plan for getting faster...but I thought it was a great way to start. I'm not fast, and Im never going to be fast so it worked great for what I wanted.

Best advice I heard while training for my 1st was "find a plan...and stick to the plan" follow it, sick to it, dont change it 6x during training...
follow it during the race...and you will be an ironman
2014-12-17 7:31 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Woot!!  (Grin)

I'm glad the nudges worked.  Now it's time to train.  

Tri-bike:  If you're comfortable on your road bike, there is no compelling reason to spend $1500 or more on a tri-bike.  Have you done any centuries on it?  Keep in mind that many cyclists ride road bikes for centuries, double-centuries, bicycle touring, etc.  You can add clip-on aerobars to your existing ride for less than $100.  Riding on aerobars versus riding on the hoods of a regular road bike probably saves you about 5 or maybe 10 minutes on an iron distance race IF you are disciplined enough to ride in an aero position most of the time.  Boulder might have enough climbing that the benefits are less than that.  A forward riding position might leave your legs a bit fresher, so maybe you pick up another 5-10 minutes on the run.  The differences between riding a road bike with clip-ons and a tri-bike is maybe another 1-2 minutes on the ride and 5 minutes on the run.  It's your call whether to invest your money in a tri-bike.  (For the record, I have both and ride my roadie most of the time.  My investment in bicycles is less than the $1500 I tossed out as a starting point because I got my tri-bike used and my road bike on closeout.)  

Century rides:  It might make sense to ride 3 centuries.  Some never ride that far until race day.  A few ride more than 3.  A lot of triathletes come to HATE their bicycle by the time the race starts because they felt compelled to ride a bunch of these.  

Training plans:  Most plans are based on time because that's how people schedule their days.  An hour run has a similar recovery whether you're running 6 minute miles or 10 minute miles.  You'll probably find you aren't too far off "average" so the time based plans will be adequate.  I've "followed" the BT Intermediate IM plan for the first two races and pretty much winged it this last time.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you decide if you're ready for an ironman? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Trying to Decide which Ironman to do in 2015

Started by katgirl2013
Views: 1687 Posts: 6

2014-07-23 4:16 PM katgirl2013

Trying to decide on which Plan for Full Ironman

Started by JHembrow
Views: 1682 Posts: 8

2013-12-17 10:17 AM Kevin26.2

How did you decide you were ready?

Started by femanual
Views: 1727 Posts: 20

2009-10-13 6:58 PM velasqu7

How do you know when you're ready?

Started by DoloresM2
Views: 1799 Posts: 23

2008-10-09 8:48 AM Concretechris

Ironman Wisconsin RUN video ready for download

Started by SimplyStu
Views: 746 Posts: 1

2006-08-20 7:35 AM SimplyStu
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
comments : 1
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.